Big Will

Targeting big tiles

75 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Big Will said:

Thanks just checked out the site. I see the rigs are pretty much the same as what I’ve used in the past. I usually make my own rigs but I’ll just pick up a couple to take a look at them. they’re a little pricey but I can copy the rigs myself for much cheaper once I get a look at how they’re making them. I was thinking about some sort of tough strip and threading the squid over it and tying it on the top with rigging floss because losing your bait to pesky critters in deep water isn’t fun I’ve had it happen. Problem is keeping away all those pollack, I was surprised to see them that deep last time. What interests me besides the big tiles is trying to catch one of those barrelfish. This is the first one of the exploratory trips I’m going on where it’s just tile and bottom fishing. I used to go on the tuna and tile trips. We are supposed to be going very far out on this trip and fishing some really deep drops it should be interesting. As usual no electrics for me because that’s not fishing :) I think my arms are going to hurt for a few weeks after I get back. 

Hey Will,

I know they use all of the best tackle & heavy line. I did the same thing, bought a few and copied them. I found it challenging  to tie good neat knots in that heavy line. I stopped just short of buying a table crimper.

Where we fished on the 1 & 1 1/2 day tiles trips on the Voyager there were no bait stealers. The only thing other than tiles we caught were rose fish (small but delicious) & a couple swallowtail bass (beauticul & delicious) and broad alfonsino. Apparently white hake are sometimes landed. Also, some jigged for fresh squid & some mahi showed up and were caught. Maria the cook also jigged a wahoo. She’s a great cook but a better fisher. I’ve seen several occasions where she slid in between a couple guys not catching anything and caught one after another. She’s deadly w/a jig too.

I believe pollack are further north like where the Viking fishes. Personally I like pollack & enjoy catching them (so scrappy), though I don’t think I target tham in 600 - 900’ of water w/ 4lbs of lead. How big are these pollack? Nice 10 - 25 lbers or those little barley legals?

Watch for the Voyager’s new offshore special trip calander to be released. They always include on or two hunt for new world record tilefish trips where they expolre new grounds futher and deeper. They also have combo trips that include rocks that will hold those other large interetsing species like barrelfish, wreckfish & snowy grouper. I’d love to get onto one of those trips.

I agree w/ not liking the idea of an electric reel. I did try one last trip and didn’t have the hang of it. There’s definitaly a learning cure. There were thoughs who were really good at using them effciently and they caught a lot of fish. On the other hand, there were a few who were lazy and didn’t pay attention and were a real pain and nusiance for other around them. In all honesty, if I decided to commit to this type fishing on a regular basis I’d prolly invest in electric. These are expensive trips and good electrics aren’t cheap. My reality is if I did more of this type fishing I couldn’t afford to do much other fishing & I love cod, haddock (New England trips) & stripers & blues from the NJ surf.

Good luck brother!

JD

52 mins ago, jjdbike said:

Hey Will,

I know they use all of the best tackle & heavy line. I did the same thing, bought a few and copied them. I found it challenging  to tie good neat knots in that heavy line. I stopped just short of buying a table crimper.

Where we fished on the 1 & 1 1/2 day tiles trips on the Voyager there were no bait stealers. The only thing other than tiles we caught were rose fish (small but delicious) & a couple swallowtail bass (beauticul & delicious) and broad alfonsino. Apparently white hake are sometimes landed. Also, some jigged for fresh squid & some mahi showed up and were caught. Maria the cook also jigged a wahoo. She’s a great cook but a better fisher. I’ve seen several occasions where she slid in between a couple guys not catching anything and caught one after another. She’s deadly w/a jig too.

I believe pollack are further north like where the Viking fishes. Personally I like pollack & enjoy catching them (so scrappy), though I don’t think I target tham in 600 - 900’ of water w/ 4lbs of lead. How big are these pollack? Nice 10 - 25 lbers or those little barley legals?

Watch for the Voyager’s new offshore special trip calander to be released. They always include on or two hunt for new world record tilefish trips where they expolre new grounds futher and deeper. They also have combo trips that include rocks that will hold those other large interetsing species like barrelfish, wreckfish & snowy grouper. I’d love to get onto one of those trips.

I agree w/ not liking the idea of an electric reel. I did try one last trip and didn’t have the hang of it. There’s definitaly a learning cure. There were thoughs who were really good at using them effciently and they caught a lot of fish. On the other hand, there were a few who were lazy and didn’t pay attention and were a real pain and nusiance for other around them. In all honesty, if I decided to commit to this type fishing on a regular basis I’d prolly invest in electric. These are expensive trips and good electrics aren’t cheap. My reality is if I did more of this type fishing I couldn’t afford to do much other fishing & I love cod, haddock (New England trips) & stripers & blues from the NJ surf.

Good luck brother!

