puff tentacle

Yami HDPI or Saltwater Series

16 posts in this topic

So I am still looking to get a four stroke on my next but if I find the hull that I really like with either of these engines, my thought is that I could run them until they crap out then repowered with a four stroke.  So which one is considered more reliable the Yamaha HDPI or the Saltwater Seriesll

thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The saltwater series are very reliable motors, but thirsty and smokey.  The hpdi's at 200 horsepower or less were good motors, but you have to pay attention to the fuel systems and make sure they remain clean.  Knowing how to clean out the vst filters on those motors is important.  The hpdi in the 250 and 300 horsepower versions had some serious issues IIRC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HPDI 200 or less all day long.  If its a 250/300 and still going its probably fine, but they had issues on the larger blocks.  The 200 HPDI is probably one of the better mills Yam ever made.

 

As noted above, they are fuel sensitive.  Give them clean fuel and stay on your filters annually and they will treat you well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, quiknet said:

The saltwater series are very reliable motors, but thirsty and smokey.  The hpdi's at 200 horsepower or less were good motors, but you have to pay attention to the fuel systems and make sure they remain clean.  Knowing how to clean out the vst filters on those motors is important.  The hpdi in the 250 and 300 horsepower versions had some serious issues IIRC.

 

35 mins ago, makorider said:

HPDI 200 or less all day long.  If its a 250/300 and still going its probably fine, but they had issues on the larger blocks.  The 200 HPDI is probably one of the better mills Yam ever made.

 

As noted above, they are fuel sensitive.  Give them clean fuel and stay on your filters annually and they will treat you well.

Thanks guys, much appreciated 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 mins ago, makorider said:

HPDI 200 or less all day long.  If its a 250/300 and still going its probably fine, but they had issues on the larger blocks.  The 200 HPDI is probably one of the better mills Yam ever made.

 

As noted above, they are fuel sensitive.  Give them clean fuel and stay on your filters annually and they will treat you well.

Just curious , how do you insure clean fuel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I have a 300 hpdi with about 400 hours. 

 

Runs very nice and very powerful

 

i try to take very goiod care of it. I use the additives religiously 

Edited by JohnP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, puff tentacle said:

Just curious , how do you insure clean fuel

Today's fuel is crap and doesn't last.  I store the boat dead ass empty and run a 2 micron Racor.

 

I think the additives are a total waste of money.  I shock with seafoam every 50-75 hrs to decarbon and call it a day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, makorider said:

Today's fuel is crap and doesn't last.  I store the boat dead ass empty and run a 2 micron Racor.

 

I think the additives are a total waste of money.  I shock with seafoam every 50-75 hrs to decarbon and call it a day.

Thanks for the insight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought a boat two years ago with a 200 hpdi and 450 hours on it.  I was hesitant at first because I was set on a four stroke. I also was considering a boat with a  Saltwater series on it but was concerned about the gas consumption.  

So far after 225 hours I am very pleased with performance and fuel consumption.  Oil consumption was another story but I figured out the linkage adjustment was off and it is much better now.  I change the filters and plugs at the beginning of each season and trailer my boat.  At the beginning of last season I had the high pressure injector pump rebuilt after I could not reach full rpm on the first trip.  Injectors were tested and were good.  I bought the service manuals and diagnostic software and am poking around more and more.  But I am also too busy to do all my boat work myself, so right now I have a boat mechanic who is reasonable and does good work.  When I had the pump problem he took my boat in right away and I had it back within two weeks.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, whaler1889 said:

I bought a boat two years ago with a 200 hpdi and 450 hours on it.  I was hesitant at first because I was set on a four stroke. I also was considering a boat with a  Saltwater series on it but was concerned about the gas consumption.  

So far after 225 hours I am very pleased with performance and fuel consumption.  Oil consumption was another story but I figured out the linkage adjustment was off and it is much better now.  I change the filters and plugs at the beginning of each season and trailer my boat.  At the beginning of last season I had the high pressure injector pump rebuilt after I could not reach full rpm on the first trip.  Injectors were tested and were good.  I bought the service manuals and diagnostic software and am poking around more and more.  But I am also too busy to do all my boat work myself, so right now I have a boat mechanic who is reasonable and does good work.  When I had the pump problem he took my boat in right away and I had it back within two weeks.  

