Rate this topic

On 1/16/2018 at 3:09 PM, pogie_boy said:

Sucks!  There was a tourney in Walpole I was hoping to hit NEXT weekend.   

Not sure if you were referring to the one on willet. If so (and hadn't already heard) unfortunately it's a no go.

Screenshot_20180125-120904.jpg.425db5ac89255b2f4e4725fda3d9c2d4.jpg

Good news is.. many nearby locations powered through the mild temps and rain the other day, so plenty of alternate options. Appears the recent short bursts of warmth and rain just havent been sustained quite long enough to put a majority of spots out of reach on the shoreline, or out of commission altogether. 

Looks like more up and down weather for a bit..then hopefully the pattern forecast pans out with a little deeper, more extended cold for the balance of February. 

Fishing kills me exactly as it keeps me alive.

Hemingway, Old Man and the Sea

15 mins ago, CcCstriper89 said:

Just got to do some searching; plenty of safe ice around. Here is a 14 lb northern I iced running bait on the jig rod. 6 lb test; biggest on a jig rod to date for me. 63CB5EF9-9046-4711-8985-21B97D7ACD94.png.9986aa76dcb5f7232f43c9d1df01285f.pngEA362AAC-4236-4BCE-AD0B-D57CD5864297.thumb.jpeg.38e7bef1f653342e1a113b1af13aff0e.jpeg

Wow. Very nice!

Chasing false echoes

Send lawyers, guns, and money - Zevon

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - Thompson 

DITCH TROLL 333

On 1/27/2018 at 5:22 PM, z-man said:

I saw a few people out on the ice this morning on Norton Res and Winnecunnet.  I was going to fish this afternoon but the wind got too strong.  Looks like its going to get cold this week so we should be good next weekend.

I was out with guys on the Nip Saturday, ice was only 3"...many open areas scattered around. By 11 it was toast. Sunday rain all day. That's it, not expected to recover.

KIMG0015.jpg

I went up to Brookfield and fished the Lions Club derby.     Typical day on Quaboag for me, two pickerel and a small bass, none of which were big enough even to weigh.

But i still won $25 during the 5 minute drawings (I won 8:50am)     

One of these days I'll find a decent spot to fish around there.

hoping to get out there somewhere next Sunday perhaps.

DITCH TROLL

3 hours ago, pogie_boy said:

I went up to Brookfield and fished the Lions Club derby.     Typical day on Quaboag for me, two pickerel and a small bass, none of which were big enough even to weigh.

But i still won $25 during the 5 minute drawings (I won 8:50am)     

One of these days I'll find a decent spot to fish around there.

hoping to get out there somewhere next Sunday perhaps.

Do 'ya mind me asking, what is the ice thickness and 'surface quality'??, I know that last one means nothing to most...but is it good to 'skate' on?

1 hour ago, FishRatz said:

Do 'ya mind me asking, what is the ice thickness and 'surface quality'??, I know that last one means nothing to most...but is it good to 'skate' on?

So first thing Saturday morning it was like glass.  People without creepers or cleats would have had a hell of a time walking around.
Then Saturday afternoon, and I'm assuming yesterday, there was a good amount of meltwater on top as the temps got up over 40 degrees.

So other than the billion holes drilled on Saturday that have hopefully froze over today, I would bet that once that meltwater freezes it will be even more glasslike.

The only thing I don't know is if it got pebbly yesterday as it was really warm at home anyhow.

Ice thickness ranged from 7 to 10 inches across the pond (I fished each end and the middle) on Saturday.  We must have lost at least an inch over the last day or so.  Should be making up for it over the next week tho.

Edited by pogie_boy
DITCH TROLL