Big Will

Targeting big tiles

75 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I've caught quite a few Tiles on Squid & Butterfish combos. No monsters except for a Gray/blueline that was the NJ record for a few years. Mine were always caught in the morning when there was no Tuna around. I've never gone on a trip specifically for Tile.

Edited by Joe
Gray not Gay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Joe said:

I've caught quite a few Tiles on Squid & Butterfish combos. No monsters except for a Gay/blueline that was the NJ record for a few years. Mine were always caught in the morning when there was no Tuna around. I've never gone on a trip specifically for Tile.

Wow that’s cool I actually have never seen a blue line caught yet. Another thing I’d like to see is snowy grouper. I’ve only done tuna and tile trips as well. The whole idea of the first trip I’m going on is to explore new areas that are way out there, last year they had a few tiles over 50 on this trip and many more that were very big. But that’s one reason I won’t fish electric, you never know what’s going to be out there. I wish boats would start doing real long range trips out of the east coast I think that would be interesting, i am looking forward to doing the 4 day sword and bigeye trip on the same boat this year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Oakey said:

Have you guys tried using a tuna rail rod for tile fish?  I have a few in the rack since moving to so-cal.  Makes cranking big fish in from a stationary boat a little less painful and the same logic would probably work for a tile fish pole.  I have a seeker 2x4 and a United Composite invictus.  The fore grips on these rods are often made of rubber tubing which completely takes rod rash out of the equation. It's been awhile since I fished tiles, but I do not remember fishing more then 800.  Sounds like a nightmare.  Tangles must be brutal!

I just bought a rod today I will post pictures tomorrow made just for this kind of fishing. It’s 8’ rated 40-100 and up to 4lb lure weight but is still very light. It’s the jigging world deep monster and for the price it is a very nice rod. And I have never had a tangle fishing deep water. They limit the boat to 28 and there’s plenty of rail room to avoid that. Everything comes straight up, these fish don’t really make any long runs. I have fished up to 1600-1800 feet on the deepest drop, the thing that sucks is reeling in all that line. I have used a tuna rail rod though and it worked great. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

On 1/24/2018 at 7:39 PM, BrianBM said:

Big Will, is the boat in question the Voyager?

No it’s the Viking. It’s the 2 day exploratory trip. It turns out being closer to 3 days though. As far as big tiles go this is one of the trips that are known to produce multiple 50 pounders. I do plan to do some on the voyager as well since it’s much closer. I just didn’t find out about their tile trips until after booking, they actually have ones this time of year and I might be able to jump on one sometime soon. They seem to only post schedules for the upcoming months where the Viking already has their whole list of trips for the year so I’m unaware of any longer trips on the voyager. 

 

Edited by Big Will

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I’ve mentioned I would really like to see one of these boats do some true west coast style long range trips. I think there are many possibilities as far as tuna, swordfish, and tile go. Even on the longer trips there is not enough time to find tuna for everyone and to move to different places if necessary. There is also no time to dedicate to finding live bait and filling live wells. I would like to see something in the 7 day range with a 15-20 person limit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

It's an interesting thought.  West Coast boats that do this provide far more civilized accommodations for their passengers then any local boat I've seen, save the Viking 5-Star, and at 60' that boat isn't really big enough for that kind of excursion. 

 

Herewith my $0.02 on the right boat. Fuel won't always be this cheap. Make it a 100' - 120' catamaran with X-bows, I think, and provide electrical power sockets on a separate genset circuit for powered reels ($25 fee to unlock a socket for you, sir) and possibly big live bait tubes, removable, so the boat can carry live 3-lb. to 5-lb. bluefish for shark and marlin trips. Keep a mate busy on the way out removing the dead baits and rigging them for the trolling rotation; mount a greenstick, like the 5-star carries, as well as outriggers. Arneson drives might complicate trolling but need to be reviewed in detail because they're very fuel-thrifty; shrouded props that can be rotated might be better. And there's no reason why the handrail shouldn't be heated, too.

 

I hereby copyright this design concept and anybody who builds this boat has to pay me a design fee.  :)

 

 

Edited by BrianBM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, BrianBM said:

It's an interesting thought.  West Coast boats that do this provide far more civilized accommodations for their passengers then any local boat I've seen, save the Viking 5-Star, and at 60' that boat isn't really big enough for that kind of excursion. 

 

Herewith my $0.02 on the right boat. Fuel won't always be this cheap. Make it a 100' - 120' catamaran with X-bows, I think, and provide electrical power sockets on a separate genset circuit for powered reels ($25 fee to unlock a socket for you, sir) and possibly big live bait tubes, removable, so the boat can carry live 3-lb. to 5-lb. bluefish for shark and marlin trips. Keep a mate busy on the way out removing the dead baits and rigging them for the trolling rotation; mount a greenstick, like the 5-star carries, as well as outriggers. Arneson drives might complicate trolling but need to be reviewed in detail because they're very fuel-thrifty; shrouded props that can be rotated might be better. And there's no reason why the handrail shouldn't be heated, too.

