Shag

What can I expect from TSA and United regarding carry on tackle?

41 posts in this topic

I brought 4 large reels with braid in my carry on back and forth through Cabo Mexico with no problems. My tackle was in my checked bag though for this trip. I have flown with cheap pliers in my carry on domestically within the last two months with no problems. I have also flown small freshwater hooks no problem. Saltwater hooks would probably depend on the TSA agent that day.

Another good question is what if the hooks and other terminal tackle were in sealed never opened packages. Would that make a difference? 

If you wonder:

If you carry a knife on your person in Mexico, even a pocketknife . . .

You may be arrested and charged with possession of a deadly weapon;
You may spend weeks in jail waiting for trial, and tens of thousands of dollars in attorney’s fees, court costs, and fines;
If convicted, you may be sentenced to up to five years in a Mexican prison.

Claiming not to know about the law will not get you leniency from a police officer or the judicial system. Leave your firearms, ammunition, and knives at home. Don’t bring them into Mexico.
Consulate General of the United States

6 mins ago, Big Will said:

Another good question is what if the hooks and other terminal tackle were in sealed never opened packages. Would that make a difference? 

I don't think carrying a knife in an unopened package would help, so i doubt it would help for the hooks lol

1 hour ago, ksong said:

You don't have any problem to bring reels with braid to Mexico and out of Mexico.

Small hooks and lures are OK. But big hooks and big pliers are not.  

Are you suggesting that you left Mexico with spooled reels in you carry on bags?

7 mins ago, Dlegg96 said:

I don't think carrying a knife in an unopened package would help, so i doubt it would help for the hooks lol

Yeah I definitely wouldn’t bring a knife. In my opinion there is almost nothing you can’t do fishing wise with a cheap knife and they are available everywhere. Hooks I would think are different though as they aren’t a weapon. 

4 mins ago, levari said:

Are you suggesting that you left Mexico with spooled reels in you carry on bags?

I haven't had any problem while leaving Mexico.  Costa Rica is notorious not allowing braid line on reels.  It depends on personnel in Panama. I had to get rid of expensive braid line in Panama while most trips from Panama were OK.

Rods, reels, and line are fine as carry on items.

Anything sharp, potentially sharp, or anything that has anything that is sharp on it is not fine.

34 mins ago, Big Will said:

No difference.

My son is in the planning stage of a tuna spearfishing trip to Panama, this will be an eye opener for him. He has to bring spear gun(s) wetsuit, belt, knifes reels line and everything else associated with free diving. Ship it? Put all in baggage? How safe is transport? Holy cow this could be a disaster. He takes his gear to and from to Florida, no problem. 

anything that can be construed as a weapon can not go in the carry on, that MAY include plugs with hooks depending on the TSA worker.

Bring cash to Mexico almost anybody can be Bought. Don’t show your cash either cops are attracted to it like bees to honey 

I fly United all of the time with my travel rod and gear. The rod is in a few pieces and fits in a small tube that goes into my suitcase. Pliers need to be less than 7 inches. Never had a problem with hooks or lures. I take a backpack which keeps my tackle, reels, leader material... everything.

I can bring as many bags as I can carry on United but I am also 1K with them so I am sure that is why they dont stop me.