Shag

What can I expect from TSA and United regarding carry on tackle?

41 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Going to Mexico in a few weeks. The plan is to live only out of carry on bags; so we make connections, fit everyone in the vehicle and just streamline things. I have a 10' St Croix travel rod in a tube that will be my personal item. What about reel with braid and tackle with hooks, cutting pliers, etc. I read a while ago that this was a problem. Is it still that way. I don't want to leave anything behind, and lose the gear. All the guys have agreed only carry ons. Any info mucho appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by Shag

I had to leave a smaller pair of pliers with a TSA trashcan myself, and I was only going to Florida last year.  Don't even think about a Leatherman or comparable tool.  Print the regulations and have them - both airline and TSA - and argue the case politely if needed.  In years past, people have had trouble with flylines, they show up on Xrays exactly like detonating cord.  

I have had no problems, but fly JetBlue. TSA has let me through with big Tandy jigs, reels with braid, etc.

Posted (edited)

I had no problems domestically with either fly lines, flies or light tackle plugs etc.  I didn't risk the pliers.  Either try to get a cheap pair thru or buy locally.  No reason to risk high cost ones and if cheap you can just leave them behind.  My bag was checked for other reasons and I asked the inspector about hooks and lures and he said they were fine.

Edited by scoser
typo

2 hours ago, Shag said:

Going to Mexico in a few weeks. The plan is to live only out of carry on bags; so we make connections, fit everyone in the vehicle and just streamline things. I have a 10' St Croix travel rod in a tube that will be my personal item. What about reel with braid and tackle with hooks, cutting pliers, etc. I read a while ago that this was a problem. Is it still that way. I don't want to leave anything behind, and lose the gear. All the guys have agreed only carry ons. Any info mucho appreciated. Thanks!

The Mexican will not allow pliers, fishing hooks and last time they even gave me had time with the lures without the hooks. Finally, fishing line  will not be allowed either. There is no way you can make it with carry on unless you leave it all in US.

What about fishing line on the reels? I’ve thought about this too for next year. I can’t believe no fishing hooks, leader material, lures. That’s just crazy. If it’s sitting in the luggage compartment of a plane who is it going to hurt? And is this only a problem for when going to another country or domestically as well? Some of the tsa rules are ridiculous. I’ve thought about going on a long range trip in the next couple years but just the equiptment is expensive enough and then having to buy all new terminal tackle when you get there could be very expensive 

Another option for you is to fedex a box with your gear right to where you are staying and ship it back. 

A lot of this comes down to your comfort with risk and having to leave things behind. I just flew from Baltimore to Orlando and then Orlando to Newark. On the way down shoes had to come off, liquids and laptops had to come out, etc. My bag got pulled out because my shoes were stacked and supposedly too thick for the xray to see through. My liquids bag was pulled out because it had baby food pouches for my child (even though everything was within the TSA guidelines). On the way back I didn't have to take off my shoes, didn't have to take out the liquids or laptop, and went right through without any issues. It seems like TSA is inconsistent at best as to what they take issue with. It is a crap shoot as to what someone will say is ok or not ok and therefore anything you bring is subject to their whims. If you are trying to make connections the last thing I would want to do is try and argue and show a piece of paper that says what their regulations are!

Perhaps if you are going with a group.. split up your gear into 2 -3 packages.  Then send via international career ( FEDEX//UPS/DHL).  Split it up in case one gets lost so someones gear is not totally lost.  The other alternative is to risk some loss.  I did that by sending stuff I treasured by post but took some low dollar easy to replace stuff in carry on.  Also, no issue at all with travel rod.

10 mins ago, drumfish213 said:

A lot of this comes down to your comfort with risk and having to leave things behind. I just flew from Baltimore to Orlando and then Orlando to Newark. On the way down shoes had to come off, liquids and laptops had to come out, etc. My bag got pulled out because my shoes were stacked and supposedly too thick for the xray to see through. My liquids bag was pulled out because it had baby food pouches for my child (even though everything was within the TSA guidelines). On the way back I didn't have to take off my shoes, didn't have to take out the liquids or laptop, and went right through without any issues. It seems like TSA is inconsistent at best as to what they take issue with. It is a crap shoot as to what someone will say is ok or not ok and therefore anything you bring is subject to their whims. If you are trying to make connections the last thing I would want to do is try and argue and show a piece of paper that says what their regulations are!

This is what ive found also. It can vary from which agent checks you. If you are

planning on pleading your case about rules,get there way early. I have had braid

confiscated. Argued about a pair of pliers. I havent had actual hooks questioned tho.

Times i have slipped right thru,other times not. Keep anything u think might b questionable

at the top of your pac for easy access. As mentioned, mailing gear ahead of time is a pita,

but the way to go. That or accept checking a bag w gear.

You don't have any problem to bring reels with braid to Mexico and out of Mexico.

Small hooks and lures are OK. But big hooks and big pliers are not.  

Not sure if direct links are allowed here but this a list of banned items from carry on. When travelling from Mexico. 

aicm.com.mx 

I am an airline employee and thought it might help.

I brought a big knife on a domestic trip in August, was in my suitcase from a local trip.... They didnt catch it. When I unpacked my bag I was like holy S____!

Just don’t let them catch you in Mexico with any kind of knife even packet folder, mostly jail time they look at it like a weapon.

There was government issued warnings about that.

I am not talking coming back, talking on the streets.