Best All Around Canal Rod Any Price

Rate this topic

xjclint

Just now, HanoverStriper said:

Hmm, complete opposite experience I have had with them on 2 occasions. 

Did you buy it from a local store? It says right in the warranty $50 plus S&H which was around $25. The first rod was replaced within 10 days the second was much longer. The common thread is the rods are great but fragile. Maybe good on the beach, but not the rocks. I couldn’t buy another one. I’d like to get rid of the one I have.

Missing Wilmington Vermont but loving the Ditch

33 mins ago, mybosox3 said:

Did you buy it from a local store? It says right in the warranty $50 plus S&H which was around $25. The first rod was replaced within 10 days the second was much longer. The common thread is the rods are great but fragile. Maybe good on the beach, but not the rocks. I couldn’t buy another one. I’d like to get rid of the one I have.

I apologize, it was only one occasion with TFO. I was thinking of St. Croix. TFO - I bought the older model 10'6" from KTP a couple of years back. Loved the blank, but the components were fragile. One of the plastic guide rings popped out near the end of the season. They then released the newer, blue model. I called them to tell them what happened, and asked if they could send a top half. Told them I would send pics, and did not want to have to pay for shipping. Guy told me to cut the blank just for the section where the guide was. I mailed it back in an envelope, and they sent me a new one (newer model) within a week. No shipping. Newer guides are much better. I rarely fish sandy areas. 

F TOMBO

Yeah, my being older and never breaking a rod, this took me by surprise. My airwave elites are priced right and take a beating. I’ll sell the TFO or use it as a backup. Everyone has opinions based on our own experience. That’s what’s good about a forum like this. People should express good and bad to help others avoid issues or help members with their decisions 

Missing Wilmington Vermont but loving the Ditch

On 1/23/2018 at 6:40 PM, 27conch said:

Still trying to wrap my head around this comment " throws plugs from SP Minnow size to 6oz jigs just fine "

I don't see how this is possible..??

I don't know how many rods are truly capable of covering that range, but my go-to stick does just that regularly throughout the season.  I fish a first generation, 1 pc Lami SSU rated 2-6oz.  I throw anything from an sp minnow all the way up to the 9" tsunami shad (6oz).  Lami discontinued the first run of SSU's as many of the 2 pc rods had issues, but the 1pc has been bullet proof for me for the last 10 years. I've heard some guys say it's the best rod they've ever fished.  It's certainly my favorite to fish the ditch with.  FSC for the rocks...

I haven't fished the 2nd generation SSU, but my next purchase will be the new GSB...

Edited by rbart

On 1/23/2018 at 6:40 PM, 27conch said:

Still trying to wrap my head around this comment " throws plugs from SP Minnow size to 6oz jigs just fine "

I don't see how this is possible..??

What do you want to know?

Sure, it's not going to give you a nice soft feel throwing lighter plugs, but I can still get the light stuff out there just fine and I can easily feel a Northbar bottle darter working in the current. I also have the confidence to launch a 6oz jig with it with no hesitation. Coupled with a reel with a decent retrieve I have a hard time imagining a better one rod setup for the canal. As far as warranty service goes I have no idea as I haven't had an issue.

I did by a Vapor Trail blank over the winter and it should be ready for the spring (It better be!) so I may be back to two setups again.  :naughty:

I don’t throw over 4oz often. I don’t find it fun. I would rather throw close with 3oz when the current is ripping than launch 5-6oz. That said, XRA1205 is my favorite all around rod. It is a little heavier than the gen 1 SS1201M I plug with most often. 

I prefer US built products whenever possible. My go to rods are all over a decade old, some quite a bit older. 

4 hours ago, ged said:

I don’t throw over 4oz often. I don’t find it fun. I would rather throw close with 3oz when the current is ripping than launch 5-6oz. That said, XRA1205 is my favorite all around rod. It is a little heavier than the gen 1 SS1201M I plug with most often. 

I prefer US built products whenever possible. My go to rods are all over a decade old, some quite a bit older. 

That's an interesting idea. When the current is moving, I am usually throwing  5oz head and 1oz body. Otherwise, I'm only in zone for a few seconds.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. -Thoreau

Most of the fish I catch every season are “half cast” or closer. Most places have “seems” and current breaks closer to riprap. Perfect ambush points.

Also, I catch bigger subsurface during a topwater bite. Tougher to do when you can watch a 20lber smash a pencil, but bigger are below. 

15 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

What's the high end on that? I didn't thin that could throw a big MS. 

I have a 1265 and its 1-3 or a little more on higher end. 

I have both a 1265 and 1267. The 1265 has way more power than I expected.  I didn't realize it until I hooked a few 40's with it last fall. The 1267 is very stout. I can toss big eels and 5 oz skins no sweat. Interestingly enough I find I can wear out large fish faster with the lighter rod. They just make long runs when the rods too stout and gain the edge in the current while the 1265 forces them to work against the flex of the rod more. Just my opinion. ymmv.