Big Will

Targeting big tiles

72 posts in this topic

Let me toss a related question into the mix.  Any reason not to use a two-speed lever drag for tilefish?

Back when Okuma was dropping the Cavalla reel series in favor of the Makairas, Chark had a sale & I bought one. (I wish I had spent more lifetime money on boat rides and less on tackle, but .... water under the bridge.)  It's a Cavalla II 20, almost as large as my 30SW.  For some reason I had Chark fill it with a solid braid, 3.8 to 1 and 1.8 to 1.  I disinterred it from the cellar and it struck me that with a solid braid filling, it's got enough capacity for anything, and a nice big ergonomic handle.  No doubt a newer design would be lighter, but why the heck not use it?  A lot easier cranking three pounds of lead up and down in low gear, to get clear of the bottom, and bringing the rest up in high gear.  

Must re-read this thread, we may already have talked about this. 

Never mind.  I see we did touch on the use of 2-speed reels. 

Now, off to check the legality of ocean pout.  This would probably be a Federal regulation, one way or the other. If it's good to eat, I will eat it.  Does anyone target the things?

16 hours ago, BrianBM said:

Let me toss a related question into the mix.  Any reason not to use a two-speed lever drag for tilefish?

Back when Okuma was dropping the Cavalla reel series in favor of the Makairas, Chark had a sale & I bought one. (I wish I had spent more lifetime money on boat rides and less on tackle, but .... water under the bridge.)  It's a Cavalla II 20, almost as large as my 30SW.  For some reason I had Chark fill it with a solid braid, 3.8 to 1 and 1.8 to 1.  I disinterred it from the cellar and it struck me that with a solid braid filling, it's got enough capacity for anything, and a nice big ergonomic handle.  No doubt a newer design would be lighter, but why the heck not use it?  A lot easier cranking three pounds of lead up and down in low gear, to get clear of the bottom, and bringing the rest up in high gear.  

Must re-read this thread, we may already have talked about this. 

I really like the avet hx 2 speed I have. It’s the perfect size and lighter than most reels with similar capacity. It also has enough drag and cranking power to land bigger fish like tuna. I wish I would have paid the extra for the raptor but o well. 

Edited by Big Will

6 hours ago, BrianBM said:

Now, off to check the legality of ocean pout.  This would probably be a Federal regulation, one way or the other. If it's good to eat, I will eat it.  Does anyone target the things?

We use to eat them sometimes. Never really liked the taste though and back then there was plenty of fish to catch that it wasn’t necessary. Even in just the past 10 years the fishery has changed a lot. From about 2003-2008 when we did a lot of party boat fishing you’d always come home with a cooler of fish and there was always the possibility of pollack and cod, even a cod in the 30-40 pound range wasn’t out of the question 

Edited by Big Will

This is the tile fish and tuna jigging rod I picked up last month. It would make a great cod rod too. Really looking forward to trying it out. It’s a beast of a rod. 

AC5472FF-7FF0-4649-A286-924D034826A5.jpeg

6834026E-D9C6-4995-855D-A16F8F9576D3.jpeg

Edited by Big Will

16 hours ago, BrianBM said:

Pout Kebabs. Nice & firm for the grill

6761472f_PoutKabobs.jpeg

Apropos of reels, the Avet HX was recommended to me, so that should be fine.  With a brand-new, NIB, never-used Cavalla II 20 at hand, I ain't buying any reels anytime soon. 

If I could give my younger self some advice about fishing, it would be to spend less on hardware and more on boat rides. Ah well.

1 hour ago, BrianBM said:

Apropos of reels, the Avet HX was recommended to me, so that should be fine.  With a brand-new, NIB, never-used Cavalla II 20 at hand, I ain't buying any reels anytime soon. 

If I could give my younger self some advice about fishing, it would be to spend less on hardware and more on boat rides. Ah well.

I agree with that. That’s why I don’t buy junk. I ended up selling almost everything I had when my dad passed away. I lost interest In fishing for a few years and needed the money. I had a very large collection of high quality gear. I think having the right equiptment makes the sport more enjoyable. So now I buy what I need but I already know what’s a waste of money and what’s not. I don’t need a lot of stuff I just like quality. I’ve gone a little overboard lately but it’s only because it’s winter and I have no other hobbies and no gf or wife, no responsibilities besides my job so fishing is all I really have. The only thing stopping me from booking more trips is my stupid job lol. I’d be out there this weekend if I didn’t have to work. The voyager and Jamaica and every other stupid boat down here only does special trips on the weekends and I work weekends. My weekend is Tuesday and Wednesday. Nothing but mud hole wreck trips and right now it’s dead out there