231 posts in this topic

"Some like it Hoth."

I'm surprised any drill hole was unfrozen enough to go thru up there, lol. At least you had the truck there for warm up.

I've gone through myself but only very late in the season and in pretty shallow water (my shins got wet, that's about it). 20 years ago I did see one guy go right through over his head and fully submerge for a few seconds, also very late in the season. I've never seen anyone get out so fast and bolt back to his vehicle. :eek: I think someone chopped out a big hole and it got covered by snow over a skim coat so it was hard to see.

-bd

Slow day yesterday on 1/1 in Rehoboth but I managed a few small bass and a pickerel.

Anybody every ice fish with chubs before?  I think they suck!

1 hour ago, bdowning said:

"Some like it Hoth."

I'm surprised any drill hole was unfrozen enough to go thru up there, lol. At least you had the truck there for warm up.

I've gone through myself but only very late in the season and in pretty shallow water (my shins got wet, that's about it). 20 years ago I did see one guy go right through over his head and fully submerge for a few seconds, also very late in the season. I've never seen anyone get out so fast and bolt back to his vehicle. :eek: I think someone chopped out a big hole and it got covered by snow over a skim coat so it was hard to see.

-bd

Yeah I moved over to this area after noon, maybe 2ish. Was up to 10-12° by that point and whoever drilled the 4 interconnected holes did it that morning. They backfilled/mounded some snow and ice into the almost 20×20 opening. It had refrozen slush/ice-chunks to maybe 2+" but after I busted up the center to put my tip up down, I stepped near the opening and stress fractures went off from opening through the weaknesses in the shallow refreeze I was stepping on. Crunch. Kerplunk. 

Unfortunately, it wasn't my truck on the ice so I just dealt with the wetleg for an hr or so, as dusk was coming on and had to move off anyways. EPOs show a lot at dusk and nobody was really into much on my end of the lake, so there was no sense pushing it.

23 hours ago, giggyfish said:

Those perch are my favorite eating fresh water fish. They are fish fry perfect. Yellows and whites this time of year can’t be beat. The hardest part is finding a place to fillet them before they freeze solid. 

Agree. YMMV but I think yellows are better than smelt. Back in my ice fishing days pan fried yellows rolled in corn meal were my regular Saturday night dinner. 50 years ago while fishing Webster Lake an old Swedish guy pulled out his pocket knife and showed me how to clean and skin a yellow in 30 seconds. I cleaned hundreds using his method. Just google cleaning yellow perch and there an excellent video showing it. 

3 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

That it. I've cleaned hundreds using that method.

2 mins ago, golden said:

Anyone fishing westboro for tiger muskies yet?

I plan on trying in another year or two. They were stocked as fingerlings 2 years ago Nov of 2015. They say 3-5 years before they reach the 28" mark. So hopefully by winter of 2020 and the years following there may be some trophy sized fish to be had. 

8 hours ago, bdowning said:

Anyone hit cape ice yet? This should be a good ice year down there, possibly even as far as the outer cape. Cold enough but you always have to be careful.

Upper cape will be on the agenda for us at some pt.

Been on upper cape ice for the last 3 days. Good picking of bass, perch and pickerel. 5 to 6 in of ice on the small ponds I fish.

17 mins ago, CcCstriper89 said:

I plan on trying in another year or two. They were stocked as fingerlings 2 years ago Nov of 2015. They say 3-5 years before they reach the 28" mark. So hopefully by winter of 2020 and the years following there may be some trophy sized fish to be had. 

I had a big pike in early march break my line right off the shore the year before they were stocked; so there are still big fish in there (I had a walking cast on so my outings were limited to typical spots).

Don't doubt it one bit. When pike fishing I like my odds to be as high as possible since it is slow to begin with though. Lucked out and got my biggest ever on one of my first ice trips this season. 19 lbs, 41"