Sandflee

They BEE facing felony charges

87 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Two boys are facing felony charges after vandalism at an Iowa honey farm killed 500,000 bees, according to police.

Police say the boys, ages 12 and 13, wrecked equipment and knocked over 50 hives at the Wild Hill Honey farm in Sioux City last month. All of the bees — at least half a million — died in the snow. 

Owners Justin and Tori Englehardt found the dead bees when they went to clear snow off the hives on their 18-acre property. “We found complete destruction of our hives and supply shed,” they wrote on their Facebook page.

“They knocked over every single hive, killing all the bees. They wiped us out completely,” Justin Engelhardt told The Sioux City Journal. “They broke into our shed, they took all our equipment out and threw it out in the snow, smashed what they could. Doesn’t look like anything was stolen; everything was just vandalized or destroyed.

He called the crime “completely senseless.” The loss was estimated at $60,000.

The devastation was so complete that the couple feared they couldn’t afford to revive the six-year-old operation. The business wasn’t insured; bee operations usually can’t get insurance, according to Engelhardt.

But a friend of the Engelhardts started a GoFundMe page that quickly raised more than $30,000 in donations. They now plan to rebuild. 

Edited by TimS
links removed

5 mins ago, Shaky86 said:

Why?

Possibly in civil court they could be held liable for damages . . . Maybe an attorney can weigh in on this one as I am curious too.

Hard to do ... most states limit the amount that can be recovered from kids and parents.  This will be charged as larceny & malicious mischief, possibly as a 2d or 3d burglary if the hives were in an enclosure.  

So, bees hibernate?

I always thought they died, and new bees were born in the spring.

Where's Belmo? 

Put the little scumbags to work to repay. Or jail time. They can take their choice. They were old enough to commit the crime. They're old enough to make restitutions.

5 mins ago, Billybob said:

I doesn't say why they did it - I gotta think it was more than just random vandalism. 

likely just being stupid punk kids

Posted (edited)

24 mins ago, Shaky86 said:

Why?

Because they are iresponsible parents. Apparently they thought their kids that that behavior is ok.

Edited by fishing pete
spelling

4 mins ago, fishing pete said:

Because they are iresponsible parents. Apparently they thought their kids that that behavior is ok.

I didnt see the parents mentioned in that post so is that based on assumption?   Where does it say the parents condoned it?  Kids do stupid things and shoukd be held responsible for it themselves.  If its a chronic pattern then maybe i would agree with you to a point but sounds like you are just making an off the wall assumption the parents condoned this.

30 mins ago, Shaky86 said:

Why?

do you know where your children are ? Little bast ids … bet its not the first time

11 mins ago, Baccigalup said:

I didnt see the parents mentioned in that post so is that based on assumption?   Where does it say the parents condoned it?  Kids do stupid things and shoukd be held responsible for it themselves.  If its a chronic pattern then maybe i would agree with you to a point but sounds like you are just making an off the wall assumption the parents condoned this.

Its not like they spray painted a dick on a wall or blew up a mail box. It took time for them to do that. They broke in to a shed destroyed the tools and then destroyed all of the bee hives. I saw pics of it. Big mess. They wasted the famlies lively hood. They didnt just kick over a bee hive they wasted all of them. They knew what they were doing. I am not saying the P's condoned it. But they need to teach their kids how to act. And respect other peoples property.