surfseeker86

Hobie Question

91 posts in this topic

I have been fishing my 2015 LE Outback for two seasons now.  I love the platform and have no “real”complaints; however, I am thinking about switching to a Revo 13. I like the idea of improved paddeling and an increase in speed but what would I be giving up other than extra space? Also, when compared to the Outback, is the Revo the better overall Hobie platform for saltwater bay/inlet/ocean? I know there’s no definitive answer (or maybe there lol), just looking for feedback.

My only complaint with the Revo is peddling with a following sea.  It can get squirrely and be a real pain.   That said I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Posted (edited)

Is the Revo 13 really that much faster / more efficient than the Outback? The reason I ask is I will be buying one of these next year and fishing some big tides and gnarly water - so I'm trying to weigh up the advantages of the efficiency of the Revo against the initial stability of the Outback.

Edited by JRT

4 hours ago, YakDawg said:

My only complaint with the Revo is peddling with a following sea.  It can get squirrely and be a real pain.   That said I wouldn't trade it for anything.

I read about this issue before but also found myself a bit uncomfortable in the Outback under the same conditions. Other than those instances, do you feel like it excels in most conditions?

For me the difference is weight and agility.  About a 50lb difference.  the revo is much lighter and lower to the water level.  I have a revo 13 and have been in large swells and never felt I was in risk of dumping.  Being low allows me to shift my weight as the swell hits.  Also when landing  ocean side (the most critical moment) in a large break the maneuverability while paddling allows me to ride the wave when needed.  I have often considered an outback or PA but that agility is not something I would give up as I am an ocean angler at heart and love the rough seas out front.   

Less room yes 

I am actually in the opposite position looking to trade my outback for a revo. Feel free to check out my recent post in the BST forum if you are interested. Now I know this isn't a BST forum so...

I was in your, very similar, shoes about 6 months back when I traded my outback for a revo 13 which I now have (I also have an outback that I got for guests).

Speed:

The revo 13 is not that much faster than the outback, meaning if you paddle very fast you will reach 5kt in outback and around 6kt in revo (fair estimate for the feel). The big difference here is that you will have to work hard for the 5kt in the outback vs the 6 kt in the revo. In the revo, if you want to go fast, you can, but after a long time you will also get tired as you do in the outback after a short time. I think that the perfect traveling speed for the outback is 2.5kt and revo is 3.5kt to maximize efficieny to travel distance. This is just my opinion and wanted to share my thoughts on the speed differences.

Stability:

Both are VERY stable. Yes, the outback is a tad more stable, but in my experience, I would NEVER go out on the outback just because the revo seemed unstable. If the seas made me feel scared, an outback would NOT solve the problem for me. Trailing seas will make you feel worse on the revo when coming in, but it's just a mind trick. The revo sits lower in the front/middle but actually accumulates less water in the rear as compared to the outback which always feels like it has a pool in the rear storage area. As for normal seas (0-3ft), I would sit parallel at times to the wave without an issue. You sit much lower in the revo and feel like you are a part of the water, and not something that is standing on it like you do in outback. Either way, if you are entering heavy seas and risk death, outback is the way to go. 

Waves:
Revo is so much better for sailing through waves. The nose cuts the wave in the resultant water goes to the side, instead of onto the kayak like in the outback. Now, if you are going at 5kt through rough seas, you will get wet as the wave that you cut in half will go around the front of the revo and into the mid section and will wet your seat/butt.

Storage:

It's not much different if you just want to fish with all the required/backup fishing gear. If you want to stay out there on the lake for 12 hours with food, clothing, 10 rods and a dog, then outback/PA is much better. The only con to the outback is that the rear storage is nearly always wet, whereas in the revo it is almost always dry.

Front Hatch:
Revo has a usable... and easily accessible front hatch. Add a storage bin and with two fingers snaps you can put in anything there with easy reach without having to break your spine underwater.

Anchoring:

Revo SUCKS for anchoring. The turning radius very wide and often times when current pushes you with wind somewhere else temporarily while you are dropping an anchor, prepare to waste a lot of time making round trips. Outback gets pushed more with the wind I think, but the sharp turning radius makes up for that.

Fishing Quality:
For bottom fishing close to shore, Outback wins. For trolling and ocean fishing, or fishing in bay with high current, revo takes it.

Comfort:

Getting to the spot is a pain in the outback, but once you get there you can sit all day. With the revo, there is no pain getting to the spot, but to have full comfort throughout the day would require lifting the chair up, which would require flat water conditions.

Hope this helps. These are just my experiences with he outback and revo. I say that unless you need the speed and are tired of getting...tired, stick with the outback. If you dont care about bottom fishing and are all about the striper bonzana, get the revo.

5 hours ago, hoakge12000 said:

I am actually in the opposite position looking to trade my outback for a revo. Feel free to check out my recent post in the BST forum if you are interested. Now I know this isn't a BST forum so...

I was in your, very similar, shoes about 6 months back when I traded my outback for a revo 13 which I now have (I also have an outback that I got for guests).

Speed:

The revo 13 is not that much faster than the outback, meaning if you paddle very fast you will reach 5kt in outback and around 6kt in revo (fair estimate for the feel). The big difference here is that you will have to work hard for the 5kt in the outback vs the 6 kt in the revo. In the revo, if you want to go fast, you can, but after a long time you will also get tired as you do in the outback after a short time. I think that the perfect traveling speed for the outback is 2.5kt and revo is 3.5kt to maximize efficieny to travel distance. This is just my opinion and wanted to share my thoughts on the speed differences.

