dena

Pretty Smart

30 posts in this topic

If you guys go to hiding a dead body down by the river, be careful, and do not take your cell phone with you, especially Apple Iphones.

Who knew these phones kept track like they do?

Apple has the whole layout to your house down pat, probably could walk around in the dark better than you do.

It would not surprise me to know Android and all the rest do the same thing...what do they need that data for?

Is the lack of privacy just the price we pay to have the powerful device by our side?

iPhone’s Apple Health data used as evidence in murder trial

15 Jan 2018 1 Apple, Law & order

by Lisa Vaas

If you have an iPhone running iOS 6S or later, you’ve got Apple’s Health App, which accurately records steps. You’ve also got the Altimeter app, which keeps track of changes in elevation, to track how many stairs you’ve climbed.

And it is that health data that’s been used in the trial of an Afghani refugee in Germany who has admitted to raping and murdering 19-year-old medical student Maria Ladenburger in October 2016.

The refugee, Hussein Khavari, admitted to raping Ladenburger and to drowning her in the river Dreisam. But as the BBC reported on Friday, although he’s admitted his guilt, he’s disputed some details.

He was identified by a long strand of hair found in bushes close to the crime scene and by DNA recovered from a scarf that was found on the river bed nearby. In spite of those and other pieces of evidence, Khavari refused to provide police with the PIN to unlock his phone.

Keep your personal Macs and PCs clean

So, similar to the case of the FBI trying to get into the iPhone of the San Bernardino terrorists in the US, German investigators turned to an unnamed company from Munich that has a reputation for being able to crack locked phones. The unnamed cyber forensics firm did, in fact, manage to get into Khavari’s phone after months of work, according to German newspaper Welt. The case had begun in September.

Getting into the phone meant getting at details of its owner’s geodata.

Investigators found that the suspect’s Apple Health app recorded his movements. Between 2:30 a.m. and shortly after 4 a.m., he moved only a few steps, it showed. But it also showed that during the same time, he twice “climbed stairs.”

The investigators soon realized that those two moments might be translated into the suspect first dragging his victim down the river bank, and then climbing back up.

To verify their theory, Freiburg police sent an investigator with a similar stature as that of Khavari to the scene of the crime and gave him an iPhone to track his movements. It confirmed their theory: Climbing up and down the embankment was recorded as stair climbing.

Use of mobile health data in an investigation was a first for the police of Baden-Württemberg, but it’s not the first time personal device data has come into play in a criminal case. Last year, we saw Amazon fighting to keep Echo recordings out of court in a murder case. The Amazon Echo had been found at a murder scene where a man had been strangled in a hot tub.

The Echo wasn’t the only smarthome gadget that was a source of potential evidence in that case. Investigators had already gotten water usage data from the suspect’s smart water meter to allege that a spike in consumption during the wee hours of a frigid night were caused by somebody using a garden hose to clean blood off a patio near the hot tub.

Clearly, we can expect to see more court cases where data from our devices comes into play in courtrooms. Our devices hear us, they track us, and they can be figuratively put on the witness stand.

All these smartdevices now have body sensors built in and some you cant selectively turn off.  

So i wonder how that works in conjunction with recording someone.  You cant legally record someone without informing them and their consent or it will be thrown out of court right?  Would this be a loophole for this technology in court too.  Just a matter of time im sure.

1 min ago, bospa357 said:

Amazon Echo listening to your conversations just like we talked about here. 

Not to get too political, but the White House Press secretary was harping about her device because her little kid ordered an $80 toy.

I sure hope she wasn't conducting any business, or talking shop with that thing around.

Went to a friend's house a while back, he starts telling me about his Echo...let's go to garage man...now.

I tell him to get that thing out of his house it is nothing but a spy device.

He got hip after a while, and it got tossed.

4 mins ago, Lagerhead said:

Not only listen, but record.

And sent off to the home office/server where it goes to who knows where?

What possible use could they have for household conversation unless it is to sell you stuff?

Most likely junk you do not need.

Your cell phone is tracked when it is turned off also.  The battery must be removed to disable tracking.

My wife tracks me.  Some new app she had the whole family install.  

3 hours ago, dena said:

Not to get too political, but the White House Press secretary was harping about her device because her little kid ordered an $80 toy.

I sure hope she wasn't conducting any business, or talking shop with that thing around.

Went to a friend's house a while back, he starts telling me about his Echo...let's go to garage man...now.

I tell him to get that thing out of his house it is nothing but a spy device.

He got hip after a while, and it got tossed.

Did you guys toss your phones as well? You do know that your phone can be breached to send audio when you're not using it, same as an echo or similar device.

3 hours ago, dena said:

I heard that story. It's bothersome. Not political either; it's about technology and security.