chicky

Highlander or Pilot

32 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, chicky said:

How was the pricing?

Leased for $385 month, same as the pilot. 1st month and 1K down + dmv. They picked up what I owed on the pilot. Last 2 months, $400 turn in and the taxes. Sticker 42k

3 hours ago, RU fishin' said:

I have a 2005 Pilot & have put 165,000+ miles on it, change the oil & never a problem.

I have 2004 Pilot with close to 190k miles on it. It's actually in the shop as we speak. Break line rusted through and last time I tried to drive it I had little to no breaks lol. Pulled right back in the driveway and put the emergency breaks on. Other than that, it's been a great truck. It's been relegated to towing the boat and fishing/clamming related activities but it still serves its purpose well. Obviously a lot has changed with the new Pilot models since 2004. It's funny that even back in 2004 my decision was between the Pilot and Highlander, and I went with the Pilot for the roomier interior plus I preferred the way it drove. 

4 hours ago, Eric_S said:

I have 2004 Pilot with close to 190k miles on it. It's actually in the shop as we speak. Break line rusted through and last time I tried to drive it I had little to no breaks lol. Pulled right back in the driveway and put the emergency breaks on. Other than that, it's been a great truck. It's been relegated to towing the boat and fishing/clamming related activities but it still serves its purpose well. Obviously a lot has changed with the new Pilot models since 2004. It's funny that even back in 2004 my decision was between the Pilot and Highlander, and I went with the Pilot for the roomier interior plus I preferred the way it drove. 

Good to hear that you’re fixing it, we have a long road to Delaware for our tog adventure trip coming soon. 

I did some extensive research well over a month and test drives of both the 2017 Highlander and pilot. Part of my research was speaking directly with owners, people in parking lots, filling up with gas, friends relatives etc asking what they liked and disliked, any issues  and most importantly would they buy again**. I ruled out the truck frame based 4runner, nice suv but for on the road driving I typically do, in snow and dry roads it just didn't make sense for me personally. The 4runner is a firm and truck like. I do not live in the city. Both the highlander and pilot have an equal or more room than the 4Runner. The highlander had the same towing capacity. The highlander had much better visibility

Instead I focused on the pilot and Highlander. The pilot for me was big & bloaty, handling was funny and lacked many of the safety and up grade features of a stock Highlander XLE. 

READ: you had to pay more for the pilot EXL to start with ( not sure why)  and then add $$$$ for the features that came with the Highlander.

Further researched the pilot, sales of the new pilot as well as the truck like ridgeline have been softer than expected according to honda .  Pilots are being purchased mostly by women looking for an alternative to a minivan. The pilot reliability has also come into question with some bugs. Interior wise to me it looked too "fake and lots of plastic", the 9 sped transmission is also coming under fire, vibration issues, could be a recall at some point. The old pilots 2005-2015 are much better vehicles

I eventually purchased a left over 2017 new Highlander, there is no change with a new 2018 model. I negotiated down almost 7000 and it still comes with 2 year roadside and all maintenance included.  I know what you are thinking how much maintenance could be needed. Well if you factor in synthetic oil changes it can add up pretty quickly. I also like the idea of getting the car in front of the dealer for anything that might pop up. I can honestly say one of the best cars I have ever owned,  space if very usable, interior is sharp, seats comfortable and supportive and the controls, info system is intuitive and easy to use.I pulled my boat (19 foot center console) to its winter storage  and hardly knew I was towing anything.  The highlander also has a very deceptive amount of room on the inside, its cavernous.

There have numerous articles and surveys of the best cars on the road today, cars that will go 200,000 miles, cost of ownership,  after the sale durability, longevity and highest trade in value...Out of these top 15 cars, 9 of them are from the toyota family and only one is a honda ( CRV), Hyundai/Kia represent 2...Subaru had 2 .

** many people I spoke to had zero concerns with the highlander and many were on their 3rd highlander from previous models purchased- very loyal.  Pilot customers had minor electrical issues, window not closing correctly and overall rattles in the interior, some exHonda owners complained of the cost of the serpentine belt that was pretty mandatory at 90K replacement

Bottom line two thumbs upon the highlander in my opinion

22528082_10154757056521750_559358508756453652_n.jpg

Edited by iphish

my mother has a pilot and I drove it for a weekend. only real feedback I have is the thing has zero get up and go......even with that eco thing off. have to damn near floor it to merge into traffic. took some getting used to.

