Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AlwaysWading

Easiest Conventional To Cast

27 posts in this topic

Is there a brand of conv. reel or type of reel that is easier to learn to cast . Baitcaster, low profile  or other that would best to best to start with ? My casting with  conventionals at  this point is either a birds nest or a 20 foot cast.

for surf i have a seigler. really easy for me to cast paired with a ss1449 for bait,  inshore i have te calcutta, and lexa, both work good for me 

Posted (edited)

Get yourself and Abu Garcia 6500C3.

Basic, easy to learn on, and a very capable fish catching tool. At the same time, it is cheaper then most other quality bait casting reels, which means you won't be dropping a bunch of money on a baitcaster until you decide which direction you really want to go.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

Learn with the hardest reel to control and everything else will be a cakewalk

I started with a Penn 200 Surfmaster with the big heavy steel spool, been all easy downhill sleddin since then.

As for the easiest to control reel, the Shimano 400 Conquest is virtually impossible to backlash - but you pay ($$$$) for that.

All the new large low pros can be very tame.....like rediculously tame.   turn on all the brakes and give em to a kid and they'll have less trouble than a spin cast :) (maybe not quite but close)

But have smaller lighter spools.

What are you throwing now?  That's giving you trouble?

44 mins ago, Sudsy said:

Learn with the hardest reel to control and everything else will be a cakewalk

I started with a Penn 200 Surfmaster with the big heavy steel spool, been all easy downhill sleddin since then.

As for the easiest to control reel, the Shimano 400 Conquest is virtually impossible to backlash - but you pay ($$$$) for that.

There is an advantage to learning on a difficult to control reel, I first taught myself how to cast a conventional reel with an older Penn or some kind, it really amps up the learning curve. The rest of the time was spent learning on a Red Abu 6000.

Up to this point I've mostly just been trying to throw small stuff in the back. I've got a couple of Teramars, one's paired with a avet sx ,the other a metaloid. I can't cast either one worth a damn. Want to try master throwing small stuff and then move up surfcasting.

14 mins ago, AlwaysWading said:

Up to this point I've mostly just been trying to throw small stuff in the back. I've got a couple of Teramars, one's paired with a avet sx ,the other a metaloid. I can't cast either one worth a damn. Want to try master throwing small stuff and then move up surfcasting.

Is is actually easier casting the heavier stuff before the smaller stuff.

im still very much learning but i agree on the casting heavier weights and Abu recommendation

a rod that bends and loads easily helped too

watched some videos, and started with slow off the ground casts trying to be as smooth as possible

left the brakes as set from factory and started with the spool tensioner pretty tight

within an hr or so was backing off the tension and leaning into it a little

using mono and heavier than i intended to eventually fish with also made clearing the messes easier

Hands down the 525mag for me. Nothing comes close but I haven’t tried the c3ct. Also nearly impossible to backlash when magged to the max or can be tuned down a bit to get maximum distance. I learned on it and think it’s a good real to learn casting on, but also a reel once you’re comfortable with you’ll never want to use anything else. 

7 hours ago, Beastly Backlash said:

Is is actually easier casting the heavier stuff before the smaller stuff.

This ^^^^^^

7 hours ago, Big Will said:

Hands down the 525mag for me. Nothing comes close but I haven’t tried the c3ct. Also nearly impossible to backlash when magged to the max or can be tuned down a bit to get maximum distance. I learned on it and think it’s a good real to learn casting on, but also a reel once you’re comfortable with you’ll never want to use anything else. 

Yea, the 525mag was easy one for me too. Just don't try to kill it, and overpower it. slowly work on your thumb and form, start small. Also, use mono when starting out, not braid. 

51 mins ago, Jason B said:

Yea, the 525mag was easy one for me too. Just don't try to kill it, and overpower it. slowly work on your thumb and form, start small. Also, use mono when starting out, not braid. 

Is it because mono easier to cast or just for cost of blowing up braid ? 

The cost is certainly a consideration.  However, when I was learning, I found it was a whole lot easier to pick out a backlash on mono compared to braid.