surfseeker86

Hobie Question

91 posts in this topic

I've only fished an outback once so I don't have much to comment on there but most of the people I have fished with changed from a revo to an outback.  The main complaint I hear from them now is the hull slap and ride in rough conditions with the outback and how the revo cut through the waves better. 

This is all really good stuff.Lots of great info to process this winter. I'm also planning on buying a Hobie in the spring. On the fence between the Revo 13 and Outback. I plan to demo each one(more than once if necessary). The trick for me is I'm 6'4", 32" inseam and 210lbs so I'm wondering if that extra space the Outback affords will be needed. I try as much as I can to travel "bare bones" with what I bring. My longtime yak has been a Heritage Redfish 14, which I still love but isn't practical for the water I fish which is primarily the Ma North Shore. Lots of screaming current, chop, etc. The Redfish handles it all like a champ except, it seems like many outings are spent with more paddling than fishing, hence the Hobie. I've read some comments from other tall guys that say the Revo has adequate space when the pedals are on 7. Any additional info, particularly big dude specific would be helpful. I should also mention that one of my fishing "goals" is to try some new water and ultimately cover more ground.

Thanks 

Not sure, but with the pedals on 7 you may lose some of the pedal stroke. I'll check a drive tommorrow.

2 hours ago, fishnbear said:

This is all really good stuff.Lots of great info to process this winter. I'm also planning on buying a Hobie in the spring. On the fence between the Revo 13 and Outback. I plan to demo each one(more than once if necessary). The trick for me is I'm 6'4", 32" inseam and 210lbs so I'm wondering if that extra space the Outback affords will be needed. I try as much as I can to travel "bare bones" with what I bring. My longtime yak has been a Heritage Redfish 14, which I still love but isn't practical for the water I fish which is primarily the Ma North Shore. Lots of screaming current, chop, etc. The Redfish handles it all like a champ except, it seems like many outings are spent with more paddling than fishing, hence the Hobie. I've read some comments from other tall guys that say the Revo has adequate space when the pedals are on 7. Any additional info, particularly big dude specific would be helpful. I should also mention that one of my fishing "goals" is to try some new water and ultimately cover more ground.

Thanks 

I'm a 30" leg and have no hull slap from the blades on the 5 setting. I would say 6 would be your setting 32-34". If you have hull slap then you bump it up to 7.

Since you are coming out of the Redfish 14, the Outback will be a step back. A lot of volume and a lot of pain in the ass of car topping and negotiating the rocky launches on the North Shore even with a cart. The Outback is not efficient at all in the big water, it's a volume boat but if you want to bring a lot of stuff and load up on the gadgets great. But it's shorter than the 14 Redfish and will plow through the water and not as sleek in the waves as compared to the 13 or 16. Personally, you may want to look at the Revo 16. That will be an upgrade in performance compared to your Redfish 14. Keep in mind, with any of the Hobies, they all suck in following seas with wind and current at your back. Many of us like to pedal and gain a nice speed and then tumble on a wave from behind. This past fall over in Nahant I had to grab the paddle to get back. That Northeast at 20 can be a bitch.

My home waters are Boston to Gloucester vectors. The Revo 13 suits my needs bringing 2 rods for Bass fishing, a few trays in the crate with my normal assortment of rubber and wood and I'm good to go. I don't troll, mostly jig and cast. If I want to troll I either hold the rod or toss it in the rear rod holder. Works for me. Sometimes I wish I had the 16....but since I toss my 13 in the back of my Tacoma and on a bed extender with my cart attached, and ready for nuclear assaults?  Tough to give that luxury up since the 16' will stick too far out.

I own both OB and Revo 13.  If you are a big guy (close to 200 or more) then OB no question - Stable & safety.

For a medium/smaller guy (me) then you have a choice.  Which kind of fishing and how far you peddle to the spot are the main questions?

I am going out 4-5 miles so I mostly use the Revo (also for lake fishing).  You can fell the different that the Revo is less effort than the OB after 10mins of non stop peddle.

I only use the OB on a rough day because I fell much more stable/safer out there.  However, it is a bit harder to get thru the surf.

2 hours ago, hnguyen said:

I own both OB and Revo 13.  If you are a big guy (close to 200 or more) then OB no question - Stable & safety.

I weigh 240 and use the Revo 13 in big water all day for years. I'm curious where you came up with that assessment?

Im surprised the Revo 11(11ft 6in) doesnt get much love. Its the same width as the Revo 13 and is only 6in shorter than the outback. Its also a good 15-20 lbs lighter than the outback. Ive had my Revo 11 out it some pretty nasty crap, been 3miles out for cod, and can keep up with the Revo 13 as well. It also turns on a dime, car tops easily, and can be used pretty much any where.

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, The Riddler said:

I weigh 240 and use the Revo 13 in big water all day for years. I'm curious where you came up with that assessment?

We maybe talking 2 different types of big waters and fishing style.  In the Gulf of Mexico here, it is very choppy and unpredictable.

The Revo 13 weight capa is 350lbs meaning you only have 110lbs left at max.

You + your gears  + ice chest (lots of ice due to hot weather here) + 2 king mackerels (easy 50+lbs) + other fishes => It is not very safe  :)

IMG_0242.JPG

Edited by hnguyen
add pic

I think the OP wants a one does it all, but its hard to explain that it depends on the type of fishing he does. He says he stays in the bays, but if I understand correctly, there will be incoming and outgoing tidal current non stop and depending on the speed, it can be a real pain to use the OB in these strict conditions...

16 mins ago, hnguyen said:

We maybe talking 2 different types of big waters and fishing style.  In the Gulf of Mexico here, it is very choppy and unpredictable.