12 mins ago, HugeDinghy said:

my mother has a pilot and I drove it for a weekend. only real feedback I have is the thing has zero get up and go......even with that eco thing off. have to damn near floor it to merge into traffic. took some getting used to.

I found the same, couldn't get out of its own way plus its bulky. The highlander was a little  better 

To your post above they are refered to as crossovers, they have unibody construction/frames,. The highlander sits a bit lower than its truck frame counter 4runner/sequoia and they handle a bit more car like. At 6' 4" plenty of head and leg room and I don't feel like Im sitting on the ground and yet Im not climbing up into something , like my previous sequoia

I think an SUV has to have 4 wheel drive and at least 7.5 inches of clearance. if you cant drive it on a beach, it aint a SUV.

to me anyway.

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 5:52 PM, dena said:

4Runner>Pilot>Highlander.

4runner is on the frame of a Tacoma.  Highlander, corolla.  If she will be off-roading then go with the 4runner.  Otherwise, the ride is better on the Highlander.  Also, standard 3rd row seating that folds down.  4Runner looks better, but for my wife, the practicality of the highlander is/was a clear winner, going on 3 years now.

7 hours ago, iphish said:

I did some extensive research well over a month and test drives of both the 2017 Highlander and pilot. Part of my research was speaking directly with owners, people in parking lots, filling up with gas, friends relatives etc asking what they liked and disliked, any issues  and most importantly would they buy again**. I ruled out the truck frame based 4runner, nice suv but for on the road driving I typically do, in snow and dry roads it just didn't make sense for me personally. The 4runner is a firm and truck like. I do not live in the city. Both the highlander and pilot have an equal or more room than the 4Runner. The highlander had the same towing capacity. The highlander had much better visibility

Instead I focused on the pilot and Highlander. The pilot for me was big & bloaty, handling was funny and lacked many of the safety and up grade features of a stock Highlander XLE. 

READ: you had to pay more for the pilot EXL to start with ( not sure why)  and then add $$$$ for the features that came with the Highlander.

Further researched the pilot, sales of the new pilot as well as the truck like ridgeline have been softer than expected according to honda .  Pilots are being purchased mostly by women looking for an alternative to a minivan. The pilot reliability has also come into question with some bugs. Interior wise to me it looked too "fake and lots of plastic", the 9 sped transmission is also coming under fire, vibration issues, could be a recall at some point. The old pilots 2005-2015 are much better vehicles

I eventually purchased a left over 2017 new Highlander, there is no change with a new 2018 model. I negotiated down almost 7000 and it still comes with 2 year roadside and all maintenance included.  I know what you are thinking how much maintenance could be needed. Well if you factor in synthetic oil changes it can add up pretty quickly. I also like the idea of getting the car in front of the dealer for anything that might pop up. I can honestly say one of the best cars I have ever owned,  space if very usable, interior is sharp, seats comfortable and supportive and the controls, info system is intuitive and easy to use.I pulled my boat (19 foot center console) to its winter storage  and hardly knew I was towing anything.  The highlander also has a very deceptive amount of room on the inside, its cavernous.

There have numerous articles and surveys of the best cars on the road today, cars that will go 200,000 miles, cost of ownership,  after the sale durability, longevity and highest trade in value...Out of these top 15 cars, 9 of them are from the toyota family and only one is a honda ( CRV), Hyundai/Kia represent 2...Subaru had 2 .

** many people I spoke to had zero concerns with the highlander and many were on their 3rd highlander from previous models purchased- very loyal.  Pilot customers had minor electrical issues, window not closing correctly and overall rattles in the interior, some exHonda owners complained of the cost of the serpentine belt that was pretty mandatory at 90K replacement

Bottom line two thumbs upon the highlander in my opinion

22528082_10154757056521750_559358508756453652_n.jpg

Well done. Do you have a donut sticker on it tho?

21 hours ago, HugeDinghy said:

that's surprising, my wife has a '13 pilot and the thing goes like a raped ape... on the highway 85 feels like 55 which I find impressive because it's a big box of a vehicle...