Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
IsmailG

Smoked trout

12 posts in this topic

Learned from my mistakes when I smoked salmon, second go around this time with steelhead. Brined overnight in water/kosher salt/ brown sugar/black pepper/garlic powder/onion powder/ ginger powder/ chilli powder. Got a really nice pellicle by leaving it outside to dry on a cold windy day, smoked for 2 hours on the charcoal brinkmann. Came out great, wish I had more than 1 fish!

IMG_20171207_105753.jpg

Posted (edited)

Ish that looks great, I am salivating right now no BS. I recently got a Char Grill with the side box smoker and this Pic makes me want to do something this weekend on it

Edited by richie c

I couldn't find my thermometer so was going by the probably highly innacurate thermometer on the grill itself which was reading around 200, probably was closer to around 150-170 though

Looks good.  I do similar but ditch the chili and go with lemon, garlic and bay. 

Put a hunk on a cracker with some blue cheese and if you can find it, hot pepper jelly, it's a crazy good combo.  Pinkies up!

5 hours ago, JaseB said:

Looks good.  I do similar but ditch the chili and go with lemon, garlic and bay. 

Put a hunk on a cracker with some blue cheese and if you can find it, hot pepper jelly, it's a crazy good combo.  Pinkies up!

Is the pepper jelly hot and sweet?

however you like it, easy to make. use less hot peppers if you want it milder.

Hot Pepper Jelly (15 small jars)

3 large bell peppers, cut and seeded

12 Hot peppers, 3-4” long (not seeded)

1/3 cup water

3 cups cider vinegar

5 lbs sugar

2 bottles Certo (2 full packages)

green or red food coloring

Pulverize pepper with water in blender. Combine with vinegar and sugar in very large pot. Bring to a boil and boil 15 minutes (stirring constantly). Remove from heat; skim; add Certo. Stir well and add food coloring to suit. Pour in sterile jars; cool and seal with paraffin or lids.

That's about the right amount of time I use. I like steelhead better than salmon. It's just a better tasting fish and you really don't need to keep it in the brine for any long periods, or not even brine, just a season rub. I like to smoke at about 170ish to an internal of 155. I also use pecan chips straight or mixed with apple.

That looks awesome.  I wanted to smoke some eels for xmas but my guy hasnt gotten them in yet and i wont be able to do them in time at this point