surfseeker86

Hobie Question

91 posts in this topic

4 mins ago, The Riddler said:

I agree it needs to stop.  I apologize to the community.

Are you ready for whats about to come at you? -Drum beat

18 mins ago, hoakge12000 said:

Are you ready for whats about to come at you? -Drum beat

I guess so. Bring it.

Ridenfish, The circular pedal motion of all the prop boats is different than the to and fro treadle action of the Hobies, try them both out. The mirage drive is quite robust, I have about 400 trips on mine. Its been smashed in the rocks numerous times, left on an open dock for 16 days, and Ive only had to replace one drive cable in 6 seasons. If its too big to lift you can get a Hullavator lifting roof rack. Trailers are easy like pickups, but you have to park them. Your reciever hitch can help you load and lash a yak as well.

Screenshot_2017-12-08-13-29-31-1.png

The mirage drive is mechanical so it will break down more often than a paddle. Sometimes on inconvenient days in inconvenient places. They are very reliable, but sooner or later you can expect problems. I've gone through an idler cable, an idler pulley, and a pedal shaft in the 3 years I've had mine. Only the pedal shaft made the drive unusable, and luckily that happened right as I launched.

Posted (edited)

15 hours ago, kross57 said:

The mirage drive is mechanical so it will break down more often than a paddle. Sometimes on inconvenient days in inconvenient places. They are very reliable, but sooner or later you can expect problems. I've gone through an idler cable, an idler pulley, and a pedal shaft in the 3 years I've had mine. Only the pedal shaft made the drive unusable, and luckily that happened right as I launched.

I've used mirage drives since 2003 and have yet to have a problem I didn't cause myself.  (A couple bent shafts).  Not everyone has problems if they take care of their equipment.  Pedaling is a whole lot better than paddling.

As far as Hullavators, only the lighter Hobies will work on them.  I used one for an Outback but when I went to PA's I had to sell the Hullavator.  I use a truck bed or trailers now.

Never tried a Revo so I am out there.

Edited by kayak99

4 hours ago, Mtrap said:

Ok guys what are you’re  thoughts on the revo 16

Its like a 70's muscle car ... super fast (read tall and slim), sexy looking (read tall and slim, again), can't turn worth a damn, unwieldy out of water ... you'll either love it or hate it.

6 hours ago, kayak99 said:

I've used mirage drives since 2003 and have yet to have a problem I didn't cause myself.  (A couple bent shafts).  Not everyone has problems if they take care of their equipment.  Pedaling is a whole lot better than paddling.

As far as Hullavators, only the lighter Hobies will work on them.  I used one for an Outback but when I went to PA's I had to sell the Hullavator.  I use a truck bed or trailers now.

Never tried a Revo so I am out there.

That's what makes averages. Some people have few problems, some have lots. I do feel I maintain my drive quite well. The parts that failed on me were not due to maintenance issues. 

As far as pedaling being better than paddling, its always a matter of opinion. Each has pros and cons. 

Just when I thought I've made up my mind, I find a thread to make me wonder more.

I have both. 2015 Revo13 and 2017 Outback. The outback has more storage space. More stability compared to the revo. Although it is a tad bit slower and a little heavier. The outback is my fishing machine. I feel safer because of the extra width and the stability. Especially in big open water. The revo has been sitting in the garage ever since i got the outback.

On 12/16/2017 at 1:45 AM, hnguyen said:

I own both OB and Revo 13.  If you are a big guy (close to 200 or more) then OB no question - Stable & safety.

For a medium/smaller guy (me) then you have a choice.  Which kind of fishing and how far you peddle to the spot are the main questions?

I am going out 4-5 miles so I mostly use the Revo (also for lake fishing).  You can fell the different that the Revo is less effort than the OB after 10mins of non stop peddle.

I only use the OB on a rough day because I fell much more stable/safer out there.  However, it is a bit harder to get thru the surf.

Thank you for this post, I'm 6'5" about 220lbs and I think the outback would be the better option for me for the space and more comfortable chair. 

Posted (edited)

The Outback and Revo have the same seat.  I weigh 240 and have been fishing out of the Revo 13 since 2010.  There are others over 275 that fish the Revo 13. 

Im curious as to which model if any will fit your 34”-38” leg inseam!  Youll be maxing out the Drive setting! 

Edited by The Riddler

4 hours ago, The Riddler said:

The Outback and Revo have the same seat.  I weigh 240 and have been fishing out of the Revo 13 since 2010.  There are others over 275 that fish the Revo 13. 

Im curious as to which model if any will fit your 34”-38” leg inseam!  Youll be maxing out the Drive setting! 

yeah, im a 36 inch inseam... will definitely have to take one out for a test before purchasing  

I prefer the outback. Better stability and storage. Reduced speed compared to the revo. There’s several new peddle drives out there now. Does anyone have any experience with any of the new ones?