Jetex2801

Fuji titanium frame defect? “Legend surf”

21 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Just ordered  a new 2016 legend surf and noticed a blurr? on the frame of the tip top, is it from the factory or did something happen to it later down the line? It almost looks like someone took a lighter to it. Basically is it worth shipping it back to the retailer for an exhchange or is it just a cosmetic issue with no real performance being affected.

13E45EAF-9502-48D0-94C2-F0123EABBF8D.thumb.jpeg.856752fdf398e1a85d35b5db44379be4.jpeg

6B4D6CCA-64F5-457D-9F24-4663772AA203.thumb.jpeg.812937372e03a36940c78532f0f3c675.jpeg

Edited by Jetex2801

Posted (edited)

that looks like it could be from the frame being welded,if it has carbon on it and rubs off on your fingers,it would be from a lighter if it's the metal that's discolored,it's from welding.

I don't see how any performance would be affected.

just my $1.50.

HH

Edited by Roddy

I seem to recall that the titanium tip tops aren't all titanium.  The braces (or the tube??) are stainless.  There was a thread a while back in the rod builders forum where someone noticed some corrosion on the titanium tip and wondered why.

Titanium is very difficult to weld with other metals so it wouldn’t save any money to make them mixed with SS. 

Titanium does turn purpley blue when heated to high temps. Perhaps they use a hot glue to attach the tips but it shouldn’t  need to be heated hot enough to get the discoloration. 

I would call St. Croix. For that kind of money you want perfection. 

Thanks for the input guys, I think I'll call st croix just to see their response I'll most likely just fish it and see if anything happens. 

21 hours ago, Jetex2801 said:

Just ordered  a new 2016 legend surf and noticed a blurr? on the frame of the tip top, is it from the factory or did something happen to it later down the line? It almost looks like someone took a lighter to it. Basically is it worth shipping it back to the retailer for an exhchange or is it just a cosmetic issue with no real performance being affected.

13E45EAF-9502-48D0-94C2-F0123EABBF8D.thumb.jpeg.856752fdf398e1a85d35b5db44379be4.jpeg

6B4D6CCA-64F5-457D-9F24-4663772AA203.thumb.jpeg.812937372e03a36940c78532f0f3c675.jpeg

I would keep it but definitely let the manufacture know.

Posted (edited)

This is a bit off topic but pertains to torzites.

I have a few rods with them totaling about 30 guides.  And I've found the consistency in which the rings are are set in place is drastically different.

On example pertaining to the tips.  Some are like every other rod.  And on some the ring protrudes well beyond the frame.  It looks like a wider ceramic ring....

Enough that I have to worry about it hitting my windshield.....while the others...no matter the angle...only the frame would touch the glass (if that makes sense)

If that guide came that way from fuji.....did they put it on in the dark or something?  How could someone not notice that considering they're staring right at it.

looks almost like some ass hat at a tackle shop took a bic to it just to be a clown.

Saw some idiot at walmart with his 4 year old testing the flex of 5 rods.....Snapped every one of them.....Didn't like when I called him a irresponsible fool in front of his kid.  :)

Edited by scoobydoo

i dont really see how that would happen making the tip or installing it. but obviously it could. i have gotten distracted when using the torch to heat up tip cement and burnt stuff, usually myself though. either way both companies are very good and im sure you can get this resolved.

2 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

This is a bit off topic but pertains to torzites.

I have a few rods with them totaling about 30 guides.  And I've found the consistency in which the rings are are set in place is drastically different.

On example pertaining to the tips.  Some are like every other rod.  And on some the ring protrudes well beyond the frame.  It looks like a wider ceramic ring....

Enough that I have to worry about it hitting my windshield.....while the others...no matter the angle...only the frame would touch the glass (if that makes sense)

If that guide came that way from fuji.....did they put it on in the dark or something?  How could someone not notice that considering they're staring right at it.

Regarding the tip ring issue you have. Some of them are now made the way so that your line is on the ceramic ring at any angle and your line could never touch the frame. I understand your concern about it being more exposed but I know they do have a tip like that by design

Posted (edited)

7 mins ago, SurffisherMike said:

Regarding the tip ring issue you have. Some of them are now made the way so that your line is on the ceramic ring at any angle and your line could never touch the frame. I understand your concern about it being more exposed but I know they do have a tip like that by design

Thanks Mike!  Appreciate it!

Makes sense as It didn't look like they just missed the bead or something..It really looked like a different ring design.  It's mainly somthing I have to pay attention to now...vs a true concern.  Worse case I'll get a booty for the tip on my 9 footers.  lol  (just one more thing to lose in my car)

Edited by scoobydoo

used to do that with my last truck. to get the 11' rods inside the tips would be right up against the windshield. just let a hand towel on the dash and would slide them into it

2 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

looks almost like some ass hat at a tackle shop took a bic to it just to be a clown.

Saw some idiot at walmart with his 4 year old testing the flex of 5 rods.....Snapped every one of them.....Didn't like when I called him a irresponsible fool in front of his kid.  :)

This is what I'm mostly concerned about lol doesn't seem like an issue, gave the rod a workout today but it's unsightly for what one of these legends retail 

23 hours ago, buz23 said:

I seem to recall that the titanium tip tops aren't all titanium.  The braces (or the tube??) are stainless.  There was a thread a while back in the rod builders forum where someone noticed some corrosion on the titanium tip and wondered why.

Would be very strange and isolated corrosion for a "new" rod