Making rods without the gear

Rate this topic

topwaterflounder

1 hour ago, unclebunker said:

You can do it yourself. You can't do it without masking tape. Everything else can be improvised. The only Black Hole factory rod I've seen was well done.Don't expect to equal it without a few builds under your belt. Don't let that stop you.Don't overcomplicate. There are many,many ways to do the few things we do. Re-think your guide approach.Very few trips down that rabbit hole actually yield an appreciable difference;there's nothing wrong with the factory layout.And good luck. I'm looking forward to being able to buy one of those blanks for myself.

Yes I can afford/have the required tools for making the rod

Can't wait to get into a shop and test a black hole blank out. Those things are unbreakable !

I’ve been practicing lately in preparatation to build my first rod. I do it the same way as in the video. The advantage the guy in the video has is the thick thread that looks to be very easy to work with. I’m thinking i need to try some thicker thread since the stuff I’ve been practicing with is very thin. As far as a motor for drying epoxy, I’m going to figure something out for that. I’m thinking it can’t be that hard to find a cheap rotary motor that will spin a rod. I was planning on making my own tools and setup. 

Id say alil hand jobby like flex coat or crb is worth the money specailly if you can grab one second hand... being able to tension and angle the thread really helps ... I use the POS CRB jobby and its far from great but gets it done.... 

I use micro wave turntable motor for drying... Worked out just fine ...  Dont over think it .. spend more time practicing nice even gap free wraps and finishing them neatly..

9 hours ago, Big Will said:

I’ve been practicing lately in preparatation to build my first rod. I do it the same way as in the video. The advantage the guy in the video has is the thick thread that looks to be very easy to work with. I’m thinking i need to try some thicker thread since the stuff I’ve been practicing with is very thin. As far as a motor for drying epoxy, I’m going to figure something out for that. I’m thinking it can’t be that hard to find a cheap rotary motor that will spin a rod. I was planning on making my own tools and setup. 

Let me know if you come up with anything for a homemade tool or rotor. I'm in the same position right now.

5 hours ago, topwaterflounder said:

Let me know if you come up with anything for a homemade tool or rotor. I'm in the same position right now.

I came up with a great idea. How about a fan motor? Big enough, super cheap, and should have no problem spinning a rod for drying epoxy with a little modification. 

On 1/19/2018 at 8:10 AM, Big Will said:

Forget the motor?  build the rod and take your time. Your making it for yourself. If you want a motor later then get one , but you don't need a motor.    This is what I use , for the last 50 years?    Just to pieces of angle iron with roller skate wheels mounted on a bracket that slides to where ever I want to place the rollers  it is 10' long and I have six sets of rollers.  When I want to epoxy the rod I just clamp on  BBQ motor to the frame.  nothing fancy. I have a 3/4 by1' track that my thread set up slide on.  That way I can always get the right angle on the thread when wrapping the rod.   You be surprised how fast your hands can turn the rod when wrapping after a while. 

IMG_0285.JPG

IMG_0284.JPG

On 1/20/2018 at 0:03 AM, Big Will said:

I came up with a great idea. How about a fan motor? Big enough, super cheap, and should have no problem spinning a rod for drying epoxy with a little modification. 

Fan motor no good .. they got no torque..  and gonna be way fast .. and if you use a vari speed on it they go slow yes but even less balls 

16 hours ago, Wire For Fire said:

Fan motor no good .. they got no torque..  and gonna be way fast .. and if you use a vari speed on it they go slow yes but even less balls 

Why is torque needed for the drying process? I would think it would defInitely be powerful enough to turn the rod. And there are ways to change the speed with some modification. I thought you would only need torque for a motor for the wrapping process, I was thinking in terms of hand wrapping and just having a way for the blank to spin while the epoxy dries. 

5 hours ago, Big Will said:

Why is torque needed for the drying process? I would think it would defInitely be powerful enough to turn the rod. And there are ways to change the speed with some modification. I thought you would only need torque for a motor for the wrapping process, I was thinking in terms of hand wrapping and just having a way for the blank to spin while the epoxy dries. 

It take more torque then you would think.. and fan motor has less torque then you would think... I tried it and didn't work out.. microwave turntable motor has balls and works great 

1 hour ago, Wire For Fire said:

It take more torque then you would think.. and fan motor has less torque then you would think... I tried it and didn't work out.. microwave turntable motor has balls and works great 

Thank you for the advice! That’s surprising. I thought a microwave turntable would have a really weak motor and that one of those old metal fans would have one that would definitely do the job. Would this be true for a ceiling fan too? 

Edited by Big Will

1 min ago, Big Will said:

Thank you for the advice! That’s surprising. I thought a microwave turntable would have a really weak motor and that one of those old metal fans would have one that would definitely do the job. 

Believe it or not those lil microwave motors have ton of torque to spin heavey bowl or food and what not.. I work in electric motor repair shop so I got free range of lots of motors..   every fan motor I tried was no go.. a gear box is needed to create torque and slow down.. vari speed control on ac motor takes away all the balls at low settings ...

if you do go to pull one out a microwave .. be mindful of the capacitors ... they will send you into next week..  but the motors usually easy to access.. few screws on bottom and clip 2 wires as long as you can and done 

33 mins ago, Wire For Fire said:

Believe it or not those lil microwave motors have ton of torque to spin heavey bowl or food and what not.. I work in electric motor repair shop so I got free range of lots of motors..   every fan motor I tried was no go.. a gear box is needed to create torque and slow down.. vari speed control on ac motor takes away all the balls at low settings ...

if you do go to pull one out a microwave .. be mindful of the capacitors ... they will send you into next week..  but the motors usually easy to access.. few screws on bottom and clip 2 wires as long as you can and done 

So you have to discharge the built up electricity in the capacitors? Even if it’s been sitting? Thanks for the heads up lol. I’m not that good with electronics, but good enough to pull a motor out of a microwave and turn it into what I need. 

20 mins ago, Big Will said:

So you have to discharge the built up electricity in the capacitors? Even if it’s been sitting? Thanks for the heads up lol. I’m not that good with electronics, but good enough to pull a motor out of a microwave and turn it into what I need. 

Don't even mess with discharging them just don't touch them or let anything metal touch across the connectors.. and yes if they don't have a resistor wired into them they can hold charge a long while depending on the cap