surfseeker86

Hobie Question

91 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, The Riddler said:

I have not insulted that kayak angler.

Really? I will explain it one more time. Get a pen. 

Hnguyen's post:  

"We maybe talking 2 different types of big waters and fishing style.  In the Gulf of Mexico here, it is very choppy and unpredictable.

The Revo 13 weight capa is 350lbs meaning you only have 110lbs left at max.

You + your gears  + ice chest (lots of ice due to hot weather here) + 2 king mackerels (easy 50+lbs) + other fishes => It is not very safe"

Seemed sensible and nice enough to me. Just a guy offering his personal experience and why fishing style can make kayak weight capacity an important consideration. 

Then, Riddler's response:

"I catch over 50 lb Striped Bass out of the Revo 13.  I could keep inside the hull of the  Revo 13 too if I had too. I can stuff my drive with turbo fins down the hatch too if it’s rough surf as well.  

The waters of New England are just as unpredictable as the GulF Of Mexico.  In fact fished The Gulf Of Mexico for two weeks last year fishing from Navarre , Pensacola , Destin and spots off Grand Isle in New Orleans.  Everything done in the Revo 13.    I remember launching from Navarre Pier with 6 other kayak anglers and they couldn’t believe I was fishing in the Revo. I fished the same way they did trolling two rods out with plugs on one rod and a duster rig with cigar minnow on the other .  A lot of fun down there and the Revo 13 got the job done. No struggles, easy just like it is here in New England.  But when the fan turns on, I want a 2014 Revo with low seat. 

I never pay pay attention to gross kayak paddler  or max weight. Some  Kayaks can be become unfishable and a bathtub  at 1/2 of what is listed never mind a boasted 600lbs in some.  I was once involved in the design of the Trident 15.  You know how they figured out gross paddler weight?  Several of us jumped on the deck, asked our weight and called it max paddler weight.  Water was coming over the gun whales.  Not a fishable platform for me but to each their own.  That’s how they figured it out.  I can’t speak for all manufacturers but that’s how it was done in La Jolla. 

I respect your opinion, experience and feedback but I have to wonder where some folks come up with some of the stuff that is posted and understand you like to drag out the cooler with ice sit in a lawn chair trolling.  I get it and that’s great but there isn’t one way and the Revo 13 can handle kayak anglers over 275lbs that I have seen. "

WTF????  The guy was talking about weight capacity in relation to hauling around 100+ pounds of fish, and large quantities of ice. Which YOU DON'T DO! Who cares where you stuff your drive? Wakey, wakey! 

Second, why would you say "I have to wonder where some folks come up with some of the stuff that is posted and understand you like to drag out the cooler with ice sit in a lawn chair trolling." 

I mean, where does this come from? The guy never said anything about a cooler or trolling and he doesn't use a lawn chair seat. This is all crap you invented.  

That's why I said give it a rest. You are obviously in a foul mood and just looking for some poor slob to dump on. Quit it. And stop trying to rattle my cage with your other crazy stuff. Grow up.    

You can also add handles to any kayak to make lifting it easier. I do this often, since a lot of boats don't have handles where they should.  Easy to do.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, kross57 said:

Really? I will explain it one more time. Get a pen. 

Nguyen's post:  

"We maybe talking 2 different types of big waters and fishing style.  In the Gulf of Mexico here, it is very choppy and unpredictable.

The Revo 13 weight capa is 350lbs meaning you only have 110lbs left at max.

You + your gears  + ice chest (lots of ice due to hot weather here) + 2 king mackerels (easy 50+lbs) + other fishes => It is not very safe"

Seemed sensible and nice enough to me. Just a guy offering his personal experience and why fishing style can make kayak weight capacity an important consideration. 

Then, Riddler's response:

"I catch over 50 lb Striped Bass out of the Revo 13.  I could keep inside the hull of the  Revo 13 too if I had too. I can stuff my drive with turbo fins down the hatch too if it’s rough surf as well.  

