dbjpb

Best kayak for dealing with wind

26 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I need to find a kayak that is good with dealing with the wind.  I am 6 foot 1 and 200lbs. 30 inch inseam and 56 years old. The lighter the better. Prefer to paddle. ACK recommended tarpon 160.  Suggestions welcome.Thanks for your help .

Edited by dbjpb
Typo

Posted (edited)

What exactly does the C-14 do that you hate so much Joe, just tracking badly in a crosswind? Have you considered adding a rudder? What's your thoughts on the Swell Scupper? It excites me, low profile and fast.  Supposedly they're going to start delivering this winter.

There's a Scupper Classic in the BST, you could buy it just to see if you like that style, and sell it for what you bought it for. If it had a tankwell I'd have snapped it up.

Edited by gellfex

The Tarpon 160 is super heavy. They suggest it because it is long and not too wide. 

IMO, the best kayak at paddling in wind will be the best kayak at paddling. Wind is just resistance.

Kaskazi (Marlin or Dorado), then Stealth, then Scupper Pro. There are a few other rotomold boats out there that are 26" or less in width and 14' or longer. But I never owned one, so I can't be certain about their ability. 

As buddha suggested, the mirage drive is always an option. I get that you like paddling - I do too - which is why you should look at the above boats. 

Kaskazi also makes a kayak called the Breeze AR which is just 38 pounds and 14-foot long. It would take some tweaking to make it into a good fishing kayak, but I know the owner of Kaskazi would be willing to do what you need. And I believe it is only $1,500. 

3 hours ago, gellfex said:

What exactly does the C-14 do that you hate so much Joe, just tracking badly in a crosswind? Have you considered adding a rudder? What's your thoughts on the Swell Scupper? It excites me, low profile and fast.  Supposedly they're going to start delivering this winter.

There's a Scupper Classic in the BST, you could buy it just to see if you like that style, and sell it for what you bought it for. If it had a tankwell I'd have snapped it up.

Not having a tankwell shouldn't stop you. Just put your gear inside the rear hatch. It's actually better because the weight is down low inside, instead of perched up high in the tankwell. Increases stability. 

4 mins ago, kross57 said:

As buddha suggested, the mirage drive is always an option. I get that you like paddling - I do too - which is why you should look at the above boats. 

Half the days we were out this year was windy af and I can't imagine how someone could comfortably fish from a paddle yak w/o anchoring. It sucked even with the mirage drive, but at least I can face into the wind and be stationary. I don't troll much so I guess it's a different game out front...but if you're trying to hold position jigging/casting how do you do it without some kind of pedal system? One handed paddling? I've actually seen that done but not in heavy winds...

Just now, buddha162 said:

Half the days we were out this year was windy af and I can't imagine how someone could comfortably fish from a paddle yak w/o anchoring. It sucked even with the mirage drive, but at least I can face into the wind and be stationary. I don't troll much so I guess it's a different game out front...but if you're trying to hold position jigging/casting how do you do it without some kind of pedal system? One handed paddling? I've actually seen that done but not in heavy winds...

Yes, its all in how you will use it. I rarely stop moving and I almost never do bottom fishing, I want a boat that gets me from point a to b in a hurry, and one that I can troll with all day. I look at all these fat USA barges and think, wtf? 

One advantage to a paddle boat - the rudder is foot controlled. I can adjust it as I am casting, reeling or fighting a fish. The Hobie? Uh uh. I end up fighting fish over my shoulder half the time.   

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, buddha162 said:

I can't imagine how someone could comfortably fish from a paddle yak w/o anchorin hig.

C'mon, you do realize 99% of porgy and tog are caught by powerboats at anchor? Great that you can hold position by pedaling but it is far from the only way to fish. I anchor all the time for those species, it's no big deal. It's probably way more relaxing jigging for Porgy without worrying about wind and tide. 

Ross, I don't think I can do without a crate. I'm too used to it for storing rods, holding up my light/flag pole, and holding my boxes & gear. But it looks like both Swell and Neimer himself are releasing new Scuppers this winter.

Edited by gellfex

23 mins ago, gellfex said:

C'mon, you do realize 99% of porgy and tog are caught by powerboats at anchor? Great that you can hold position by pedaling but it is far from the only way to fish. I anchor all the time for those species, it's no big deal. It's probably way more relaxing jigging for Porgy without worrying about wind and tide. 

Lol ofc I realize that boats anchor for porgy and tog, they have no other choice do they? And I don't think pedaling is the only way to fish, I said it's either that or anchoring...which seems to be the case. I much rather hold position, jig, pedal a few feet, repeat than be tied to an anchor...but to each their own. Anchoring might be more relaxing but it's not more productive for the way I porgy fish...only a few in a school will take a crankbait (generally the largest ones!), after that I wiggle around for the next school. When it's really honking during tog season, I've wished for an anchor. Alas, no easy anchor trolley setup for the inflatable. I've also wished for an anchor when I'm close to an island and just want to take a nap lol. 

If I owned a boat I would definitely have some kind of trolling motor setup in the bow. The new ones with spot lock...I don't know why more boats don't have it for the kind of fishing done around here. 

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, gellfex said:

Ross, I don't think I can do without a crate. I'm too used to it for storing rods, holding up my light/flag pole, and holding my boxes & gear. But it looks like both Swell and Neimer himself are releasing new Scuppers this winter.

The best thing I ever did was to stop using a crate. With a crate, all your gear is exposed to splashing, it screws up the kayak stability, and you certainly don't need it for rod storage or mounting a flag. I have three flushmounts on my Marlin. Never saw the need for more than 3 rods. usually I'm ok with 2. But ram mounts and all the other mounts let you store as many as you want above deck. And mounting a flag is simple. Although I never saw a reason for that either. Plus, both the Stealth and Scupper Pro have tank wells!  

You seem to want to find some reason for not getting one of those boats. You keep talking yourself out of getting one. But, IMO, they are as good (and probably much better) than whatever you are waiting for from Swell or Neimer. The Kaskazi and Stealth are certainly faster. Safer too, because of the hull sectioning. And VERY stable. They certainly have flaws (every kayak does) but if you want to step up from the Caribbean, these are way better kayaks.   

The point I was making is about "in the cockpit" storage. All 3 kayaks have a large center hatch where I put my water, the tackle I use during an outing, and a few odds and ends. But that's it. No cupholder, no side pockets.  It's an adjustment. As far as main storage, the rear hatch on my Kaskazi is cavernous. So is the front hatch on a Scupper Pro, and they have either a tankwell or a huge rear hatch.     

Edited by kross57

Thanks for all the feedback.  Just to clarify.  I don't anchor or bottom fish. I mostly troll. Normally fish for blue fish  and strippers in the spring and fall.

No tog or porgy or fluking for me.  I rarely use a crate anymore. Normally just bring a few plugs  and 1 rod with minimal gear. Maybe a lip gripper, knife,

hook remover, vhf radio.   I fish in the bay in the spring and the ocean in the fall.  Thanks again for all the feedback. 

Posted (edited)

Not lightweight but the pedal/ paddle/sail revo 16 could get you on those strippers. Lol. Hurricane and Epic sell lightweight sot's.

Screenshot_2017-12-06-07-43-38-1.png

Edited by cheech
Addition

I wouldn’t write off the older WS 160i, it’s 28 inches wide and much less volume than the current 160. It’s missing the fancy seat that everybody now wants, but it keeps your butt closer to the water.  It’s wet in a chop but it paddles so well that I’ll probably keep mine forever.