Stability:

Both are VERY stable. Yes, the outback is a tad more stable, but in my experience, I would NEVER go out on the outback just because the revo seemed unstable. If the seas made me feel scared, an outback would NOT solve the problem for me. Trailing seas will make you feel worse on the revo when coming in, but it's just a mind trick. The revo sits lower in the front/middle but actually accumulates less water in the rear as compared to the outback which always feels like it has a pool in the rear storage area. As for normal seas (0-3ft), I would sit parallel at times to the wave without an issue. You sit much lower in the revo and feel like you are a part of the water, and not something that is standing on it like you do in outback. Either way, if you are entering heavy seas and risk death, outback is the way to go. 

Waves:
Revo is so much better for sailing through waves. The nose cuts the wave in the resultant water goes to the side, instead of onto the kayak like in the outback. Now, if you are going at 5kt through rough seas, you will get wet as the wave that you cut in half will go around the front of the revo and into the mid section and will wet your seat/butt.

Storage:

It's not much different if you just want to fish with all the required/backup fishing gear. If you want to stay out there on the lake for 12 hours with food, clothing, 10 rods and a dog, then outback/PA is much better. The only con to the outback is that the rear storage is nearly always wet, whereas in the revo it is almost always dry.

Front Hatch:
Revo has a usable... and easily accessible front hatch. Add a storage bin and with two fingers snaps you can put in anything there with easy reach without having to break your spine underwater.

Anchoring:

Revo SUCKS for anchoring. The turning radius very wide and often times when current pushes you with wind somewhere else temporarily while you are dropping an anchor, prepare to waste a lot of time making round trips. Outback gets pushed more with the wind I think, but the sharp turning radius makes up for that.

Fishing Quality:
For bottom fishing close to shore, Outback wins. For trolling and ocean fishing, or fishing in bay with high current, revo takes it.

Comfort:

Getting to the spot is a pain in the outback, but once you get there you can sit all day. With the revo, there is no pain getting to the spot, but to have full comfort throughout the day would require lifting the chair up, which would require flat water conditions.

Hope this helps. These are just my experiences with he outback and revo. I say that unless you need the speed and are tired of getting...tired, stick with the outback. If you dont care about bottom fishing and are all about the striper bonzana, get the revo.

Great comparison!! Very accurate. IMO, the only other point is transport. Outback is much heavier to carry, but you can fit it in the bed of a pick-up. In surf, they are about the same.

3 hours ago, kross57 said:

Great comparison!! Very accurate. IMO, the only other point is transport. Outback is much heavier to carry, but you can fit it in the bed of a pick-up. In surf, they are about the same.

I lift both of them with my own hands off the roof of my 4runner when I go with my father. the outback is heavier BUT that 1 foot helps it. the revo will be lighter but harder to control if you put it up top. 

13 hours ago, surfseeker86 said:

I read about this issue before but also found myself a bit uncomfortable in the Outback under the same conditions. Other than those instances, do you feel like it excels in most conditions?

I'm very comfortable in it.  Hoakage above gave a nice breakdown and each boat has different atributes.   I'm happy sacrificing deck space and some stability for speed and less weight to lift.  Best advice is to try them out if you can.

14 hours ago, hoakge12000 said:

Speed:

Stability:

Waves:

Storage:

Front Hatch:

Anchoring:

Fishing Quality:

Comfort:

Thank you for the extensive breakdown.  I spend most of my time on the move and have only on few occasions attempted to anchor (Drum Fishing); however, since I am primarily a bay fisherman, I'm not sure if its worth the change.  I am going to really try things out this spring.  If Santa's good to me, maybe I can find a way to hold on to my Outback as well and just add the Revo to the fleet.

1 hour ago, surfseeker86 said:

Thank you for the extensive breakdown.  I spend most of my time on the move and have only on few occasions attempted to anchor (Drum Fishing); however, since I am primarily a bay fisherman, I'm not sure if its worth the change.  I am going to really try things out this spring.  If Santa's good to me, maybe I can find a way to hold on to my Outback as well and just add the Revo to the fleet.

I recommend you try out the revo next spring to see how you feel before you buy it. The game changer for me was that the outback is great for fishing tight to structure and the revo is great for cruising after albies.

If speed is what you are looking for, then there's also the option of strapping an engine onto your outback, along with AMA/AKA? 's for extreme stability. That way you have the storage + speed all in one for half the price of a new kayak for about 1.5k instead of 3k. Just thinking out loud.

I do feel a lot less cramped in the outback after a long day leisurely fishing. My back kills me in the revo after 8 hours some days. The old seat with wheels configuration was a lot more forgiving imo for the long hauls.

3 hours ago, EliasV said:

I do feel a lot less cramped in the outback after a long day leisurely fishing. My back kills me in the revo after 8 hours some days. The old seat with wheels configuration was a lot more forgiving imo for the long hauls.

Is it safe to say that if you were forced to stick to one, it would be the Outback?

On 12/13/2017 at 10:45 PM, surfseeker86 said:

Is it safe to say that if you were forced to stick to one, it would be the Outback?

if you want to go fishing, do you want a very slow but packed car, or fast car that can carry less weight. will you be traveling far or staying locally? 

does this analogy help? it seriously depends on the type of fishing you do. bait fishing nearby=outback. chasing fish or moving a lot / revo. you cant have a one has it all and it wont feel that way if you take one or over the other.