bonefishdick

Trout Report 12-07-2017

35 posts in this topic

Much cooler today but the good thing was the winds were on the light side. Mostly from the SW and at times they would lay down to almost nothing and at other times they put your cast on hold because it was always in you face and with 6 x tippet you just had to play the waiting game from time to time.

The hatch was not as prolific but enough to keep you busy. the biggest issue was that many of the fish were a good distance away.

I arrived around 9 am shortly after Stan. Stan had a good day and put 7 fish in the net, broke off 4 and missed more than that number combined.

For me I did not get as many hits and only had one break off. I think I had at least 10 missed fish.

This was my first of the day. A nice little Bow.

P1090420sol.JPG.701c36dd5a8c24ae39a987e06a906450.JPG

Shortly after I picked up this fish Stan hooked a good fish and again a very good job with his 7 x tippet. He thought at first he had another big Brown but after we both looked at it we both agreed it was a very good Tiger in some nice fall Brown colors. 

P1090429sol.JPG.092fd3afc0b901dd4364811648f90c7f.JPG

P1090430sol.JPG.4fddebf49f75acf0f5c7b3362627d8b8.JPG

The fish were playing hard to get and the thing that I remember most about today  way not the fish I caught but the one that when I set the hook and things went tight and again the fish did not budge and how the quick surge once again took its toll. When I brought my line in and inspected the leader I was missing the fly and the 6 x tippet. It broke at the connection of with the 5 x. That surprised me and I can only think when I cinched it tight I weakened it because it did not lubricate it. All of the means nothing now. Nor long after this was my sympathy fish after I rebuilt my leader and tied on a new fly.

This was also my last  fish of the day. I want to say that is too is a Tiger but it sure looks like a Brown

P1090433sol.JPG.cf3b9dbfbd216a356543d2609657eea3.JPG

Stan left at least an hour or more before me and I finally decided to call it a wrap with the obvious shut down of breaking fish and dropping temps and stronger winds. I like the fact that once I was back in my civvies Dunkins is not a very long ride to get the body warm.

Not sure what the forecast has in store but things are not looking good from what I am hearing.

Edited by bonefishdick

Posted (edited)

Strange markings for a Brown, Stan and I were not sure because the spots looked more like the markings of a Brookie. Is it a different strain than the German Brown.

Edited by bonefishdick

I know what you mean about its markings, but instead of vermiculations, these are just odd, blocky spots. It's a great looking trout and one that's been eating well. Well done, Stan.

Steve Culton

Beautiful fish, BFD. That last one particularly. I've not been able to get out as much as I'd like to recently, but the ponds just off the cape seem to be absolutely dead any time I can find a few hours to fish them. 

Excellent Report! Thanks for sharing. The brown is pretty darn cool. Love the markings and love how their tails are square. Must have been a fun fight. Looks like the weather is taking a turn tomorrow for a while...

I'll give you a hint, trout don't care what size your tippet is, in fact, they like it to be on the thicker side of things so that it doesn't break on them. I've fished 3x tippet down to size 18 flies for trout exclusively on all sorts of streams, even those finnicky limestone creeks without any trouble at all. Just throwin that one out there. 

2 hours ago, Ftyer said:

I'll give you a hint, trout don't care what size your tippet is, in fact, they like it to be on the thicker side of things so that it doesn't break on them. I've fished 3x tippet down to size 18 flies for trout exclusively on all sorts of streams, even those finnicky limestone creeks without any trouble at all. Just throwin that one out there. 

Trout like thicker tippets? 

It's been awhile since I've had a real good conversation with one, but I know that they don't like having tippet hanging from their mouth, so if that means upping its thickness/strength, I think that they'd love it.

1 hour ago, Ftyer said:

It's been awhile since I've had a real good conversation with one, but I know that they don't like having tippet hanging from their mouth, so if that means upping its thickness/strength, I think that they'd love it.

I'll give you a hint, maybe the reason you have not had a good conversation with a good fish is your fishing to heavy a tippet. I will only say one more thing, it always helps to know your audience.

