231 posts in this topic

Winter is here, guys are already slaying. Cape ice is in the forecast. Here is where you can post anything you would like to share!

Lets see some pictures!!!

Big gains in thickness over next 10days.. esp in W.MA & up in N.NE where temperatures will be very low, plus many hrs of decent wind. Some charts on ice growth (formula based) ..then some comments on *reality-based ice growth.* Of course moving water is a whole different game and none of this applies

1) Assuming constant temps and no real-world factors, here's the different growth once things ice up:

day.jpeg.0760b43617e6902f3069cd3e444e1195.jpeg

week.jpeg.be737dca35e01e93b2d91c7944ac8ec1.jpeg

Now realityIceReality.png.3fba19582604a6442d4680e46bc31c12.png

> Catch em up:).

I'll be out somewhere on Saturday.   

I plan to check the Norton Res tomorrow Morning if I can find a spud or hand auger today.

Posted (edited)

We started snelling our octopus hooks, instead of just tying, to floro....huge increase in hook-up ratio!

IMG_3314.jpg

Edited by TBYRD

Hopefully I will be walking on water somewhere in SE Mass this weekend.

-bd

P.S. Yesterday afternoon spudded Hopkinton Res at back of the long cove near the inlet. About 2-3 inches of hard white ice. You can probably add another inch after last nite.

nice chunky bass TBYRD!

My old man has an itch to scratch and wants to give it a go...at least on Saturday it looks relatively balmy at 24 degrees and minimal wind.

Poked a hole in the grove lake in Holbrook today, it was 5”. Plan to go out this weekend on the South Shore. How many yards of line are you guys putting on your tip ups? 

Thanks

3 hours ago, galley614 said:

How many yards of line are you guys putting on your tip ups?

Mine are loaded to @ 1/8" from "full"

Not really sure of the yardage on them but it's ALOT!   if I get spooled that beast will have to break the spool off! Lol!!

I prefer light colored dacron to enable me to see the direction the fish has run prior to lifting the tip-up.

7 hours ago, pogie_boy said:

I'll be out somewhere on Saturday.   

I plan to check the Norton Res tomorrow Morning if I can find a spud or hand auger today.

There were people fishing on Norton Res this afternoon.

10 hours ago, The BuzzardsBayBruin said:

I like this, thank you for sharing.

My old man would say an inch per day at 10 degrees once it’s locked up. 

NP. I'd say your old man's rule of thumb is pretty darn good. No doubt learned from a lifetime of real world ice observations that include the common inhibitory factors (some degree snow cover etc).

This cold wave we're in is basically the max setup we could expect to see to build ice rapidly in SNE. Prolonged extreme cold, plus wind, with little snow cover, during the darkest week of the year. Most normal arctic blasts stick around 2,3 days, then modify- so spots like the Cape where temps might bounce right back to near freezing have a tough time really building ice. But this cold snap gives us 7-10days, so everybody gets in on the fun. 

Next time we even make a run at 32 is Wed/Thurs, when a powerful Noreaster may (keyword 'may') be nearby. In the wake of that next potential storm, there are signs another arctic blast could punch back in behind it. At least for a cpl more days. We'll see. If nothing else, the 1st week or 2 of Jan should feature great ice in many places that often miss out