Kerf Cutting for Metal Lip Swimmers

Rate this topic

Malatesta0812

Hi All,

Well I just finished turning, off center drilling and cutting the kerf for my first metal lip plug. I think that it looks good, however, when I cut the kerf for the metal lip on my bandsaw, it seemed a little to wide. What method do you employ to cut the kerf? bandsaw? Japanese razor saw? Is it possible  to get a little tighter kerf, or do I have to just live with the wider kerf and fill it in with epoxy putty? Thanks in advance for the help.....

I have had luck with using a metal cutting blade that I purposefully dulled. I ran a hard tool bit against it thus dulling it. The kerf was reduced but will still cut wood and gives me a nice snug fit. I hate loose sloppy lips. I use this blade only for lip slots. 

what's the secret word for tonight

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 4:53 AM, Steel Pulse said:

I have had luck with using a metal cutting blade that I purposefully dulled. I ran a hard tool bit against it thus dulling it. The kerf was reduced but will still cut wood and gives me a nice snug fit. I hate loose sloppy lips. I use this blade only for lip slots. 

Do like Steel Pulse suggested...... make some test cuts as you reduce the amount of kerf....... being sure you don't remove to much kerf.. be careful on how you remove the kerf......I doubt if any method is OSHA approved :)   Mike

Ha. Yes I have been working with tools a long time so I can get a little nonchalant in how I tell people how to do stuff sometimes. Put the saw in neutral and rotate the blade by hand slowly. I would use a sharpening stone up against the side of the blade lightly at first on both sides creeping up on the size you want like Mike stated and test it each time.  Thanks Mike. Hope all is well out there. 

Edited by Steel Pulse

what's the secret word for tonight

• 2 weeks later...

I use a block of wood with wood dowels in the diameter of the hook hole and weight holes to secure the blank level and to keep it from rolling. Then I butt a block cut at the proper height for the lip cut against the lure and I use a FeinTool resting on the block as a guide, for the final cut. You can set the cut depth with a piece of tape on the blade, have minimal tear out and the kerf of the blade is a snug fit on the lip. Makes for easy repeat performance.