xjclint

Best All Around Canal Rod Any Price

44 posts in this topic

So we have a rod shootout. Any price and build, but you can only have one rod. No old GSB for sunrise and an Allstar for dark. If you could have only one rod to cover you from 3oz poppers to 6oz heads, what would you choose?

A few ideas are below, but what do you think? Is there one rod that can actually throw 3-7oz and do it reasonably well?

• Black Hole Cape Cod
  • Black Hole Surf II Reg
  • Century Sling Shot
  • Century Surf Machine
  • CTS S8
  • Lami XSRA
  • ODM Jigster

My XSRA1261mh does it pretty well for me. I don't toss 7 ounces of anything very often though.

My Century 1328 throws plugs from SP Minnow size to 6oz jigs just fine. I used to bring a second setup for plugging but it's just not necessary as the 1328 covers all the bases for me. 

I am gonna go rogue here: Batson Rainshadow RX 7 10ft made at CMS in New Bedford. If someone is on a budget I would go with a TICA Dolphin 10ft.

Surprised there is no love for the ODM or Black Hole. Have heard great things about both lately.

2 hours ago, xjclint said:

Surprised there is no love for the ODM or Black Hole. Have heard great things about both lately.

Haven't used them.

Posted (edited)

Love my st Croix legend 10’6” 2-6 (old version)

Edited by FoliFish

Posted (edited)

For those of you that own a century/Odm or other high end rod, just wondering what your experiences are with the rod out of warranty. $350-$450 is a fairly significant investment. If a rod breaks out of user error, are you out of luck? Unfair to expect the manufacturer to eat the cost.  Likewise if you are tossing 5-6 oz but still in range if the rod and if snaps? I have no doubt that the high end rods are reliable and on a beach with lower weights I’d think they’d last generations. But with the rip rap even with careful placement, heavy current/heavy jigs/some nice fish just wondering how people’s experiences and expectations are. 

Edited by nygnyrredsoxfan

Posted (edited)

Honest questions, what are the problems  with using rods in the 100-250 dollar range for these canal applications?  Can't a 200 dollar rod get the same results as a 500 dollar rod with the same specs?

Edited by topwaterflounder