On the HP pump, did you get assraped by sending it to Flagship, or was your guy adroit enough to crack the pump himself and replace the four $.05 basket filters?

Edited by makorider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 mins ago, makorider said:

On the HP pump, did you get assraped by sending it to Flagship, or was your guy adroit enough to crack the pump himself and replace the four $.05 basket filters?

Sure did.  My guy used Flagship and yes it was expensive with  the overnight ups charges both ways for the pump and the injectors, which I requested.  For some reason he and other independents I spoke with won't tear the pump apart.  The Yamaha dealers definitely not and my guy worked at a Yamaha boat yard before going on his own.  I was a little annoyed that he would not tear it apart at first but the rest of his work is good and he stands behind it.  With what I have learned since then and from the videos I have seen, it does not look too difficult especially after the first time. 

Problem I had at that time was my daughter was getting married the following week and I wanted the boat running asap thereafter. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, whaler1889 said:

Sure did.  My guy used Flagship and yes it was expensive with  the overnight ups charges both ways for the pump and the injectors, which I requested.  For some reason he and other independents I spoke with won't tear the pump apart.  The Yamaha dealers definitely not and my guy worked at a Yamaha boat yard before going on his own.  I was a little annoyed that he would not tear it apart at first but the rest of his work is good and he stands behind it.  With what I have learned since then and from the videos I have seen, it does not look too difficult especially after the first time. 

Problem I had at that time was my daughter was getting married the following week and I wanted the boat running asap thereafter. 

 

Thats a shame, but I get where you were at.  Literally $.20 and maybe an hour, hour and a half of wrenching even for a backyard mechanic.  Yam doesn't list the part numbers there, they don't want anyone touching it,.  They either own or get a nice piece from Flagship.  My biggest gripe with yam is their parts pricing.  Absolutely insane.  Including their ring free, I'll never spend a nickel on it as seafoam does a superior job anyways.  Eff you Yam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a set of HPDI’s on a Grady and they ran awesome. Just need to keep the service up to date and remember to replace the high pressure fuel filter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also run a 250 HPDI - it came with more warnings and ominous statements than anything I've ever owned.  Truth be told, it's run like a clock so far.  The problem with these high compression engines (in particular, the high pressure injection systems) - the smallest bit of blockage can cause a very bad problem.

 

First step was ensuring that all TSBs on the engine had been carried out.  There was one on mine in particular covering the oil metering system that was causing a lot of the early big block engines to blow up.  First step was fixing the TSB.

 

The prior owner had always run Yammy's RingFree product and fuel stabilizer in every tank of gas.  I continued this practice - cheap insurance, and with ethanol gas my only option I'd never skip it.

 

The engine has a series of filters, starting with a 10 micron water separator going to an onboard fuel filter, a filter in the vapor separating tank (referred to as the VST) and finally 2 micron filters inline with the injectors (known as the mystery filters).  Replace all on a yearly basis (save for the mystery filters, which if you keep up maintenance on the rest should hold up well for a long time).  The mystery filters you can do if you ever see any signs of bogging down.

 

I love my engine - it's got great torque, busts right off the line and is very fuel efficient.  I'll go for a 4 stroke with the next boat because that's the way the tech has gone, but at a good price a well cared for HPDI is an excellent value deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I ran twin 250 HPDI's for 7 seasons.... got them with 200 hrs on them and put over 1000 almost problem free hours on them by taking care of the filters, running ring-free with every fillup, and using Yamalube for oil.  Yes, I know I could have saved money by using other oil, a different addative.... but did I mention 1000 almost trouble free hours?

 

Replaced the vsts a couple times, changed plugs every year, kept an eye on the bowl of the Racors, had one problem with throttle cable on one so replaced them both.... had a minor oil leak from the top of the sender that was corrected with 2 zipties.  That was about it.....

 

With a good report from a great mechanic, I'd buy them again....

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.