yosco

Keep No Bass.

172 posts in this topic

4 mins ago, XBMX said:

Based my post on how the RedFish rebounded in the Gulf to the fishery they have today.

redfish ain't bass...

 

there are reasons why it worked relatively well with redfish and more that a few reasons not to automatically expect the same result for bass. you can't just look at what happened with one and automatically expect the exact result with the other.

 

for starters, look at their biology. then, maybe look at the past and existing fisheries and see the differences. ultimately, a slot is irrelevant for redfish (and snook, so don't bring up that example either). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

I'd be fine...keep maybe one per year....would suck for party boats...they'd be done...

 

 

In N.J they can go after fluke, weakfish or blackfish.

It’s rude to say “who cares?” but if this madness continues like this

they will be done anyway!

Just look what happened with striper in N.C.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember all too well what things were like in the early 80's.  Think it took me over two seasons to land a Bass exceeding the 36in limit.  Proud to say I poked a hole in its back with a ALS Tag instead of a gaff.  I'm no marine biologist just a Bass lover that wants his grandkids to enjoy the sport as I have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep no bass? I don't think regulations are going stop the poachers from what they are doing already. If we are to revive the population, it has to be a collaborative effort, and sadly poachers are a big portion of that...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 mins ago, Mircopolo said:

In N.J they can go after fluke, weakfish or blackfish.

It’s rude to say “who cares?” but if this madness continues like this

they will be done anyway!

Just look what happened with striper in N.C.

I don't know man.....take striped bass off the table.....and boats won't move

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 mins ago, Mircopolo said:

Just look what happened with striper in N.C.

 

For those not familiar with what happens in NC - this is a graph of recreational landings in NC:

NC-rec-striped-bass-landings.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 mins ago, hoakge12000 said:

Keep no bass? I don't think regulations are going stop the poachers from what they are doing already. If we are to revive the population, it has to be a collaborative effort, and sadly poachers are a big portion of that...

Apparently part of what motivates poachers is the black market sale of bass to restauranteurs, fishmongers (?), etc. Take that option off the table and you'll see a lot less poaching, save those who want to bring some home to feed themselves and family. I'm pretty much strictly a C&R guy, and although on occasion I've been known to order striper in a restaurant (making me one of those "10% elites", apparently...?), I would be glad to give that up to restore the fishery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, AJL said:

Apparently part of what motivates poachers is the black market sale of bass to restauranteurs, fishmongers (?), etc. Take that option off the table and you'll see a lot less poaching, save those who want to bring some home to feed themselves and family. I'm pretty much strictly a C&R guy, and although on occasion I've been known to order striper in a restaurant (making me one of those "10% elites", apparently...?), I would be glad to give that up to restore the fishery.

If this is the case, the black market sales of bass, then changing the regulation laws won't be very helpful. I doubt those poach boats care about the population so as long as the bank account grows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 mins ago, TimS said:

 

For those not familiar with what happens in NC - this is a graph of recreational landings in NC:

NC-rec-striped-bass-landings.png

Thanks Boss!

It would be interesting if we have the same data for commercial, MD,VA,NC?

Fortunately I am living by the lake with plenty of nice strippers.

Not the same kind of fishing like surf but anyway...

And in surf I had to convert myself to redfish mainly, so I got good idea what in the cards for you guys up north, oops I am still fishing there.

It is coming, but not everybody wants to see or acknowledge it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

I don't know man.....take striped bass off the table.....and boats won't move

 

I used to go on company outings from Perth Amboy on Sea Pigeon with

Capt.Marty and he was doing fluke most of the time, almost exclusively.

Mornings and sunsets.

Hey, you can always put Chilean sea bass on the table, or halibut.

And if you really want striper there is Wallenpaupack lake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love eating striper... I’m okay with Commercial fishery going down for a while, but I’d still keep the occasional rec fish with or without the moritorium. 

 

Because we eat them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Mircopolo said:

 

Hey, you can always put Chilean sea bass on the table, or halibut.

 

Neither are within casting distance of the shores i Fish.

 

part of the reason I Fish is to provide food for my family. The wife eats fish 2/3 times a week.  ( cod, haddock, striper, fluke, seabass, scup, tautog, bluefish, trout, swordfish ect... ) most of which I harvested and vac sealed

 

I only buy swordfish at the market, again because I can’t get it any other way. 

 

I dont trust most fish  sold at market, I grew up eating fresh.  ( I think this is why she married me )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, hoakge12000 said:

Keep no bass? I don't think regulations are going stop the poachers from what they are doing already. If we are to revive the population, it has to be a collaborative effort, and sadly poachers are a big portion of that...

the black market has always existed, it's not really a factor for what is happening to the resource today. what we are seeing today is due to the 'legitimate' fishery, both commercial and recreational. 

 

we need to reduce what we remove from the resource overall. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

I'd be fine...keep maybe one per year....would suck for party boats...they'd be done...

 

 

Party and charter businesses would fight to death over such regs.  Will never happen.  Stripe bass is a huge money maker for them.  That's what they do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now