BFD. If it’s not too much intel.... are you and Stan fishing long, like 11’ or longer leaders?  Even though this is SOL, I like these trout reports even more than your salty adventures.

Well, I don't know if I'd agree there, Bonefishdick. I used to think that tippet size mattered, I did the standard tippet calculation and ended up fishing a lot of 5x tippet. I also found myself breaking my line more often than I wanted to. So I did some experimenting, and I started fishing 4x tippet exclusively and I still caught the same amount of fish and ended up breaking less tippet. I was happy with these results for sure as I don't like my fishing to cause unnecessary litter or affect a fish's mortality unnecessarily. Then, I figured screw it, let's take this to the next level and see what I can get away with doing on 3x tippet, and it turns out, nothing ended up changing except for a very easy ability to remove my fly from snags or brush or other things. I experimented with this quite a bit and was fully convinced after fishing a number of trico spinner falls on a very popular limestone PA stream that's known for weary trout, turns out I was able to catch just as many fish as I could with 5x tippet fishing this spinner fall. This was about a three year experiment and I can't say that I caught any fewer fish in those three years than I would have in the past, in fact, I probably caught a few more just because you learn as an angler year by year.

Also, if you don't trust my opinion, maybe trust George Harvey's. I'm not sure if you've read any of his stuff or not, but he's about as intelligent/skilled as an angler could be. And he, like myself, found that he was breaking too much line using fine tippets. So one day while on another popular PA stream, he found a pod of fish working beetles that were falling from a nearby tree that was below a bridge. He watched the pod, gathered some bettles and some various tippets/mono ranging from 5x all the way to straight 80lb test and impaled the beetles and began to see if the fish refused any beetles that were presented with a drag-free drift. It turns out that if the drift didn't have drag, then the beetles were eaten, even using 80 lb mono. The main thing here is, with a drag-free drift, you can really get away with fishing heavier tippet and decrease the amount of breakage you have, whether it's in a fish's mouth or a tree.

Not trying to ruffle feathers at all here, man, just providing my opinion, as I've found this to be a gamechanger in my fishing, and I think that it also caters to less overall fish mortality, which, as an angler who relies on fish to keep me occupied, I enjoy quite a bit.

Ftyer Thanks for you input, I don't expect you to agree and I did not think you would so you can just keep doing your thing and I will do mine just like I have been for over 60 years and all with a fly rod..

The only question I would ask is did the thought of a faulty knot ever cross your mind when I said I lost my tippet and fly and that it broke between the 5 x and 6 x. The fish was hooked solid and was on for a bit. 

Just an FYI, I know who George Harvey is and when It comes to fishing Chalk Streams, I have a son who lives in Boiling Springs PA with the Yellow Breeches at his doorstep and the Big Springs and Letort are not to far away either. I can also say those are not the only streams or rivers I have fished in PA. I visit my son often and he is one hell of a fly fisher, guess who taught him. 

Like I said , you should know your audience before you jump to conclusions. 

1 hour ago, JohnDe said:

BFD. If it’s not too much intel.... are you and Stan fishing long, like 11’ or longer leaders?  Even though this is SOL, I like these trout reports even more than your salty adventures.

John 

We are fishing 11 to 12 ft leaders, I use 6 x, Stan has been using 7 x. Both of the fish Stan caught in my lasts two posts were on 7x.

We are fishing a pond as you know so getting a drag free drift is not the issue and as you know Still Water fishing is a whole different ball game. The weather is going to be an issue the next three or four days but our plan is to try again on Tuesday, hopefully we will have more to report.

These are a couple quick shots of the Midge fly we have been using. Tied on size 16. Poly wing material for the tail, body black thread, Peacock    tied in at Thorax, Grizzly hackle tied before Peacock is wrapped. Wrap hackle behind the Peacock. Very simple fly. 

P1090435sol.JPG.7d44abaf96d381d947f98555587ac134.JPG

P1090438sol.JPG.26a77e7df24fa346af12be47566a5784.JPG