Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianBM

Jeep I-6 vs. Pentastar

8 posts in this topic

Chrysler is about to introduce a Pentastar engine with fuel injection.  I don't know whether they will do so through the intake, or directly into the cylinder, or both. That seems a long-overdue development to me, but that aside, how do those here who are using Pentastar engines like them?  Have they been reliable? 

A lot of guys here yearn for the old Jeep I-6.  It is said to have been supremely reliable.  When was it dropped and, if you know, why?  Just curious. 

Brian, you're missing some detail regarding the new pentastar. They've all been fuel injected since their intro in the mid 90's in fwd chrysler products. The I6 was dropped around 2006 when the wrangler went from TJ to JK design. Most likely due to packaging. Similar deal in the grand cherokee around the same years. 

the last american car with a carburetor was in 1990.  the 4.0 I6 is a great motor although sort of hard to compare to a pentastar.  The pentastar make 110 more hp and is newer and more reliable given that the newest 4.0 is 14 years old.  For a used car the 4.0 is a great choice.  reliable, strong and torquey.  Thirsty though.

On 12/12/2017 at 10:12 AM, BrianBM said:

Boatdrinks, we have to sign you up as a more frequent visitor to this Forum.  I have lots of questions, you have answers.

haha I'll do my best

On 12/12/2017 at 10:12 AM, BrianBM said: