robmedina

G Loomis Shortstix

73 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, crunch said:

Bob, I have wrote that Shortstik are very heavy! 8/9 is 128g (4.51oz) and 9/10 132g (4.66oz). For only $50 more I bought Orvis Recon 7'11'' #10 which weights 108g (3.81oz) and has very nice cork and is built good. IMHO Pro4 rods were bad for Loomis reputation.

Esa

Scott at Bears Den told me he sells more Pro4x rods than any other rod for entry/mid level fly fishermen. Maybe it's a regional thing?

14 hours ago, RJ said:

I respect your take on the difference. I have the Pro4 10 Wt 9 foot and find it easy to cast. You are much more into the finer aspect of a trained engineer.

Does the Recon 7" 11" give you the same  very fast action and lifting ability? Your Recon 10 WT is .86 of an ounce lighter with 5 more inches of rod. You should set up a shoot out between the GL SS and the Recon 10 weights and measure the distance ad accuracy between the two~  I'm not convinced that the beautiful cork has much to do with performance. :box: 

If you come to Cape Cod this June we can have Mike Oliver be the judge.  :howdy:

Lifting ability difference would be small but shorter and/or softer rod always wins longer and/or stiffer rod.

There would become only small distance and accuracy difference and when outdoors casting even slight wind will make finding meaningful difference difficult. Longer rod would produce bit longer cast because it is possible to aerialise longer line before line shoot. However rod has very little influence to casting performance until it gets way too soft for the line. Also rod action has very little influence.

Most significant is the line weight. It is funny when in english we "cast the rod" which however stays in hand but the line is cast. When light rod is used and saved weight is used to cast heavier line the performance gain comes good. Of course we can not cast heavy line when delicate fishing is needed but usually when salt water fishing the performance is more important.

Esa

14 hours ago, matt_man said:

What UV resin are you using? I tried it after seeing bugbond or whoever using only resin to secure the guide, popped right off when I did it myself.

Do you have suggestions for cheap blanks or complete rods to use for builds? I could use a short 10 and 12 weight for pike/musky from the boat. Notice any performance difference between 7 and 9 feet casting flies in the 12" range? 

I did use Clearcuregoo. Of course I did normal thead wrap first! UV-resin comes sticky and needs to be wiped using alcohol and then coated with clear lacquer.

I have made three three piece 7ft rods from 9ft four piece fly rods which I did use anymore because they were heavy. They become about 3.5oz and are great now. Whn the new handle is now on second section and it is thin there is danger to break it because it is very easy to lift more weight when rod is short. I have fished Pike from a float tube and they have not broke.

Performance comes from the fly line weight and one weight class heavier line increase performance more than it is possible to achieve changing the rod. When single hand casting using hauling the rod length has very little influence to casting performance until so long line head is cast which short rod makes it difficult to cast. So short rod and heavy line is good when fly is big and head wind is strong.

I can not recommend any lure rods because they are so many. If you can compare rod stiffnesses in shop hanging 8oz weight is good for 10wt rod. It should bend about 1/3 of rod length. For 12wt line 11oz is good weight.

Esa

Instead of epoxy I also use UV stuff on my rod wraps. I use Solarez thick because it dries hard and doesn't need to be wiped or coated (with nail polish for example) in order not to be sticky.

Of the short rods out there, I've only tried the Redington Predator.  It is very stiff but really a line launcher when up-lined a bit.  Have not had a chance to try the Shortstix rods and it looks like I won't get to.  BTW, does anybody know which rod design actually came first - the Shortstix or the (short version) Redington Predator??

OK now that I have had the rod for a week- I bought the coastal quickshooter line at 425 grains. Did not feel it loaded the rod and my casts were so so. I put that line on my bass pro heat 9wt 7'11" fly rod and it felt good- I ordered the scientific angler Sonar titan Int/ sink3/ sink 5 in a 12wt (500 grain) and just got back from test casting. I put about a 5 foot leader of 50# mono on and a big pike fly (tube fly) with a 2/0 hook . 

All I can say is WOW. The line is 105' long- 2 back casts and all the line is out. Nice loops and the fly laid over like a trout fly. I am very happy with the outfit. The orvis hydros Sl V is equally as nice on the rod. Couldn't be happier!

On 1/30/2018 at 9:22 AM, mitchman said:

GLoomis doesn't have the Saltwater Pro4X rods listed on their website anymore which makes me wonder if they're phasing out the Pro4x all together in the near future? They have the trout and specialty rods that's it.....

Yes it's there this AM -- I just saw the SS on their site.

GLoomis doesn't have the Saltwater Pro4X rods listed on their website anymore which makes me wonder if they're phasing out the Pro4x all together in the near future? They have the trout and specialty rods that's it.....

Yes it's there this AM -- I just saw the SS on their site.

There was A GLoomis kiosk setup at the Bear's Den this February and I spoke for a while with the guy manning the both.   Mentioned the talk on SOL and around that folks thought the SS was going to be discontinued and he said that wasn't the case.    He picked up a copy of this years GLoomis rod catalog and pointed out the rod still being listed.    Would think that if they were going to discontinue it they wouldn't put it in the current year catalog ??

HT

5 hours ago, robmedina said:

Tackle Direct now has the 9/10 in stock....

Rob,

I purchased mine at American Legacy Fly Fishing.   Right now they only have the 8 weight in stock but they say that they are "backorderable"  (if that's a word ! )      Nice thing about American Legacy is their pricing.    Currently the Shortstix are selling there for $100 off list, which is what I paid for mine a little over a year ago.   If you want one of these it's a good time to buy.

HT

Gloomis.jpg

2 mins ago, HillTop said:

Rob,

I purchased mine at American Legacy Fly Fishing.   Right now they only have the 8 weight in stock but they say that they are "backorderable"  (if that's a word ! )      Nice thing about American Legacy is their pricing.    Currently the Shortstix are selling there for $100 off list, which is what I paid for mine a little over a year ago.   If you want one of these it's a good time to buy.

HT

Gloomis.jpg

Wow that is a great price! Hmm....how bad would my wife kick my butt??.?

Posted (edited)

Spent an interesting hour or so in the park casting my Orvis Recon 9' 10wt against the Orvis Recon 7' 11" 10wt. 

First thing that strikes you is the weight difference. The 9' Recon is a very light rod but 7'11" is silly light. The thickness of the butts on the rods looked the same to me. It looks like Orvis designed a shorter version rather than trying to beef it up.

I first cast the Airflo Tropical Punch WF10 which felt good on the long rod but you can definitely feel the swing weight of the 10 weight line and rod. Switching to the short rod was a revelation with regards to the swing weight, it felt like a 6 weight. Accuracy was great and it was a pleasure to cast. I was casting easily to 70ft and I could lift off the head and blast it out with one false cast. With the 9' Recon I could cast further but it required more effort. I'm not sure why, bigger lever? 

Switching lines to a Airflo 40+ CSW - Type7 which is what I usually fish on the 9' Recon and it still felt lighter but not as noticeable. Distance was quite a bit shorter in my hands. I was managing 70ft on most casts but on the 9' Recon 85ft+ with some effort. 

Kneeling down to simulate casting from a kayak the short Recon was effortless compared to the 9' Recon casting the floating line. On the Type7 it was marginal and the distance slightly less again.  

Roll casting with 7'11" rod was a waste of time unsurprisingly, certainly in my hands. With my daughter standing on the line the short Recon felt sturdier and a more effective lever for fighting fish which is understandable.

So in conclusion I really like the shorter Recon which surprised me. If you are blind casting heavier lines or for quick shots from a boat or kayak the 7'11" Recon would be great. But fishing from shore or casting heavier fast sink heads I will stick to my 9' Recon because of the distance. But the 7'11" Recon in a 8wt could make a fantastic sight fishing rod wading the flats or blind casting an Intermediate line all day if you aren't fussed about sacrificing a bit of distance. 

Edited by JRT