FEW3

"Use by date" opinion's?

29 posts in this topic

I rolled the dice yesterday and cooked a flat cut corned beef that had a December 20th 2017 " Use or freeze by " date. 

It was delicious.  Except today, there is a need to eliminate  "battery acid" multiple times. 

I thought corned beef was good for a very long time and the " Use by" date was just an FDA  joke.

Google has tons of info, but, it seems there are differing opinions depending on the item for consumption (e.g. horseradish) .

What rules do everyone here stand by? 

Like,

" sour cream is already soured so unless it's moldy, it's safe "

Only counts for dairy and baby food, if it’s frozen by that date or reasonably close it shouldn’t be a problem 

34 mins ago, FEW3 said:

I rolled the dice yesterday and cooked a flat cut corned beef that had a December 20th 2017 " Use or freeze by " date. 

It was delicious.  Except today, there is a need to eliminate  "battery acid" multiple times. 

I thought corned beef was good for a very long time and the " Use by" date was just an FDA  joke.

Google has tons of info, but, it seems there are differing opinions depending on the item for consumption (e.g. horseradish) .

What rules do everyone here stand by? 

Like,

" sour cream is already soured so unless it's moldy, it's safe "

Government is shut down. USDA and FDA closed. 

We are on our own. The labels on food are moot. 

Keep the bug out kit close by. 

Most of the use by dates are too conservative. Also be aware that there are "Use By","Sell By", and "Best By" dates and they are quite different.

Cream and half and half keeps much past the use by date, have had cream be fine even 3 weeks after the date. Milk, not so much, perhaps a week. Eggs and butter are other items that last well past the use by date.

Meat is more sensitive, especially lamb and poultry. You have a bit more leeway with pork and beef. After all, the best steak houses age their beef for weeks. And when I worked in the supermarket years ago, the butchers were always buying the out dated beef, as they felt it had the best taste.

And some things that have dates are just plain silly, like soda and even bottled water. Perhaps that has more to do with the chemicals from the plastic packaging leaching into the product than it does with "freshness", but still, it is kinda silly.

Just the other day I was able to score 6 - 1 pound bags of Planters pistachios for $0.25 each (these are usually about $8) because they were going out of date today. Brought them home and put them in glass jars with tight lids, and they will be fine.

Posted (edited)

Good discussion.

These overly conservative dates (probably related to fear of law suits), most likly conrtribute to our suprizing volume of food waste.

Personally, I hate wasting food. I feel like it’s an irresponsible wate of resources.

Before I cook anything, I make sure all leftovers are consumed.

On the other hand, getting sick from bad food is aweful.

I recently read up on the importance of keeping your refriderator & freezer at the appropriate temps. 

JD

Edited by jjdbike

34 mins ago, jjdbike said:

I recently read up on the importance of keeping your refriderator & freezer at the appropriate temps. 

This is also key to whether those “use by” dates are useful at all for some things.  A chicken in cold storage at near freezing temperatures is good for a long time, sitting in a counter closer to 40 it goes much quicker.  Something like milk that is even briefly allowed to warm is going to spoil more quickly than milk kept constantly well chilled.  On the other hand, produce like onions that get too cold in shipment during one of these real cold spells go to crap fast.  

I have no hard rules about this stuff.   Some stores never mark down for dates, others try to move product well before there’s any question of it’s quality 

My son brought home a few cases of Vitamin Water from work a couple of weeks ago and they had expiration dates on them. I was surprised, what can possibly spoil in Vitamin Water?

Any one notice the sell by dates on milk these days is way later than it was years ago? Seems like your milk would last a week before you had to toss it and now seeing sell by dates over a month before. What's changed?

6 hours ago, MickAff said:

Are you still alive, FEW3?????

4 hours ago, jjdbike said:

Good discussion.

These overly conservative dates (probably related to fear of law suits), most likly conrtribute to our suprizing volume of food waste.

Personally, I hate wasting food. I feel like it’s an irresponsible wate of resources.

JD

1. Yep, perfectly fine as are the kiddos.

2. Agree 100% JD, 

5 hours ago, Steve in Mass said:

Most of the use by dates are too conservative. Also be aware that there are "Use By","Sell By", and "Best By" dates and they are quite different.

Cream and half and half keeps much past the use by date, have had cream be fine even 3 weeks after the date. Milk, not so much, perhaps a week. Eggs and butter are other items that last well past the use by date.

Meat is more sensitive, especially lamb and poultry. You have a bit more leeway with pork and beef.

Just the other day I was able to score 6 - 1 pound bags of Planters pistachios for $0.25 each (these are usually about $8) because they were going out of date today. 

That's a killer score for pistachios!

Milk definitely turns on you within a week. 

One interesting milk brand is Fairlife .

This bottle has a best by date March 17th and a consume within 14 days upon opening.

15165574765091149547266.jpg

19 mins ago, Mojoe said:

My son brought home a few cases of Vitamin Water from work a couple of weeks ago and they had expiration dates on them. I was surprised, what can possibly spoil in Vitamin Water?

I am convinced that dates on water and the like are related to the leaching of chemicals from the plastic into the product.....and personally, again,wway overblown.

I think it’s probably that the additives they put in the water are more useless than when they added them

Posted (edited)

Venison can be frozen for a year, properly stored. Depends on how long it was stored before freezing

Edited by FyshhTrap
added

I tend to go by the sniff test. Once you know what say spoiled piece of chicken smells like, and it is

not subtle, you can smell if it's starting to turn or looks funny. Not a very fda compliant method, but i'm still here:howdy:.