bonefishdick

Random Thoughts , the Fishing License

10 posts in this topic

I think there are times when getting old has it advantages, usually getting old is associated with the proverbial "Senior Discount".  I think if I could forgo the discount and pay the cash and not be old, for me it would so much be a no brainer done deal.

Yesterday I printed my Salt and Freshwater License and the cost was $1.38 ea. very little comfort.

I remember when the salt water license which as actually called a Permit came into existence was more about how much turmoil it created.

I often wonder how many people actually forget to now buy and print one each year and actually just go fishing without one simply because they forgot. I think since it's inception I was asked only once and that was early on when they were first required.

I remember growing up it was like a right of passage to buy your freshwater license before "opening day", the approaching opening day was like a trigger to get you license, there was a certain excitement associated with the day as it got closer, that too is now a thing of the past since we have a 365 day season and why I think it is easy to forget to get one.

I need to do my lisences for this year. I have no issue with the NY registry, it’s free and a good source of info for conservation knowing roughly how many people are fishing. To me it’s a no brainer, especially being free. Obviously not everyone is registered, hence “roughly how many”.

the hunting lisence is a pain in the ass when you first get it. NY needs to update its hunter safety courses to be available at all times online. Not enough courses are offered, especially if you need to do it during season like I had to do when I first got it. Essentially the closest ones for weeks were over four hours away and filled up.

That's one nice thing about PA.  I've got the "life time" license on a nice plastic card, so I don't have to remember to buy one each year.  Just  leave it in my license holder on my vest.  I usually get a Vermont non-resident license since I make three or four trips a year to my sister's summer place during warm weather.  Might get a Jersey fresh water license this year since my friend lives in Princeton and there are some waters around there that look good and she likes to kayak.  Still have to print out my Jersey salt water "permit".  I just checked the PA regs and the only closed season I could find is for stocked trout streams and for walleye and sauger.  The class "A" streams are catch and release during the stocked stream closed season.  Even bass season is technically open year round.  That was something my buddies and I used to wait anxiously for to open each year when  we were younger.  Now it's catch and release during what use to be a closed season..The senior discounts are nice.  Not very large but I'll take them.  I intend to enjoy both while I can.

Each year I would do the Mass License, the Florida License and a PA license. With my son moving back to Mass I will not be doing any more. I will say that my PA license was always a good deal since it was always a Birthday present from my grandson. 

The one thing I have not explored in Florida is a freshwater license. It seems to be a bit of a gray area as to when one is required in some of the waters and canals.

The thing is in Florida is even though you are a home owner and pay taxes in Florida if it is not your place of residence you have to buy a non resident license, you don't get any discount.

I think Florida has to be the leader in license/stamps and season/size/ bag limits confusion. Need a license to fish salt from a boat not from shore. Also a pile of stamp, to include a snook stamp but on east coast it's a 28-32" slot, west is 28-33" and the seasons are different by just enough to confuse people. Seatrout have different bag limits in three different reagons etc. etc.

If you live in the central area and fish both coasts you need to carry a copy of the regs. which even sometimes the FWC officers also get confused with it all.

Being disabled I don't have buy a license but still have to renew it anyway of which I forgot to do this past summer by about two weeks.

By the time we get it all figured out...they change it again.

2 hours ago, Saltybum said:

I think Florida has to be the leader in license/stamps and season/size/ bag limits confusion. Need a license to fish salt from a boat not from shore. Also a pile of stamp, to include a snook stamp but on east coast it's a 28-32" slot, west is 28-33" and the seasons are different by just enough to confuse people. Seatrout have different bag limits in three different reagons etc. etc.

If you live in the central area and fish both coasts you need to carry a copy of the regs. which even sometimes the FWC officers also get confused with it all.

Being disabled I don't have buy a license but still have to renew it anyway of which I forgot to do this past summer by about two weeks.

By the time we get it all figured out...they change it again.

I agree with the confusion on the regs but for me it is simple to obey them no matter what since I don't keep anything I catch.  You mentioned that you need a license to fish from a boat but not from shore, I don't know if you are referring to a resident but as a non resident you also need one to fish from the beach. This I know because I have been asked to produce one more than once.

PA isn't to bad with the stamps.  I think the only ones they have are the trout stamp, which you technically need to fish any stream the state stocks with trout.  And I got that with my life time license. How strictly they enforce it I don't know.  I know my one fishing buddy never gets one.  I guess I'll find out if he ever gets checked when we're fishing one of the stocked streams for bass.  There's also a stamp for the Lake Erie tributaries which aren't on my list of places to fish.  They do have reciprocal agreements with New Jersey and New York for the Delaware River where it borders those states, so I can fish from the shore in Jersey and New York on those borders but the regulations and limits for those states have to followed.  No special regs for tidal waters that I know of.  They do have special regs for certain species in various lake and rivers.

Posted (edited)

I'm glad that you mentioned reciprocal agreements.  

I just checked the Mass.Gov website and there are letters on the website that indicate reciprocal agreements are in existence between Ma and NH, RI & CT for Salt water fishing.

Edited by bonefishdick

3 hours ago, bonefishdick said:

I agree with the confusion on the regs but for me it is simple to obey them no matter what since I don't keep anything I catch.  You mentioned that you need a license to fish from a boat but not from shore, I don't know if you are referring to a resident but as a non resident you also need one to fish from the beach. This I know because I have been asked to produce one more than once.

BFD.  Question for you.  When you purchase your saltwater fishing license for Florida do you also get a Snook permit or are you exempt from the Snook permit because you catch and release Snook and other fish.  Thanks in advance.

Posted (edited)

25 mins ago, reel em in said:

BFD.  Question for you.  When you purchase your saltwater fishing license for Florida do you also get a Snook permit or are you exempt from the Snook permit because you catch and release Snook and other fish.  Thanks in advance.

I don't buy the Snook stamp, for what I pay in property taxes and I still can't buy a resident license even though I am a home owner it is really more a matter of principle. If I kept them I would however. I think the only fish I think about keeping are the Pompano, we get some really big ones on the fly.

Edited by bonefishdick