Fish Skulz Faux Bucktail hair

Rate this topic

NJTramcar

This is a thread I started last spring when the Faux BT first showed up. After this past season of tying and fishing, my opinion has not changed. It makes a decent Surf Candy, but I actually did not use it much and used real BT and the more translucent Super Hair or Unique Hair more for my Surf Candies and epoxy minnows. I wish they'd make the Faux BT more translucent--as someone says in the thread above, the Faux Bucktail is really more like Super Hair with tapered tips than real bucktail. JMO YMMV 

I use it on some Snook Fly pattern because it is very opaque and I like that in the off color water. The thing I don't like about it is it does not compress when you wrap the thread on it and you get some rather bulky heads.

With that being said I think the material is designed that way to be used in conjunction with the Fish Skull Heads in order to get a snug fit on the head. I found using the Skull head with real buck tail I had a hard time getting the head to fit and not rotate around on the hook.

The Tug Is The Drug

P1060161avrs.JPG.4cfec72f29b8d59afe85d0e7a9d85266.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/18/2017 at 11:08 AM, jabster said:

My personal opinion is that the Faux bucktail is one of the worst product's that has been pushed on to the market in quite some time. 92% of the other products out there are better. but that's just me. Someone else might like it a lot. 

I agree with jabster 100%.

If you are one of the fly tyers who think faux bucktail is a great product, hang in there because it's bound to be on closeout sales soon from opinions of fly tyers I've read online.

I'll echo everyone else's opinion and say that I'm not really a fan at all. The last thing that we need is more synthetics, and if imitation is the most sincere form of flattery, I'd be darn unhappy to be a nice deertail that's being compared to that junk. In my opinion, deertail is far superior, is more  biodegradable if lost in a tree, has a much better odor--I enjoy the "stink" of a tail--and also offers a much wider variety in terms of hair types.

• 3 weeks later...