JD

That’s awesome I can’t wait til they post the trips up. I’ll have to go on atleast 1 of the trophy tile hunts with them. As far as the Viking up north yeah there is pollack down there sometimes and they are all around 10 to 15 pounds. What we saw one time was giant fluke. There were 4 caught over 10 lbs one of which being 14 lbs. I don’t like using electric but a lot of people do. I thInk big game reels work the best, I sold all my tuna stuff a few years ago so I’m going to pick up a tiagra next month and I have an avet hx I’ll be using as well. With the tiagra and other big game reels and the right rod it’s not too bad if you pace yourself even with a 4 lb weight. 

what I’ve been wondering is if there’s swordfish out there in the spring. I’m going to try setting a line down at night with a sword rig in hopes of getting lucky :laugh:  I know some of the areas they fish for tile are the same areas where there are tuna and sword in the fall. I’ve also heard of snowy grouper being landed and that would be really cool. One of the reasons why I’m traveling to montauk is to make a week out of it and finally have the chance to fish the light and the south shore beaches after the trip. 

On my last tile trip w/ Voyager we were on top of lots of squid & tuna. No one tried for them.

that Montauk trip sounds awesome. It’s a cool place!

look forward to your report 

JD

7 mins ago, jjdbike said:

On my last tile trip w/ Voyager we were on top of lots of squid & tuna. No one tried for them.

that Montauk trip sounds awesome. It’s a cool place!

look forward to your report 

JD

Thank you! For this trip I will post a full report and video if I can since not a lot of people are familiar with this kind of fishing. Hopefully it turns out the same as the one last year that I didn’t have the chance to go on. I think they had 3 or 4 tiles over 50 on this trip. I’m aiming to atleast break the 40 lb mark. And that’s crazy that no one would try for the tuna. I’ll be bringing a squid jig for sure and there’s enough room on the Viking with only 28 people to live line some bait off the back if there’s tuna or other game fish around. I’ll be bringing enough stuff for anything we might run into. 

Oh, DO they now.  That's worth knowing.  Ho ho ho.

Electric reels are, I am told, easy to misuse.  Noobys get lazy and throw them into high gear as soon as they feel a fish, and the fish gets torn off.  The better way (again, this is hearsay) is to fight the fish manually until clear of the bottom, and then use power and a moderate to slow speed to get the fish further up.  Daiwa makes more electrics then anyone else, AFAIK.  They were making batteries but stopped; they might've resumed.  I don't know.  I'm told that a battery of the kind that powers a wheelchair is excellent for this purpose.  

If tiles like bluefish and salmon, they'll also probably like mackerel and strips of little tunny.  LOTS of salt on the strips, or whole sides, before popping them into the freezer; and probably leave the dark meat on the strip, too. 

42 mins ago, BrianBM said:

If tiles like bluefish and salmon, they'll also probably like mackerel and strips of little tunny.  LOTS of salt on the strips, or whole sides, before popping them into the freezer; and probably leave the dark meat on the strip, too. 

I wouldn’t know where to find albies in the spring but bluefish shouldn’t be a problem. Hopefully there’s live squid to catch out there but I’ll bring frozen too. 

Nor would I know where to find little tunny in the spring.  It's just one of those things to keep in mind.  Eels that die before use in surfcasting for stripers would work, too, and would be a much lower-drag payload (and hence need less lead) then whole strips of anything.

3 hours ago, BrianBM said:

Nor would I know where to find little tunny in the spring.  It's just one of those things to keep in mind.  Eels that die before use in surfcasting for stripers would work, too, and would be a much lower-drag payload (and hence need less lead) then whole strips of anything.

Didn’t even think of that. I was just at the tackle shop the other day and prices of those heavy sinkers are ridiculous now. $17 for a 4 lb. 

18 hours ago, Big Will said:

I wouldn’t know where to find albies in the spring but bluefish shouldn’t be a problem. Hopefully there’s live squid to catch out there but I’ll bring frozen too. 

I would hope the boat provides frozen squid. 

15 hours ago, Sparky said:

I would hope the boat provides frozen squid. 

Yeah they do I’m sure. I’ll just bring anything else I can find. 2 full days of fishing I’m trying to be prepared. Hopefully the stripers are in montauk or on the south shore by may 17th for when I get back because I really want to make a week out of it and do some serious surf fishing afterwards. I’ve never done any surf fishing on Long Island so I’m excited about that too. Btw does anyone know where I can pick up the large tile fish sinkers for cheap? Last place I was at they were so expensive. Losing them really isn’t much of a problem though as it’s mainly drifting over open bottom. 

The Voyager provides frozen squid, but they cut them in half. Taregting big ones, you’ll prolly want to bring your own whole large squid, along w/ some strip baits, e.g. steel head, bluefish, salmon, eels, etc.

JD

Have you guys tried using a tuna rail rod for tile fish?  I have a few in the rack since moving to so-cal.  Makes cranking big fish in from a stationary boat a little less painful and the same logic would probably work for a tile fish pole.  I have a seeker 2x4 and a United Composite invictus.  The fore grips on these rods are often made of rubber tubing which completely takes rod rash out of the equation. It's been awhile since I fished tiles, but I do not remember fishing more then 800.  Sounds like a nightmare.  Tangles must be brutal!