Zeebaas vs Van Staal

Rate this topic

Huy

So I have been using van staal for almost a year now. I can’t help but think that there might be a better reel out there. I have used the VSX and VS models. Recently I picked up a VSX200 to add to my collection but it was kind of to big for the type of fishing I been doing. It was not until a friend introduced me to Zeebaas. I want to know from those who owned both Zeebaas and van staal, which would be their go to reel? Any truthful advice from season user of both types of reel would be much appreciated. I’m quiet sure you have seen these type of topic before but please humor a fellow fisherman. I know both reels are great but there hasn’t been more of a comparasion between the two makers.

I own the latest generation ZBs, as well as Van Stall VS, VSX, & VR's.

The VS is built well and was the standard for years but is now an outdated design, 

The VSX is a big upgrade since line lay and drag issues are much improved over the VS.

The VR is not built as stout as the VS or VSX but has the great line lay and drag and is more versatile with interchangeable rotors and spool sizes and capable of complete self service.

I think the ZeeBaaS is superior since it combines the best features of all the Van Staal offerings in one package;

Great line lay

Excellent drag

Versatility with interchangeable rotors and spool sizes

Completely self serviceable

Made in the USA

I think the ZB is the best overall, it costs more but you get what you pay for.

That being said,, my VR gets the most use followed by the ZB and the VSX. The VS is retired.

Just my 2 cents worth, your mileage may vary.

Edited by recoil

IMO it really comes down to personal preference. But I will say having owned VS, VSX, and a VR as well as a ZB, I'd steer clear of the original VS unless you can find a spectacular deal. After that, I don't think you can go wrong. I did sell my ZB once I started using the VSX. 

16 hours ago, ged said:

I have owned both and I prefer ZB:

- Made in US

- Better drag

- Smoother reel

85B1B605-B06A-48B0-AE4D-995DE502CEF3.jpeg

Self service covers all the seals in ZB while in VanStaal the most important seal, the main seal, is not being covered with the self service kit. A Kind of cheating in my opinion.

15 hours ago, Huy said:

I notice u have a VR, have you own a VSX? Or VS? They are night and day between those reel.

I don’t have a VR, I have a Subaqua with a VR spool :shock:

i have owned 20-25 Van Staal reels. After years and many experiences I prefer ZB. 

15 hours ago, Huy said:

Is it a smoother drag as in less force input? But innotice the drag ratio are the same.

When I hook a nice fish in heavy current my drag is 100% predictable, smooth and reliable. I simply don’t need to worry about that critical function.