Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve in Mass

"Pacman" Style Small Engine Carburetor Adjustment Screw/Tool - RANT

25 posts in this topic

Yep. The epa doesn’t want you messing with the carburetor and putting more 2 cycle smoke in the air. 

13 hours ago, Maine Guide said:

Yep. The epa doesn’t want you messing with the carburetor and putting more 2 cycle smoke in the air. 

Well, I guess they accomplished that goal cause the saw dies when you attempt to run it at full throttle. Can't pollute the air at all if it ain't running, can it? ;)

Easy (and correct) fix is an eighth of a turn of the high throttle fuel mixture screw to make the mix less lean, but Noooooooooooooooooooooo.............they force you to take it to an authorized repair shop for that 15 second fix :rolleyes:

4 hours ago, Plug and teaser said:

Your rant is noted, we all agree.

Did it always die or is this a new condition ?

I used it 3 times on three different occasions, total running time was MAYBE 45 minutes, likely closer to 30. First two time there were no issues, last time it ran fine for about 5 cuts, and then the problem started. at first I thought the fuel was low, but it was 1/3 full, and I added more to fill it up, but the issue continued, even the couple of times I and others tried it over the following 2-3 days.

Try at your own risk.

Take a acid brush the metal handle tube style. Squeeze the open end down to fit over head of adjustment screw now solder the seam shut from end back an inch or so.

Re check fit on adjustment screw. Next is tricky you need to get the end tinned up a little and jamb it over the adjustment screw before the solder cools.

Posted (edited)

What if you drilled the existing screw and used a screw extractor to remove then replace with a philips or slotted head screw  or cut a slot in the head while you have it out ? 

Edited by connman

8 hours ago, connman said:

What if you drilled the existing screw and used a screw extractor to remove then replace with a philips or slotted head screw  or cut a slot in the head while you have it out ? 

You do realize that the design of the chainsaw has the head of the adjustment screw about an inch and a half down a ~3/8" hole in the plastic shell casing of the saw, right? You need to take the chainsaw half apart to even get to it without the proper tool.

Don't know the specifics of your particular chainsaw but thought if you can reach the screw head with an Oem tool then you could probably reach with a drill bit too. 

The drill bit wouldn't be a problem, but a screw extractor would be. The hole is way too small and the screw too deep for any screw extractor that I have ever seen to reach it.

And the point is, why should I have to more or less hack up an almost brand new chainsaw to make a simple adjustment that normally takes about 30 seconds?

It is just plain stupid that the tool isn't more easily available.