The waters of New England are just as unpredictable as the GulF Of Mexico.  In fact fished The Gulf Of Mexico for two weeks last year fishing from Navarre , Pensacola , Destin and spots off Grand Isle in New Orleans.  Everything done in the Revo 13.    I remember launching from Navarre Pier with 6 other kayak anglers and they couldn’t believe I was fishing in the Revo. I fished the same way they did trolling two rods out with plugs on one rod and a duster rig with cigar minnow on the other .  A lot of fun down there and the Revo 13 got the job done. No struggles, easy just like it is here in New England.  But when the fan turns on, I want a 2014 Revo with low seat. 

I never pay pay attention to gross kayak paddler  or max weight. Some  Kayaks can be become unfishable and a bathtub  at 1/2 of what is listed never mind a boasted 600lbs in some.  I was once involved in the design of the Trident 15.  You know how they figured out gross paddler weight?  Several of us jumped on the deck, asked our weight and called it max paddler weight.  Water was coming over the gun whales.  Not a fishable platform for me but to each their own.  That’s how they figured it out.  I can’t speak for all manufacturers but that’s how it was done in La Jolla. 

I respect your opinion, experience and feedback but I have to wonder where some folks come up with some of the stuff that is posted and understand you like to drag out the cooler with ice sit in a lawn chair trolling.  I get it and that’s great but there isn’t one way and the Revo 13 can handle kayak anglers over 275lbs that I have seen. "

WTF????  The guy was talking about weight capacity in relation to hauling around 100+ pounds of fish, and large quantities of ice. Which YOU DON'T DO! Who cares where you stuff your drive? Wakey, wakey! 

Second, why would you say "I have to wonder where some folks come up with some of the stuff that is posted and understand you like to drag out the cooler with ice sit in a lawn chair trolling." 

I mean, where does this come from? The guy never said anything about a cooler or trolling and he doesn't use a lawn chair seat. This is all crap you invented.  

That's why I said give it a rest. You are obviously in a foul mood and just looking for some poor slob to dump on. Quit it. And stop trying to rattle my cage with your other crazy stuff. Grow up.    

This is awesome Kross....Never seen you so angry....and guess what?  My posts had absolutely nothing to do with you. Wasn't even directed to you and most importantly it wasn't even directed to Nguyen as being off color, bullying, or what ever dribble comes out of your troll headquarters.  You know who is hyping this up?  You are....because that's what trolls do.....that's what you are....you don't dry suit argument anymore so now you are looking for other stuff....He didn't know I fished the gulf so I let him know. For all I know he might have been one of those folks I fished with down there.

Kross, you argue with every east coast pro both former and current. Anyone who is a kayak guide in your area and New York, you argue with....you know why?  Because you're a never was. You haven't won anything, you haven't designed anything....all you can do is troll and it's a gosh darn riot. :laugh:

Does this mean you are going to come up here and slash my tires too like that poor bastard down your way?  Yes, we read that about you. You can't even troll good anymore. You suck.

Edited by The Riddler

4 hours ago, Africaster said:

Hullavator - takes the wind out of the equation, takes the make and model of the yak out of the equation, reduces the chance of shoulder surgery down the track.

If I had to choose between a drysuit and a hullavator ... I wouldn't be yakking in extreme cold for a few years.

i got no hullavator and no drysuit ;)

3 hours ago, cheech said:

As stated, balance is key. For easier cartop clean and jerks make a mental note or mark the exact balance point on a yak. It does away with the need for head english to stop a teetering yak. To negate the sail effect of a high cross wind load/unload move the car 90°s.

this

Did the op ever state his weight, height. etc.? You know the Outback, get the Revo, you can always switch back. In following seas stay dead square to the wave and accelerate as it picks you up.

