Big Will

Is it possible to throw lighter weights further with conventional?

9 posts in this topic

Can smaller plugs and bucktails be thrown further with a conventional paired with the right rod? Or is a spinner better for this application? I’m not talking real light just down to 3/4 oz. I’ve never thrown less than 3 oz with conventional because I’ve never had a light conventional rod. What would be the difference in distance if using the right technique? 

My vote is spinning with light braided line and long stroked spool.....the inexpensive daiwa whisker ss1300 qualifies... I'm not aware of a less expensive compact reel at 9oz with a longer (or as long) spool stroke.

Most of the distance advantage that conventional reels once claimed has disappeared with the advent of braided line, IMHO. Furthermore, light plugs are limited in distance by the same low density that lets them wiggle so nicely in the water.  Stick with spinning, it makes life a lot easier. 

Thank you for the advice. I was looking and saw some conventional rods rated 3/4 to 3 oz so was wondering if it would be a good option for bucktailing and eeling off jetties. I will just stick to spinning as I had planned to and use conventional gear for the heavier stuff. I was just thinking it might be worth trying some day as I have heard talk of people using conventional for plugging. 

I do use conventional reels for plugging, but only with heavier plugs and tins; SS Little Necks, 2 oz. and up; tins from 1 1/2 oz or 1 oz and up.  Even there, I find myself gravitating towards spinning reels these days, it's more a matter of habit then anything else.  GSP lines are the biggest change to fishing since graphite appeared in rods, and IMHO GSP lines are the more important of the two.  

There is nothing wrong with either class of reel, per se.  If i were casting a chunk, I'd want my conventional reels. Probably I'd want a conventional (mine are a mix of old Newells, Penn 525 mags, and a Daiwa Lexa HD 400 which is wonderful) if I were tossing eels, live, rigged or plastic, or if I were fishing a heavy bucktail (2-4 oz.).  OTOH, casting a floating minnow for two hours on these reels and I'd give up fishing for a pogo stick and spend the night hopping in circles.  YMMV.

There are no absolutes in fishing. 

I'm comfortable down to 1 oz. With my round reels on 3/4-4 oz. rods. Small coventionals that may be competitive with a spinner throwing 3/4oz may not have the line capacity for beach plugging. Large lo pros like the Daiwa lexa and Shimano Tranx could be contenders, but are they baitcasters or conventionals?

8 hours ago, BrianBM said:

They have level winds, so they're baitcasters. 

I had that in mind when I posted this question. I was thinking of the tranx and Lexa for something like this but wouldn’t my penn 525 knobby mag be better since it can be adjusted more accurately? Or is there something I’m missing when it comes to those low profile baitcasters which I’ve never used before. 

You would want a very light spool, which implies a smaller reel.

Spinner is easier to use for weights like this