JohnP

Josh Rosen Giants?

9 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I was not a fan of UCLAs Rosen early in the season. 

Even after they came back to beat Texas A n M

but I did go to the Rose Biwl a few weeks ago and saw him play. 

Much more physical than I expected. 

Extemely impressed with his ability to evade sacks.

Much more accurate of a passer though I thought he still had a tendency to just put it up there instead of surgically killing a secondary. 

Hes rated higher than Mayfield. I think he's a better pro than Jackson.

Some drafts have him going to the Giants 

probably better than Eli ever was, but he'll need a great coach to work him into an offense 

has the pedigree but still a bit of a project. 

Should they grab him if they can?

Edited by JohnP

I’ve seen him play, on tv, a few times. I think he can play and play well in the NFL. He’s a projected 1st rounder, I believe. 

Inre the Giants, I’m an Eagles fan, you guys need to fix the O line. Start there and get the QB later. Even next year. They drafted a kid this year, play him next year, if he stinks, re-evaluate the position. Also, Eli is still under contract!! He doesn’t have to be traded! 

16 hours ago, JohnP said:

has the pedigree but still a bit of a project. 

Do you risk a 1st on a project?

especially a 1st that will be as high as this years 1st is going to be?

Yes, because there are no guarantees and unless you know that your #3 QB (whathisface?) is going to be your next starter, post-Eli, a QB remains the single most important guy on the team. None of us know what the Giants really have in the current #3, and the coaches probably aren't sure either. 

Any new offensive line is going to have a learning curve, too.  Who was the coach who said that every new player you draft costs you one game? Eli is pretty good at rolling and ducking with the impact of a hit.  He can probably handle more of the failures of a poor O-line then can a new QB. If the O-line can't block adequately for runners, then a highly talented running back isn't going to do you a lot of good either. 

Sad conclusion: no matter how good this draft turns out to be, the Giants are more then one draft away from where they want to be, and where they thought they were last fall.   

Yes I agree the o line needs more work than the QB. But it is slightly easier adding some O lineman than getting a potential franchise QB.  Well we have bowl season coming up. I'll be watching.

i would say this though, watching a player live is quite different than watching him on TV. TV only focuses on the player who has the ball. You can't see the D and secondary shifting. And you can't see the receivers running their routes, how they are being covered, and then watch the decision-making of the quarterback. 

The other QB I was quite impressed with some years ago was Ryan Mallet of Arkansas. I expected him to be a starter in NFL so that just goes to show you.

9 hours ago, JohnP said:

Yes I agree the o line needs more work than the QB. But it is slightly easier adding some O lineman than getting a potential franchise QB.  Well we have bowl season coming up. I'll be watching.

i would say this though, watching a player live is quite different than watching him on TV. TV only focuses on the player who has the ball. You can't see the D and secondary shifting. And you can't see the receivers running their routes, how they are being covered, and then watch the decision-making of the quarterback. 

The other QB I was quite impressed with some years ago was Ryan Mallet of Arkansas. I expected him to be a starter in NFL so that just goes to show you.

How has improving the o line been working out for the Giants?? It’s not that easy! :D Getting a top 5 qb killed next year shouldn’t be a priority. Eli is use to that drek, he knows what to do! 

hopefully your new GM will have some sense of talent and fix it.