TroutGhost

Cheapest Rod You Use that is Badass?

79 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

7’ ugly big water  rated 12-30. Can take abuse and throw in the 2 oz. range just fine. Can launch a 1 5/8 topwater, 1 oz. and 2oz jigs well enough with decent control. Beached a fat schooler out front no problem. Rod did fine.

Edited by jeffapeikin
Took out rating of 1-5 (incorrect specs) and changed line rating to reflect accurate li e capability

my Shakespeare tidewater glass rod,customized by me.

cut from the butt 24 inches to 10 ft,added a casting reel seat and took off the bottom guide.

added corktape and an abu 7000ic3.

nice,powerful stick.

rod has a ton of balls and also has a softer top 3 feet.

slings nice with my large swimmers.

can lock up big gators that are running with the currents by adding my thumb.

total cost was 25 bucks for the rod,11 bucks for the fuji reel seat and the butt cap was made from a plastic bolt protector that was on some new machinery that my company bought,took a large drill bit and put it on an old monster lathe and cut out the inside to fit perfectly.

thing is a beast.

did the very same thing with an old diawa eliminator spinning surf rod both work great!

added some casting guides from amazon which were enough to build 8 rods,cost was 20 bucks for the box,,has 8 sizes and the frames are black chrome.

very nice for that kinda bread.

HH

7’6” Andre inshore I got for $20 in a discount bin. Doubles over when reeling in a mackerel. I’ve got 2 30lbers on it

I have the old blue 8 foot sealine X. Think I paid about $50 for it. Caught a lot of blues and bass with that, including a 39 inch striper. Guy fishing next to me was shocked I was able to control that fish with that skinny little pole. It looks small and skinny compared to the telephone poles some people bring to the piers, lol.

7' Quantum Teton Trout, UL. Great panfish or trout rod. (freshwater) Paid $25 & have 2 of them. 

Daiwa Beefsticks, I have several, built like tanks.Paid various prices, but none over $35.

7' Shakespeare Micro 4/5 wt fly rod. Paid $20.  A really fun panfish rod. 

Posted (edited)

I've got a Daiwa Eliminator, 7 ft, that I've used for years to whip big blues and decent stripers.

Edited by GP100

Posted (edited)

Barbie or scooby doo zebco special.  I do feel  badass when landing schoolies with it.

Edited by gellatly6

Uglys, ticas, andes I own them all, they have a place, party boats, lending them out family, etc... not a go to rod but fantastic for what they are, and you don't cry when your brother in law closes the tailgate on them.

Star Stellar Lite Surf, 7'6" 3/8-2oz, cut 3" off the butt and that is one bad ass inshore rod for casting 3/8 jig heads rigged with soft plastics.

8 mins ago, roughneck3 said:

Star Stellar Lite Surf, 7'6" 3/8-2oz, cut 3" off the butt and that is one bad ass inshore rod for casting 3/8 jig heads rigged with soft plastics.

Just out if curiousity, what did cutting 3" from that blank do to it? Did it soften it up to your liking? Not questioning your decision, just curious to the reason. 

Posted (edited)

9 mins ago, Mack26 said:

Just out if curiousity, what did cutting 3" from that blank do to it? Did it soften it up to your liking? Not questioning your decision, just curious to the reason. 

The butt is a little too long to be able to cast comfortably, by shortening the butt it allowed me a more natural cast technique and really allows me to cast 3/8 lead heads with plastics a country mile. I use this rod for schoolies and Speckled trout in the back bays.

Edited by roughneck3