Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mike3dr

ARUBA

12 posts in this topic

Taking the family to Aruba in Jan., I've never took a rod before but I have a 6.5-7 foot travel rod.  Is it worth the hassle to bring it with me?  I'm staying on the high rise side of the island.  Anybody fish there?  What lures, where?  Thanks  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes sir!  I own timeshare at the Playa linda.  You can fish off the pier between the Playa linda and the holiday in but you have to go early in the morning.  There’s tarpon that hang around there.  Barracuda and jacks on last masters, recommende wire leaders though.  You can also fish off the jetty at the aruba Phoenix (very good) but honestly before all the boat traffic.  Guy used a jig head and a gulp shrim and landed a nice snook.  Don’t bother Fishing in front of the hotels there are nets out there and the bigger fish can’t get in.  Both spots are on the same path where the hi rise hotels are.  Where are you staying?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mike3dr said:

Taking the family to Aruba in Jan., I've never took a rod before but I have a 6.5-7 foot travel rod.  Is it worth the hassle to bring it with me?  I'm staying on the high rise side of the island.  Anybody fish there?  What lures, where?  Thanks  

What kinda travel rod you using?  I would like to take a trip to Florida or some where warm but not sure if it's possible flying with a 1 piece 6' - 7' rod?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, apagano80 said:

Yes sir!  I own timeshare at the Playa linda.  You can fish off the pier between the Playa linda and the holiday in but you have to go early in the morning.  There’s tarpon that hang around there.  Barracuda and jacks on last masters, recommende wire leaders though.  You can also fish off the jetty at the aruba Phoenix (very good) but honestly before all the boat traffic.  Guy used a jig head and a gulp shrim and landed a nice snook.  Don’t bother Fishing in front of the hotels there are nets out there and the bigger fish can’t get in.  Both spots are on the same path where the hi rise hotels are.  Where are you staying?

Playa Linda

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice!  I own at the Playa Linda Easter week.  Been going to Aruba for 20 years.  As soon as you walk on the beach the pier is to the right of you.  I use a 3 piece 7’ tsunami travel rod.  Fits right in my suit case.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You will Love the island.  All the restaurants are awesome.  Places to definitely go to are

 

Azzurro (which is in the Playa Linda)

 

Hostaria D’Vittorio a must.  He’s a good friend of mine.  

 

El Groucho Steakhouse (awesome place)

 

Pelican Pier which is the pier I told you to fish off of.  It’s nothing fancy but food is good and the kids can feed the fish at night off the pier.  You will see some cool fish surface to eat the dinner rolls.

 

you are staying st the best place in Aruba.  Playa Linda is dead smack in the middle of the hi rise hotels.  You have everything right in front of you.  You will need a cab to El Groucho.  It’s only 10 mins away if that.  Island is safe no one will haggle you feel free to walk at night.  Safest place to go, which is why I only go to Aruba.  It’s home away from home for me.  If you like to gamble a little bit you can play at the Hyatt or the Marriott but all I can say is if you gonup a couple hundred bucks take your money and save it for another night.  Take it in small amounts.  I’ve got crushed there a few times thinking just another couple hundred more and before you know it I was down 2k lol.  Enjoy it and let me know what you think when you get back.  It’s the best place and fish every morning get up and get out you won’t be disappointed.  I hooked up into a tarpon off that pier formlike 3 mins, jumped a few times and shook the hook but it was fun.  Enjoy man, I love aruba so much. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, apagano80 said:

You will Love the island.  All the restaurants are awesome.  Places to definitely go to are

 

Azzurro (which is in the Playa Linda)

 

Hostaria D’Vittorio a must.  He’s a good friend of mine.  

 

El Groucho Steakhouse (awesome place)

 

Pelican Pier which is the pier I told you to fish off of.  It’s nothing fancy but food is good and the kids can feed the fish at night off the pier.  You will see some cool fish surface to eat the dinner rolls.

 

you are staying st the best place in Aruba.  Playa Linda is dead smack in the middle of the hi rise hotels.  You have everything right in front of you.  You will need a cab to El Groucho.  It’s only 10 mins away if that.  Island is safe no one will haggle you feel free to walk at night.  Safest place to go, which is why I only go to Aruba.  It’s home away from home for me.  If you like to gamble a little bit you can play at the Hyatt or the Marriott but all I can say is if you gonup a couple hundred bucks take your money and save it for another night.  Take it in small amounts.  I’ve got crushed there a few times thinking just another couple hundred more and before you know it I was down 2k lol.  Enjoy it and let me know what you think when you get back.  It’s the best place and fish every morning get up and get out you won’t be disappointed.  I hooked up into a tarpon off that pier formlike 3 mins, jumped a few times and shook the hook but it was fun.  Enjoy man, I love aruba so much. 

I have a 7 ft travel rod, Do I need a 9?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been going to Aruba in April for as long as I can remember. Done some surf fishing on eagle beach and caught hound fish, jacks, barracuda, and seen some snook cruising the beach as well. My favorite for catching different species is the 7/8 oz. epoxy jigs. bone seemed to be a pretty universal color but they would hit other things as well. If you're interested in a charter I would recommend Capt. Laurenz Van Mook from Fly Fishing Aruba. He does it all and never disappoints. I've done jigging trips with him targeting tunas and what he called "el capitan" which to me looked like jumbo red snapper. Found some fish schooling on bait on the surface and casted on them for awhile before returning to jigging by the tankers. Would highly recommend him. Other word of advice is to bring what you think you need and then some. Buying tackle on the island is expensive and there are few places around that carry tackle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.