artieboy

kayak access

11 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

First off let me say that i hope my question does fall into the" site burning" category if so I apologize.

Does anyone know if it is legal to launch a kayak from the beach in the atlantic highlands at the end of 1st street to the left of the tackle shop

and diner. there is a dirt parking lot there that gives access to the water. Thanks

I don't kayak, I want to get into it but with a baby on the way its probably something that's gonna have to wait until '19, but I don't see why you couldn't. I've never heard of it being illegal to launch a kayak at any publicly open beach area.

You can launch anywhere you can get to. Unless it's posted saying you can't. I've never had an issue with someone saying I couldn't. Just look like you've done it before and no one will question it

Yes you may launch there, just confirm that parking, it may be reserved for ferry passengers only. I've launched there often, try and avoid beaching at full low tide, its a bear to get the yak across a few hundred yards of beach and up the wall after a long day on the water. Good luck.

Additionally be very wary of the boats coming in and out of the marina. 

A party boat that I thought was was going in took a hard right and attempted to run me over - in a bright yellow yak with an orange safety flag in the middle of the day

48 mins ago, Sudsy said:

A party boat that I thought was was going in took a hard right and attempted to run me over - in a bright yellow yak with an orange safety flag in the middle of the day

you think it was on purpose?

years back when i owned a boat, was in the bay behind the coast guard station on sandy hook anchored when a party boat captain used his boat to push me out of the way so he could

set up there. couldn't believe the nerve of that sob.

No, he was moving fast, probably not paying attention

And it was back before yaks were very popular

Amazing how quickly you can get a kayak up on plane when you're motivated

Edited by Sudsy

3 hours ago, Sudsy said:

I bet Sparky was manning the wheel of the party boat

On 12/7/2017 at 5:20 PM, artieboy said:

you think it was on purpose?

years back when i owned a boat, was in the bay behind the coast guard station on sandy hook anchored when a party boat captain used his boat to push me out of the way so he could

set up there. couldn't believe the nerve of that sob.

Artie the parking lots are for the Commuters. M thru F you could get a ticket.There is a safer access location for that beach. When you get passed 15+ posts you will be able to receive & send PM's.  aka Personal Messages.    

Welcome Aboard to SOL You will like it here.  PM me when you can.  RJ

10 hours ago, RJ said:

Artie the parking lots are for the Commuters. M thru F you could get a ticket.There is a safer access location for that beach. When you get passed 15+ posts you will be able to receive & send PM's.  aka Personal Messages.    

Welcome Aboard to SOL You will like it here.  PM me when you can.  RJ

thanks I'll start working at hitting 15.