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, The Riddler said:

This is awesome Kross....Never seen you so angry....and guess what?  My posts had absolutely nothing to do with you. Wasn't even directed to you and most importantly it wasn't even directed to Nguyen as being off color, bullying, or what ever dribble comes out of your troll headquarters.  You know who is hyping this up?  You are....because that's what trolls do.....that's what you are....you don't dry suit argument anymore so now you are looking for other stuff....He didn't know I fished the gulf so I let him know. For all I know he might have been one of those folks I fished with down there.

Kross, you argue with every east coast pro both former and current. Anyone who is a kayak guide in your area and New York, you argue with....you know why?  Because you're a never was. You haven't won anything, you haven't designed anything....all you can do is troll and it's a gosh darn riot. :laugh:

Does this mean you are going to come up here and slash my tires too like that poor bastard down your way?  Yes, we read that about you. You can't even troll good anymore. You suck.

Let's be clear. He was "forwarding" the threat to me. And recommended I get AAA. Another Nostradamus prediction.

Kinda like "asking for a friend"

Edited by EliasV

23 mins ago, EliasV said:

Let's be clear. He was "forwarding" the threat to me. And recommended I get AAA. Another Nostradamus prediction.

He's a lovable gods creature special kinda guy.  :rav:

30 mins ago, EliasV said:

Aren't you glad to see the path this thread has taken? 

Elias, from the responses it seems that the Revo may not be THAT much faster and you will be less comfortable. Not mentioned yet unless I missed it is whether you are basically sitting in water during the colder months. There may be a way to make the other kayak just a little faster. Test the weight distribution (less in front, more in back, etc) to see whether you are able to cut down on the drag.

* You could also remember to pull in the drift sock before heading to your next fishing spot !  LOL

i have both the revo and outback. Both are versions of the pre lawn seat upgrade. If you get the revo.. the straps on the sides on the older models can be a real pain in the ass. The outback is definitely wider and more comfortable. Its a big difference in pedaling the revo and ob. I broke a shaft trying to pedal the ob faster and harder racing my wife while she was in the revo. The revo doesnt need much force to go faster.  Storage - not much of a difference only that the front hatch of the revo is much more convenient to open and close. Sometimes helpful when you need to open and close hatch quick in rougher conditions. You have more opportunities to be creative with the deck on the ob rather than with the revo. There is more surface space on the sides to play around with on the ob.

5 hours ago, chewy2000913 said:

i have both the revo and outback. Both are versions of the pre lawn seat upgrade. If you get the revo.. the straps on the sides on the older models can be a real pain in the ass. The outback is definitely wider and more comfortable. Its a big difference in pedaling the revo and ob. I broke a shaft trying to pedal the ob faster and harder racing my wife while she was in the revo. The revo doesnt need much force to go faster.  Storage - not much of a difference only that the front hatch of the revo is much more convenient to open and close. Sometimes helpful when you need to open and close hatch quick in rougher conditions. You have more opportunities to be creative with the deck on the ob rather than with the revo. There is more surface space on the sides to play around with on the ob.

i'd like to add that to achieve 3kt crusising in revo twkes about half the leg power than that of achieving 3kt in an OB.

2kt revo with same leg power would equate to 1kt in ob. at the higher end, 6kt in a revo would equate to 4kt in ob, but ob can go up to 5.5 kt i think, which would mean you are usain bolt inside the ob and can damage the mitage drive or hull if its not strong enough. just to be clear, this is not a speed comarison, rather than leg power effort comparison.

5 hours ago, kross57 said:

It's always nice to be appreciated. 

Looks like you are out of trolling materiel for now? You'll be back. You will sit on sidelines watching. Looking for your next attack, could be by text maybe slash someone else tires?  Always nice to dry out a troll and expose that fake bull****.

18 hours ago, cheech said:

Did the op ever state his weight, height. etc.? You know the Outback, get the Revo, you can always switch back. In following seas stay dead square to the wave and accelerate as it picks you up.

I'm actually 5'9'' and about 185lbs.  I think the Revo will be more than enough; I might just have to give it a try.