Reed422

Paella or Risotto?

82 posts in this topic

56 mins ago, buckmaster said:

that is how I always had it in Florence and Chianti.   

If you can't decide between Paella and Risotto have risotto Milanese, both have saffron. 

can I just say I hate you now. thanks :th:

seriously, my wife went two years ago and I am very jelly.

42 mins ago, HugeDinghy said:

death row meal would make a good thread.

if its your death, I'd buy you dinner :D

good idea though :th:

1 hour ago, buckmaster said:

Sort of an apples and oranges discussion, paella is a dish that you don't touch once you start cooking with the intention of very slightly burning the rice on the bottom, where risotto is a dish you stir continuously and if one little speck of onions or rice are burnt it goes in the garbage.  I love both, have eaten both a lot in their homeland...but am partial to risotto particularly at home even if it means standing over a copper pot for 45 minutes.    

Key to risotto often overlooked is to start with a very hot copper pan/pot...add onions..when the onions are translucent..then the rice goes in....you then continue to toast the rice in hot oil and onions until it is on the verge of the oil disappearing or the rice burning, then you add the first scoop of hot stock.  That is the only traditional start to making risotto. 

For all y'all who fish with bait an catch skates...I will say that skate risotto finished with Vin Santo is one of the best things on the planet.  After that I would go with crab and asparagus risotto,  and risotto Milanese with a nice wild boar chop grilled over wood, that is how I always had it in Florence and Chianti.   

If you can't decide between Paella and Risotto have risotto Milanese, both have saffron. 

:drool:

19 mins ago, Aquacide said:

if its your death, I'd buy you dinner :D

good idea though :th:

neither of your fathers would like to hear you talk like that