 

I hereby copyright this design concept and anybody who builds this boat has to pay me a design fee.  :)

 

 

I was just thinking a boat like the Viking or voyager would work. Nothing fancy, just have to rough it out if you don’t like the accomadations. It would be all about fishing. Just put some better mattresses on the bunk beds and you’re good to go. I was thinking tuna and swordfish. The advantage would be you would have time to find the fish. From the research I’ve done it seems like these long liners are traveling further than any party boat goes especially to find large populations of swordfish and tuna. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I have seen no partyboat trips for marlin or shark.  I think they're possible, especially on a multi-day trip.  West Coast sportfishermen do troll for makos, so why not? And while the population density of marlin is low, and you'd want heavier tackle and bigger lures for marlin then for tuna, it might be something that would be of interest on a multi-day trip.  

 

AFAIK nobody, save possibly the Viking Starship, goes as far as Hydrographer's Canyon.  A monohull probably doesn't offer the right combination of speed and fuel economy to make this feasible.  The old Hel-Cat, the "Big Red Buoy," was a catamaran hull; I wonder what her fuel burn rates were.  (The current Hel-Cat is a monohull).

Edited by BrianBM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

7 hours ago, BrianBM said:

I have seen no partyboat trips for marlin or shark.  I think they're possible, especially on a multi-day trip.  West Coast sportfishermen do troll for makos, so why not? And while the population density of marlin is low, and you'd want heavier tackle and bigger lures for marlin then for tuna, it might be something that would be of interest on a multi-day trip.  

 

AFAIK nobody, save possibly the Viking Starship, goes as far as Hydrographer's Canyon.  A monohull probably doesn't offer the right combination of speed and fuel economy to make this feasible.  The old Hel-Cat, the "Big Red Buoy," was a catamaran hull; I wonder what her fuel burn rates were.  (The current Hel-Cat is a monohull).

The miss barnegat light is a dual hull and a very nice boat. Maybe someone could buy it and actually put it to better use, it’s a beautiful boat. As far as going further east I think after hydrographers you hit oceanographers and the seamounts. Oceanographers canyon would be impossible to fish as it hits a depth of 8,200 feet :laugh: so that would make any bottom fishing impossible, but there are tuna, sword, and who know what else out there.  I’m pretty sure the Viking trip I’m going on is going to hydrographers. It’s the one where they go out very far and explore new areas in search of giant tile and whatever else is down there. But hey if they don’t have the gas I’m sure the starship has plenty of room to store enough reserve gas if they wanted to do it the ghetto way, I’ve heard of it being done before on smaller boats. Now what would be interesting is going further north on a 10-14 day Grand Banks trip. As far as marlin I haven’t heard of any large marlin being caught off our coast in recent years, just white marlin. I think an all out swordfish hunt would be awesome though. I was on a Jamaica trip where one estimated at 600 pounds came up to the surface right on the back of the boat under the lights, they’re are some giant ones out there, but you need the right tackle. 

Edited by Big Will

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are many possibilities but I doubt any boat will ever do it. There’s enough money in what they’re doing now. But there is a market for it, you should see how fast the special Viking trips fill up. I’m about to book the 4 day bigeye and sword trip in a couple months if it’s not already filled up by then. I want to do one of the San Diego long range trips but it’s way out of my price range right now. It’s not just the trip, it’s the travel and having to find a way to get all the equiptment over there and by that time you’re looking at 10,000$ easy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ms. Barnegat Light, hey?  I'll have to make a trip on her sometime, just to see how that would work. Boat motion of a cat in the ocean would be very different from a monohull.  The Aussies build all kinds of things as catamarans that we build as monohulls, including some hulls that go to 1,000+ tons.  The Navy has been trying one out, though it's hard to tell if the Navy is giving it more then token attention. 

 

Catamarans tend to be wet boats, due to "sneezing."  I might have to use sliding gates to keep people off the bows until we're drifting.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

38 mins ago, BrianBM said:

Ms. Barnegat Light, hey?  I'll have to make a trip on her sometime, just to see how that would work. Boat motion of a cat in the ocean would be very different from a monohull.  The Aussies build all kinds of things as catamarans that we build as monohulls, including some hulls that go to 1,000+ tons.  The Navy has been trying one out, though it's hard to tell if the Navy is giving it more then token attention. 

 

Catamarans tend to be wet boats, due to "sneezing."  I might have to use sliding gates to keep people off the bows until we're drifting.  

 

 

Yeah I think i remember it being a pretty fast boat too. I know one thing though, as far as steel vs aluminum in rough seas the steel boats have a big advantage. I guess their disadvantage would be the weight and how much gas they use. I was on the starship in some real nasty stuff on a tuna and tile trip, I’m guessing seas atleast 20 feet and it handled it very well. First time I ever got really seasick, I wouldn’t have wanted to be on an aluminum boat. Unless that’s just a myth that Ive been told, never really got a chance to do a real comparison. 

4C2A1AD0-AE78-4ED1-87AF-D534A877F4CA.jpeg

Edited by Big Will

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had never heard that - which means nothing.  I'm inclined to be skeptical, so perhaps the boat professionals here can fill me in.  ....   That's a pretty boat, I will look her up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.