2018 fishing goals

Rate this topic

joefishnj21

Just curious what a lot of fellow SOL members goals are for 2018. Just a few weeks away from when the calendar turns. Every season is different, and each previous season I think dictates how a fisherman approaches the next.

I'm hoping to do a lot more fishing throughout 2018 in the Monmouth County rivers. Hoping to get into some local bass come spring time.

Also have to get out of my comfort zone on techniques. I'm a popper, soft plastics type of fisherman. For 2018 would love to fish more with teasers, bucktails, and even bait from the surf...something I typically ignore. Def think I need better preparation overall before I go out.

Size wise- Would love to catch a double digit fluke and finally crack the 30lb mark on a bass.

-All the best this coming year.

Great topic. I've got it in my head to re-experiment with casting eggs this year. I used them quite a bit in the 80's around the MoCo jetties for small bass. But it was all near-surface fishing with small spearing/rainfish size teasers. I broke them out again a few weeks ago and have been hammering short bass in the wash. It's a blast.   I've got some new design ideas for casting eggs to be paired bigger bunker, eel & mullet style flies. I'm going to make eggs that float, slow-sink, stay neutrally buoyant, sink, etc. Lots of options to get the flies into all levels of the water column. I'll spend some time at the lathe, pouring lead, and tying flies this winter and see what happens. By this time next year my log will include keeper bass, fluke, weakies, albacore,  & gator blues all on the casting egg.... Ok, that's my goal, but I'll probably find time to do 1/10 of it.  One can hope! 

1 hour ago, SG1 said:

Great topic. I've got it in my head to re-experiment with casting eggs this year. I used them quite a bit in the 80's around the MoCo jetties for small bass. But it was all near-surface fishing with small spearing/rainfish size teasers. I broke them out again a few weeks ago and have been hammering short bass in the wash. It's a blast.   I've got some new design ideas for casting eggs to be paired bigger bunker, eel & mullet style flies. I'm going to make eggs that float, slow-sink, stay neutrally buoyant, sink, etc. Lots of options to get the flies into all levels of the water column. I'll spend some time at the lathe, pouring lead, and tying flies this winter and see what happens. By this time next year my log will include keeper bass, fluke, weakies, albacore,  & gator blues all on the casting egg.... Ok, that's my goal, but I'll probably find time to do 1/10 of it.  One can hope! 

Great back bay tactic. I too have been carrying on in the surf recently but haven't needed it. 

IMG_0631.PNG

My goal is to break the 40 and then 50 lb mark :laugh: I know I can break 40 from shore cause I have a plan but the 50 is going to be hard and is probably more like a dream until it happens. Also want to break the 100lb tuna mark which should be easily achievable. I also plan to fish a lot more this year as I’ve been away from the sport for a few years. I’m only hunting big fish starting in the spring and I’m going to be doing a lot of traveling but I know that big one is coming from down the street. 

Just to get out more. The last few years I have literally been unable to afford a day off to go fishing more than once or twice a year. Now that I can have regular days off without worrying about budgeting a loaf of bread, I want to try to get out to the surf at least once a week. Not terribly concerned with the specifics as long as I am on the sand.

I’ve been out of the game for the most part for the past 4-5 years due to relocation, time and frustration post sandy, other then some weekend warrior trips here and there. My goal for 2018 is to relearn the area I primarily fish.  Structural changes due to replenishment, patterns, etc.  I plan on getting out a lot more too.  

I’m living in Camden County due to work now, so I plan on spending sometime learning to fish the many freshwater opportunities around here too.  When I was living in ocean county, this wasn’t ever something I got in to seriously.  

My goal for 2018 is to concsiously appreciate the beauty around me, sunrises, sunsets, the whales breaching on bunker that have no bass under them, gannets, old squaw ducks. I love the wind, the smell of bait and the promise of first light. My goal is to keep doing what I've been doing as much as I can, a few albies this year would be cool.

My goals for 2018:

- to keep up with a log book/journal and to focus on learning something from each trip.

- Figure out how to fish the back bays for larger fish in early spring

- Recon and find some big breeders in the Delaware

- Catch a fish over 20# in MTK

- Break the 30# mark again and put in more time towards a true 40#

- Continue to learn how to fish SS Darters and experiment when to fish other darters

- learn how and when to fish a needle in jersey and even more so in boulder fields up north.

- break the double digit mark on a tog....find togzilla.