Update to the reselling rules to address 'flipping'

TimS

So 

1. I can put these two plugs up for sale in 60 days?

2. How does trading a plug fall in the lines of "flipping" there is no monetary profit there?? Thnx

I see that there is a lot of bad feelings about this! I can see how somebody trying to make a business out of it is taboo.... but it's not my business. 

Edited by Fishy4335

8 mins ago, mugs said:

If you b2uy a plug just say for $50.00 and want to trade it for 2 plugs or even 1 that may be worth $100.00 thats considered flipping.

Ok, I am pretty sure flipping is when the monetary value becomes realized... not item to item! But if there is a trade then the person takes that item traded and sells it, then it is flipping because it turned cash!

Edited by Fishy4335

2 hours ago, Fishy4335 said:

So 

1. I can put these two plugs up for sale in 60 days?

2. How does trading a plug fall in the lines of "flipping" there is no monetary profit there?? Thnx

I see that there is a lot of bad feelings about this! I can see how somebody trying to make a business out of it is taboo.... but it's not my business. 

You really need to ask yourself is this all worth getting blacklisted by the builders and worth getting removed from here.

5 hours ago, mugs said:

I cant speak for the sight but it sounds like to me.A plug purchased at a show for $45.00 is worth $45.00 nothing more..Trading or selling..

That isn't at all real world, now is it?

TimS, have you ever posted a comment in response to a "what is it worth?" question that included something along the lines of "whatever a given buyer will pay for it at a given time"?

G.B.O.G.H. -- DT326

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."--M. Mead

Be safe, be smart, be kind.--Gary Crocker, Maine Humorist/Philosopher

52 mins ago, Southcoastphil said:

That isn't at all real world, now is it?

TimS, have you ever posted a comment in response to a "what is it worth?" question that included something along the lines of "whatever a given buyer will pay for it at a given time"?

If your quoting me im going to responde.Guys go to shows they buy plugs to flip that they  bought the day before to double there money.Thats a shady buisness IMO and not fair to the builder.

And yes I'm the guy who sold the Skippy.15 year old collector's piece. Not 1 day old.

12 mins ago, mugs said:

If your quoting me im going to responde.Guys go to shows they buy plugs to flip that they  bought the day before to double there money.Thats a shady buisness IMO and not fair to the builder.

And yes I'm the guy who sold the Skippy.15 year old collector's piece. Not 1 day old.

So the rules allowed for reselling at the time (which have since been changed I see), correct?

I don't recall that there were any "flipping limitations" regarding time frames in the October rules changes.  (If I missed them, I'll thank you in advance for pointing out the specific part(s) that I missed.)

Why is it a "a shady buisness", as you put it? 

I am not familiar with what you sold "the Skippy.15 year old collector's piece" for.  It is none of my business.  If somebody bought it for $1 or $100 or $1,000, then that was a fair transaction for both of you, right?  Or was it not?

You mention "not fair to the builder", (which has been bandied about here for years, to my everlasting surprise).

1.  Exactly why is it not fair to the builder? 

2.  Is the builder somehow artificially constrained from setting his prices at levels that are acceptable to him (by the show management, for example)?

2a.  If not, AND the builder is pissed off that buyers flip his plugs at 2x what he sold them for, then what's keeping the builder from doubling his prices?

2b. Might it be that the builder fears that he won't sell enough of his inventory at 2x his normal show prices to make the show investment worthwhile to him?

3.  Might there be scenario whereby--instead of being "not fair to the builder"--there might actually be a benefit to the builder? 

(I'm betting that many of you see this as nothing less than blasphemy.) 

3a. Is it possible that some builders might like the brand equity that comes from having their limited volume of goods bid up higher in the secondary market that you all so abhor, for it enables a builder to subsequently capture higher prices?

Looking forward to your point by point responses.

G.B.O.G.H. -- DT326

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."--M. Mead

11 mins ago, Southcoastphil said:

So the rules allowed for reselling at the time (which have since been changed I see), correct?

I don't recall that there were any "flipping limitations" regarding time frames in the October rules changes.  (If I missed them, I'll thank you in advance for pointing out the specific part(s) that I missed.)

I am not familiar with what you sold "the Skippy.15 year old collector's piece" for.  It is none of my business.  If somebody bought it for $1 or $100 or $1,000, then that was a fair transaction for both of you, right?  Or was it not?

You mention "not fair to the builder", (which has been bandied about here for years, to my everlasting surprise).

2.  Is the builder somehow artificially constrained from setting his prices at levels that are acceptable to him (by the show management, for example)?

2a.  If not, AND the builder is pissed off that buyers flip his plugs at 2x what he sold them for, then what's keeping the builder from doubling his prices?

2b. Might it be that the builder fears that he won't sell enough of his inventory at 2x his normal show prices to make the show investment worthwhile to him?

3.  Might there be scenario whereby--instead of being "not fair to the builder"--there might actually be a benefit to the builder? 

3a. Is it possible that some builders might like the brand equity that comes from having their limited volume of goods bid up higher in the secondary market that you all so abhor, for it enables a builder to subsequently capture higher prices?

I happen to agree with this!

I think my statement above was extremely clear.So with that, Until I start getting a pay check from S.O.L which will never happen...lol.  I don't feel it's my place or obligation to you or anyone else to respond to your  POINT BY POINT Request.If you have any problems with the Rules And Regulations the S.O.L team has put in place Refer to one of there monitors or the owner.Good luck

18 mins ago, Southcoastphil said:

Might your opting to not respond to my questions that were specific to the points that you made lead folks to believe that even you have no defensible argument for your points?

G.B.O.G.H. -- DT326

No that's not the case, I can argue with you all night to your POINTS. But I feel as if I would be spitting into the WIND..Im gathering that you take fishing tackle buying and selling as a buisness.Myself I buy a hell  of alot more then I've ever sold as a hobby.So to your question I'm not interested in explaining my self to you.As I stated they have people who work here for that.

45 mins ago, mugs said:

No that's not the case, I can argue with you all night to your POINTS. But I feel as if I would be spitting into the WIND..Im gathering that you take fishing tackle buying and selling as a buisness.Myself I buy a hell  of alot more then I've ever sold as a hobby.So to your question I'm not interested in explaining my self to you.As I stated they have people who work here for that.

Some people just don't get it and probably never will.  Not sure how much more we need to dissect this for people to get it.  Not quite sure how somebody who considers themselves an honest person can look at flipping and say it's ok.  Not even really sure how somebody who claims to follow God can be such a dishonest person.  Guess it is what it is.

And btw, we don't work for Tim.  We volunteer.   Only thing we get out of this is helping other people, making new friends and putting smiles on people's faces with the different auctions we run here.