Toyota Sequoia

BrianBM

No issues on the beach.  Felt the 4WD didn't engage as nicely as the 99 Expedition it replaced but then that POS rusted apart.  Never got stuck, loads of room inside.  Had Wetokole seat covers and a Curt front receiver hitch.  Installed a Rod Mounts Rod Loft Pro inside and with some crude custom hangers could get an 11'4" one piece Lami inside front to back.  Had a Thule cargo box for winter ski trips and in summer, a Yakima Showboat for the tandem yak.  Great truck, wife loved it as it was her daily driver the 1 mile she traveled to work.  Gas mileage was much better than the Expy and tons more pep.  I think the only drama was the Toyota stuck gas pedal recall, that's all I remember. 

"Endeavor to persevere" Lone Watie

The Sequoia is on the same truck frame as the Tundra P/U.  Both trucks are overdue for, and per Toyota announcements, getting, a thorough overhaul.  This is expected (a cautionary note, here) to include a fully boxed frame, new engines including dual port fuel injection, and a revised interior. There may be some cautious use of aluminum body panels, but nothing like Ford's huge shift to aluminum in the F-150 in 2015.   The engines are probably naturally aspirated, one of which at least will be derived from a Lexus engine out within the past year or two. There may be a hybrid powertrain in the near future, too. A six-speed transmission is anticipated but not confirmed, and no one would be surprised if it turns out to have a seven or eight gear transmission.  

A much-revised Tundra is probably a year ahead of a much-revised Sequoia.

I care very little for the styling issues that preoccupy the car press. There are lots of alleged spy-shot photos floating around the Internet, most of which are on sites badly translated from the original Japanese. Help yourself.  Toyota is the one company from whom I might buy a first-year vehicle, which is generally a bad practice.

It's a hefty vehicle, no doubt.  Anything built on the frame of a full size P/U is going to be hefty.  Still, the beach is full of one-ton P/U carrying camper bodies around, I can't see a Sequoia outweighing one of those.  

Weight distribution is a different question, and as to that, I don't know. 

A lot of Sequioas are elligble for brand new frames at no cost to the owner due to the class action lawsuit that just passed. I have a 2006 currently in the shop (Toyota is going to spend $14k on the new frame install). I spent less than 5 grand on it and it serves as a tow vehicle and a buggy, couldn't be happier!

Here is my very biased but substantiated view on it...

I would never get a vehicle with IRS or IFS. These are vehicles that have a higher chance of breaking down due to the weak suspension. Add gear, cargo, and all of the weight of the truck can break the suspension when going over bumps over time. The new Landrovers in USA are using these suspensions, as opposed to solid beam axles in the past, for comfort purposes.

Solid axle trucks ride very hard and literally have to be dropped from a building to snap. Add a 2UZ IRON Block engine and you have a landcruiser 100. While the US has protectionism laws that do not allow the Solid Front AND Rear Axle + Indestructible V8 Hino (Not Cummins) Diesel Landcruiser 70 or Hilux (basically a Heavy Duty Tacoma), which by the way get up to 30-40mpg, we do get the LandCruiser 100 and 200 in petrol. A new one costs around 85k, but you can find yourself a used lc100 or lc200 with 70k miles for about 40k.

I highly advise to get used LC100/LC200, because you will never have to repair it. It will never break and will yield in nearly 0 cost repairs outside of regular maintenance. 

As for space, you will be losing a bit in a lc as compared to a sequoia, but with the sequoia, you will lose trust and be afraid every time you go over tough terrain. For most occasions, the sequoia will handle just fine, but you won't be able to 30mph over dunes. If you just want to take your family out to the same spot on the beach slowly every time and just enjoy the day, then the sequoia will do perfectly fine.

If you dont want a used LC and dont have funds for a new LC, I suggest the 4runner. It has less space than the LC, and much less space than the Sequoia, but you have the LC Prado platform underneath with a solid rear axle. I have a 4runner as I cannot afford a LC and it rides like a tank. I don't air down at all and drive over the dunes in long island flawlessly. Crawl Control + Locking Rear Diff will get you out of any situation other than if you are stuck underwater in the ocean floor.

In 2 years, I will be selling this 4runner for a used LC100 as I will need a 7 seater. 

The Tundra is also great I heard. It is extremely spacious, but it is not JDM. This is an american product. American products are usually inferior to JDM in terms of reliability, but Tundras are apparently beasts that drive forever also, so this one can be tricky to decide from. Aside from the LC100,LC200, 4runner, or Tundra, I would not look at any other brand or model if my sole purposes in a vehicle purchase are to have 0 fees in maintenance and a tank that will ride forever.

It is a biased look, as I know many Jeep owners will ridicule me for being closed minded, but I have seen many jeeps stuck and have never seen a JDM land cruiser frame based truck stuck... ever... and while I I know Sequoias, Wranglers, f250's, and RAM's, are strong, american, and get MUCH better gas mileage, if I ever was stuck on the side of a road in the winter, I would always regret not paying more for a bulletproof truck than paying for towing. 

Edited by hoakge12000

Protectionist laws?  More likely the Hino engine doesn't comply with current air quality standards.  

Driving over dunes?  I'll report anyone I see doing so in a hurry.  Not on Long Island, you don't, every clown who does is another invitation to close the beaches to off-road driving entirely.  I look at 4x4 vehicles for beach driving.  I have no intention of driving the Rubicon Trail or racing in Baja. I do want to bring a sleeping back, stretch out, and thereafter be able to fish a 2:00 a.m. tide.   

52 mins ago, mike3dr said:

Not sure about the above statements but (from memory) I think that Consumers Reports do not give the Tundra or Sequoias a good rating compared to their american counter parts.  I could be wrong its been awhile since I looked at it.  I do own a Highlander though. 

CU very correctly pays little attention to the suitability of vehicles for off-road driving, since the vast majority of people who buy a 4x4 vehicle will never leave the pavement.  Toyota SUV and P/U vehicles are quite dated, compared to their American counterparts; what they offer is long term longevity and reliability that I don't credit Ford or GM with being able to match. Jeeps vehicles are for people who like changing brake components with every second oil change ( :p ) and cherish every excuse to go under the hood.  I'm following Toyota news with interest because the Sequoia and Tundra, along with the 4runner, are supposed to get major changes by 2020. My 4runner has been great; at 175K it is definitely past its' youth, so I am sniffing the wind.  And I need more room for aging joints. Either I've gotten stiffer or the 4runner has shrunk.