What winter foul weather top?

Rate this topic

jjdbike

I question the functionality of breathable fabrics also when you are wearing 4 layers of clothes under them.  For your base layer and maybe the next couple, sure.  But does a breathable jacket make much difference when you have on long underwear, fleece turtleneck, fleece pull over, down vest, a down jacket and a hoodie... I kind of doubt it... it is isn't like you have a latex gasket around your waist, neck and wrists... you are getting ventilated whether you like it or not.

Edited by Slacker

For the amount of fishing one does in a season any of the above mentioned outer jackets will last for many years. This isn't commercial fishing. Grundens for mates I agree with. I have a pair of carhart bibs I paid 40 bucks for ten years ago. My stormr jacket is at least 7 yrs old. The goretex jacket is also about ten yrs old. They all still work fine. Who the hell fishes all day in pouring rain anyway? Who stands in the bow when underway and gets sprayed with salt water so much so that goretex fails? How much clam snot can possibly get all over someone's jacket? The clam goes on the hook.. that's how I do it anyway. Maybe some guys store their clams on their sleeve ..or maybe in a pocket. I put mine in the little pail they give you.

I don't know..I might be wrong but were talking about ONE trip. Ok, maybe two of these pouring rain in hurricane winds, 5 gallon pails of clams smeared all over your clothes, snot from your nose getting blasted on your chest while riding on the anchor tree out to the fishing grounds.

Boots, socks, jackets, gloves, reels, rods, underwear, hats, goggles, clams, crabs, rigs, mono, braid, hooks, leaders, sinkers...anything I missed that might be encountered on this epic fishing trip? 

The Magnificent Presence

Just now, mickrazz said:

For the amount of fishing one does in a season any of the above mentioned outer jackets will last for many years. This isn't commercial fishing. Grundens for mates I agree with. I have a pair of carhart bibs I paid 40 bucks for ten years ago. My stormr jacket is at least 7 yrs old. The goretex jacket is also about ten yrs old. They all still work fine. Who the hell fishes all day in pouring rain anyway? Who stands in the bow when underway and gets sprayed with salt water so much so that goretex fails? How much clam snot can possibly get all over someone's jacket? The clam goes on the hook.. that's how I do it anyway. Maybe some guys store their clams on their sleeve ..or maybe in a pocket. I put mine in the little pail they give you.

I don't know..I might be wrong but were talking about ONE trip. Ok, maybe two of these pouring rain in hurricane winds, 5 gallon pails of clams smeared all over your clothes, snot from your nose getting blasted on your chest while riding on the anchor tree out to the fishing grounds.

Boots, socks, jackets, gloves, reels, rods, underwear, hats, goggles, clams, crabs, rigs, mono, braid, hooks, leaders, sinkers...anything I missed that might be encountered on this epic fishing trip? 

We are going to talk about goggles in another thread.