231 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Slow morning for the three of us on a bog pond in SE Mass. 4-5 YPs and a couple of LMBs under 3 lbs. All the perch were full of roe. 4 inches of almost black ice.

-bd

Edited by bdowning

2 guys went thru the ice at Quinsigamond Pond today in Worcester,and were 

rescued,a while later 2 snowmobiles went by right where they went in,brilliant !

Hit a shallow pond on the south shore yesterday. 4 bass between 1.5-3lbs and one very large pickerel using large shiners. About 6 inches of ice. Hoping for some bigger bass tomorrow! 

Very productive morning. Couple of nice bass, a few  large pickerel and a fat perch. I missed more fish than I caught, probably using the wrong hooks. I'm switching it up tomorrow to some wide gap hooks in hopes of a better hookup ratio.1231171016a.thumb.jpg.3b354474f58e8db97360c824d9029ecb.jpg

1231171133.thumb.jpg.c9a0488858c20f1ae3fd6d9e94132cc5.jpg

A foot of ice on this small pond. caught a dozen of these little guys.

Used my special jig made from my old friend And SOL buddy.....RIP Casey Ghee

Screenshot_20171231-134401.png

It’s nice to have local ice this year. I did a quick jigging trip this afternoon to Norton Res and caught a small bass, a few perch and gills before the wind got too brutal. The ice is around 7-8” thick. 

C0888175-B9EB-48C3-B8AC-E7BAD52B3359.jpeg

1 hour ago, The BuzzardsBayBruin said:

We got into em pretty good yesterday 5” of ice 

0C76F25D-7B73-4D95-9F30-395B977BD516.jpeg

A6F549B1-89D7-478E-A500-3CDBA9B9878B.jpeg

D06CA222-1A51-4A96-9D50-4F1E0D3435BE.jpeg

Great bass, did you get a weight on that?

Those perch are my favorite eating fresh water fish. They are fish fry perfect. Yellows and whites this time of year can’t be beat. The hardest part is finding a place to fillet them before they freeze solid. 

4 hours ago, giggyfish said:

Those perch are my favorite eating fresh water fish. They are fish fry perfect. Yellows and whites this time of year can’t be beat. The hardest part is finding a place to fillet them before they freeze solid. 

I’ve had them come back to life while thawing at the fillet table. We put the frozen perch in a bowl of warm water and eventually they started swimming!!!

Anyone hit cape ice yet? This should be a good ice year down there, possibly even as far as the outer cape. Cold enough but you always have to be careful.

Upper cape will be on the agenda for us at some pt.

I have not been on the Cape Ice yet but when the saltwater river freezes solid in the backyard.........It should be safe.

IMG_1793.JPG

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, bdowning said:

Anyone hit cape ice yet? This should be a good ice year down there, possibly even as far as the outer cape. Cold enough but you always have to be careful.

Upper cape will be on the agenda for us at some pt.

Cpl days back to freezing for Cape Wed/Thurs, with outer cape possibly geting some rain to start in Thursday storm. After Thurs though, back to planet Hoth through Mon morning.

As for being careful, just dont be me and you'll be all set. Was in Maine pike fishing Saturday. -20 at dawn. 11-12" ice. Truck on lake. And yet, somehow, I still managed to find a spot to punch through. Was part of a multi-hole drill complex (4) that may have been done for sight fishing who knows. Only 1 leg down to sitter, so nbd, besides wet/cold. And dented pride of course.. Locals had a chuckle over dumb guy from Mass: "effing foota ice & guy goes in. Ayuh. ..etc"

Edited by rst3