"Pacman" Style Small Engine Carburetor Adjustment Screw/Tool - RANT

Rate this topic

Steve in Mass

Because the epa doesn't want you adjusting your carb and polluting the environment. It's obnoxious. I had to make a tool to adjust the carb on my backpack blower because the tool is impossible to find. They're only available from Briggs and you have to be a registered authorized dealer to get one. And then they cost like $500.

5 hours ago, chitala383 said:

Because the epa doesn't want you adjusting your carb and polluting the environment. It's obnoxious. I had to make a tool to adjust the carb on my backpack blower because the tool is impossible to find. They're only available from Briggs and you have to be a registered authorized dealer to get one. And then they cost like $500.

Do a search of "pacman carburetor" on feebay....$10.00. On amazon, "HIPA (Set of 8) Carburetor Tune-up Adjustment Tool for Most 2-Cycle Small Engine Including 21-Teeth & 7-Teeth Splined / Pac Man / Single D / Double D / Hexagon Socket"......$13.00 and it includes two sizes of pacman fittings.

Just imagine how happy you would be if you lost everything you have in life and then suddenly got it back
SOL Member #101

13 hours ago, chitala383 said:

Look online.....they are about $9 with right now free shipping.

Today I was at a very big power equipment supplier, sales, and service center. They have about every part you would ever want at least for the popular brands of small engines up to tractors.

But they ain't got that tool............ nor does the Home Depot rental departments that have techs that service the power equipment. How on earth can they service a carb without that tool? :huh:

5a2834835fc1f_carbtool.jpeg.68bd03f6d738a2a0244b03f5410b2f05.jpeg

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

"You can no longer be oppressed if you are not afraid anymore - Unknown"

SOL Member #174

1 hour ago, Steve in Mass said:

Look online.....they are about $9 with right now free shipping.

I was referring to the small D shaped tool I would need for mine, not the pacman style. I just assumed your rant was going to be about not by able to find the tool regardless of the shape /style.

19 hours ago, FEW3 said:

I just cut a groove with a Drexel. Usually doesn't cut too much of the casting

If you are talking the existing screw, you need to take half the chainsaw apart to even get to it.

The entire design is stupid, no reason to make it so complicated. What was wrong with a slot or Phillips head screw? :squid:

And chitala, this is $15 and has your 'D' style:

5a297161cc079_pacmantool.jpg.3bbfebde9a7723fd8f6c840450bac841.jpg5a297161cc079_pacmantool.jpg.3bbfebde9a7723fd8f6c840450bac841.jpg

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

SOL Member #174

5 hours ago, Steve in Mass said:

And chitala, this is $15 and has your 'D' style:

I've looked at those, that's not the right D. That one is the bigger D. Trust me, I've searched far and wide for the tool I needed, they're completely unavailable to the general public.

16 hours ago, chitala383 said:

I've looked at those, that's not the right D. That one is the bigger D. Trust me, I've searched far and wide for the tool I needed, they're completely unavailable to the general public.

That is why I am sorta hesitant to order the one I need on-line, as I am not sure if there are various sizes.

Couple of McGyver type work arounds I have found out.....one I was told, the other I thought of myself.

Get a few different types of crimpable wire connectors (the ones that have a plastic sleeve). Find one of the right diameter to fir the head of the screw, then you can bend part of it to sort of follow the contour. Place the other end on a wood dowel or something to make a"screwdriver" of sorts.

The other that I thought of myself would be to get some stiff rubber tubing (like automotive vacuum tubing) of the correct diameter to snugly fit over the head of the screw. Cut the needed length to get down into the access port, slip it on the screw, and you are good to go.........trick is to get the right diameter and have it pliable enough yet stiff enough to be able to push it onto the screw.

SOL Member #174

I tried the wire connector trick. Didn't work for me. The screws were frozen in kinda tight and the wire connector wouldn't hold. What did work for me was a small spring pin. I think it was like 1/16" or something around there. I was able to gently tap down the seam to fold the 2 ends flat and it fit perfectly. I then took an old paintbrush, cut the brush off, drilled a hole in the end and epoxied my new tool into place. I even went as far as staining and clear coating the handle when I was bored one night. Haha. I'll get a picture of my little diy tool when I get home tonight.

1 hour ago, chitala383 said:

I tried the wire connector trick. Didn't work for me. The screws were frozen in kinda tight and the wire connector wouldn't hold. What did work for me was a small spring pin. I think it was like 1/16" or something around there. I was able to gently tap down the seam to fold the 2 ends flat and it fit perfectly. I then took an old paintbrush, cut the brush off, drilled a hole in the end and epoxied my new tool into place. I even went as far as staining and clear coating the handle when I was bored one night. Haha. I'll get a picture of my little diy tool when I get home tonight.

Cool.....is great when you come up with a :idea: to solve a problem and it works out. :th:

More or less what I did for my paycheck for 20 years, and that habit carries over until today, and it is fun. :)

SOL Member #174