Big Will

Targeting big tiles

75 posts in this topic

For those in the know what kind of rigs do you use when targeting the largest of tile fish and what methods and bait do you prefer? I’ve done some tile fishing in the past but never had much luck with the really big ones. Seems like the pollack get in the way a lot on the shallower drops but this year I am scheduled for a full 2 days of tile fishing where we will be going a long way out. I might even schedule a second one if I can get a spot in time. We will also be targeting barrelfish and whatever lives in the deep waters. If you have any suggestions on what types of hooks you use and rigging method it would be much appreciated. I choose not to use electric reels and have fished in up to 1600 feet of water before. It’s a lot of work just getting your bait back up to the surface if you miss a bite I was thinking it might even be a good idea to rig squids On the way out so that they are attached to the line above the hook to solve that 

If you haven’t already done so, I’d speak w/ Dave A at the Reel Seat in Brielle NJ. He & the captain of the Voyager are our local experts.

They even run special trips to target trophy tiles. Dave sells all of the various tile rigs you may want w/ all the best and correct tackle.

Good Luck!

JD

What he said /\ 

Dave has the right stuff and more knowledge than anyone. 

I've only been tilefishing twice, so take what I say with a grain of salt. 

The bait of choice seems to be salmon/steelhead fillets cut into long strips.

Bluefish and fluke belly strips are also popular. 

I tried 6" gulp grubs and got no love. 

All of the above baits are coupled with whole squids.

1600 feet boggles my mind. The deepest I ever fished was 975 feet. It took 1:40 to drop the 40 oz sinker and bait to the bottom. Reeling it back up took an eternity. 

Definitely go to the Reel Seat and talk to Dave.  He has ready made rigs that are used exclusively on the Voyager.  A whole salmon cut into strips should last you two days.  The boat supplies whole squid.  Use the two together i find ups your chances of catching a nice tile.  

1 hour ago, Fly By Nite said:

Definitely go to the Reel Seat and talk to Dave.  He has ready made rigs that are used exclusively on the Voyager.  A whole salmon cut into strips should last you two days.  The boat supplies whole squid.  Use the two together i find ups your chances of catching a nice tile.  

Thank you! I will try talking to him one day when I’m down there. I’ll be going out on the Viking but I’ve heard a lot of good stuff about them. I think I’ll be doing most of my tuna trips this upcoming year with them instead of traveling out to montauk for the special trips. That’s the boat that used to be the Doris Mae  right? It’s a beautiful boat, I’m glad someone decided to use it to it’s full potentional. 

Posted (edited)

56 mins ago, Sparky said:

It really is a nice boat. 

One of the fastest too. It flies. Haven’t been on it since it was the Doris Mae though. I’m pretty sure that’s what it was ?  Actually just looked it up and I’m not sure that’s just what someone told me. 

Edited by Big Will

16 hours ago, Sparky said:

It really is a nice boat. 

He’s done some nice upgrades on it also.

He’s a really good captain and runs a great operation. He’s got a good crew & Maria is a great cook.

I highly recomend the Voyager!

JD 

2 hours ago, jjdbike said:

He’s done some nice upgrades on it also.

He’s a really good captain and runs a great operation. He’s got a good crew & Maria is a great cook.

I highly recomend the Voyager!

JD 

Thank you! I will be doing my tuna trips with them and probably some offshore wrecks in the next couple months. They’re actually doing tile next week, I’ve never heard of anyone doing it in the winter. 

Not much.  Get down far enough and it's always cold.  A Greenland shark was caught last year in the Gulf of Mexico in summer, which tells you how damn cold it is. 

Salmon strips. I'll bet any big oily fish strip (meaning bluefish) would be fine, and so would mackerel, whole and scored or butterflied. 

4 hours ago, BrianBM said:

Salmon strips. I'll bet any big oily fish strip (meaning bluefish) would be fine, and so would mackerel, whole and scored or butterflied. 

I’ll try that. I’m thinking big circle hooks and rigging the baits so the smaller fish can’t get it off. I know it’s hard to feel the smaller ones on the really deep drops even with braid especially when there’s a 4 pound sinker on the end of your line. I have 2 full days of fishing so I’m only trying to target the big ones over 20 lbs and hoping for a 50. 

8 hours ago, jjdbike said:

I’ve heard that eel strip make great bait cause they are long & tough.

Reel Seat sells trophy tilefish rigs.

JD

Thanks just checked out the site. I see the rigs are pretty much the same as what I’ve used in the past. I usually make my own rigs but I’ll just pick up a couple to take a look at them. they’re a little pricey but I can copy the rigs myself for much cheaper once I get a look at how they’re making them. I was thinking about some sort of tough strip and threading the squid over it and tying it on the top with rigging floss because losing your bait to pesky critters in deep water isn’t fun I’ve had it happen. Problem is keeping away all those pollack, I was surprised to see them that deep last time. What interests me besides the big tiles is trying to catch one of those barrelfish. This is the first one of the exploratory trips I’m going on where it’s just tile and bottom fishing. I used to go on the tuna and tile trips. We are supposed to be going very far out on this trip and fishing some really deep drops it should be interesting. As usual no electrics for me because that’s not fishing :) I think my arms are going to hurt for a few weeks after I get back.