You + your gears  + ice chest (lots of ice due to hot weather here) + 2 king mackerels (easy 50+lbs) + other fishes => It is not very safe  :)

IMG_0242.JPG

Those are super nice fish!  Yup, its all in how you use it. 

2 hours ago, Baitbucket said:

Im surprised the Revo 11(11ft 6in) doesnt get much love. Its the same width as the Revo 13 and is only 6in shorter than the outback. Its also a good 15-20 lbs lighter than the outback. Ive had my Revo 11 out it some pretty nasty crap, been 3miles out for cod, and can keep up with the Revo 13 as well. It also turns on a dime, car tops easily, and can be used pretty much any where.

You definitely work harder to maintain the same speed as the 13. But it is lighter and easier to handle off the water than the OB or 13. Mine is qute stable, and seems a match in that category for the other hobies. It does have less weight capacity and you are limited in space.  

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, hnguyen said:

IMG_0242.JPG

That’s a nice King Mack. I catch over 50 lb Striped Bass out of the Revo 13.  I could keep inside the hull of the  Revo 13 too if I had too. I can stuff my drive with turbo fins down the hatch too if it’s rough surf as well.  

The waters of New England are just as unpredictable as the GulF Of Mexico.  In fact fished The Gulf Of Mexico for two weeks last year fishing from Navarre , Pensacola , Destin and spots off Grand Isle in New Orleans.  Everything done in the Revo 13.    I remember launching from Navarre Pier with 6 other kayak anglers and they couldn’t believe I was fishing in the Revo. I fished the same way they did trolling two rods out with plugs on one rod and a duster rig with cigar minnow on the other .  A lot of fun down there and the Revo 13 got the job done. No struggles, easy just like it is here in New England.  But when the fan turns on, I want a 2014 Revo with low seat. 

I never pay pay attention to gross kayak paddler  or max weight. Some  Kayaks can be become unfishable and a bathtub  at 1/2 of what is listed never mind a boasted 600lbs in some.  I was once involved in the design of the Trident 15.  You know how they figured out gross paddler weight?  Several of us jumped on the deck, asked our weight and called it max paddler weight.  Water was coming over the gun whales.  Not a fishable platform for me but to each their own.  That’s how they figured it out.  I can’t speak for all manufacturers but that’s how it was done in La Jolla. 

I respect your opinion, experience and feedback but I have to wonder where some folks come up with some of the stuff that is posted and understand you like to drag out the cooler with ice sit in a lawn chair trolling.  I get it and that’s great but there isn’t one way and the Revo 13 can handle kayak anglers over 275lbs that I have seen. 

Edited by The Riddler

2 hours ago, The Riddler said:

That’s a nice King Mack. I catch over 50 lb Striped Bass out of the Revo 13.  I could keep inside the hull of the  Revo 13 too if I had too. I can stuff my drive with turbo fins down the hatch too if it’s rough surf as well.  

The waters of New England are just as unpredictable as the GulF Of Mexico.  In fact fished The Gulf Of Mexico for two weeks last year fishing from Navarre , Pensacola , Destin and spots off Grand Isle in New Orleans.  Everything done in the Revo 13.    I remember launching from Navarre Pier with 6 other kayak anglers and they couldn’t believe I was fishing in the Revo. I fished the same way they did trolling two rods out with plugs on one rod and a duster rig with cigar minnow on the other .  A lot of fun down there and the Revo 13 got the job done. No struggles, easy just like it is here in New England.  But when the fan turns on, I want a 2014 Revo with low seat. 

I never pay pay attention to gross kayak paddler  or max weight. Some  Kayaks can be become unfishable and a bathtub  at 1/2 of what is listed never mind a boasted 600lbs in some.  I was once involved in the design of the Trident 15.  You know how they figured out gross paddler weight?  Several of us jumped on the deck, asked our weight and called it max paddler weight.  Water was coming over the gun whales.  Not a fishable platform for me but to each their own.  That’s how they figured it out.  I can’t speak for all manufacturers but that’s how it was done in La Jolla. 

I respect your opinion, experience and feedback but I have to wonder where some folks come up with some of the stuff that is posted and understand you like to drag out the cooler with ice sit in a lawn chair trolling.  I get it and that’s great but there isn’t one way and the Revo 13 can handle kayak anglers over 275lbs that I have seen. 

Geez, Riddler, give it a rest. New England waters may be rougher than the Gulf, but your Cape Cod Bay is a lot smaller and typically more gentle.  Yes, you might catch a 50-pound striper once in a blue moon. But you don't haul 2 of them around in your kayak. he may bring ice out, yet I hardly think those kings fit in a cooler. He never said cooler. Maybe he uses some type of fish bag or slides them in the hull. Finally, I'm assuming the kayak behind him is the one he uses. It does NOT have a lawn chair seat. 

His points about angler weight plus gear in relation to capacity were appropriate.

Pay attention! And get real. 

16 mins ago, kross57 said:

Geez, Riddler, give it a rest. New England waters may be rougher than the Gulf, but your Cape Cod Bay is a lot smaller and typically more gentle.  Yes, you might catch a 50-pound striper once in a blue moon. But you don't haul 2 of them around in your kayak. he may bring ice out, yet I hardly think those kings fit in a cooler. He never said cooler. Maybe he uses some type of fish bag or slides them in the hull. Finally, I'm assuming the kayak behind him is the one he uses. It does NOT have a lawn chair seat. 

His points about angler weight plus gear in relation to capacity were appropriate.

Pay attention! And get real. 

Give it a rest?  I don't live in Cape Cod Bay. I fish from Gloucester to Boston. Exposed to the NE and E wind. SW in the gulf. The Revo 13 can handle both Atlantic Coast Waters and Gulf Of Mexico. It's just facts. So I'm gonna talk some facts..if you don't like it? That's just too bad. I don't know what to tell you.