Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve in Mass

Vinyl Kitchen Flooring

58 posts in this topic

About 100 square feet, Very odd shape so lots of cuts and shapes and that rules out linoleum type. I don't want ceramic nor laminate. This will be a DIY.

I can do real vinyl tile with the mastic, would prefer that. First off, it is solid core, so you don't have the issues of the skin, the color, and then the vinyl where every little scratch leaves a divot that loses the color and comes up black. Secondly, it just adheres better.

Problem is all the stuff I see looks way too "industrial".

So I look at peel and stick, which has a bit better selection of patterns/styles, but not much. I could likely lay with the mastic added for better adhesion, but have the other issue noted above.

So, any suggestions? If I go with a peel and stick type tile, any specs (like thickness) I should look for? Is there a brand type that has a better/more durable top finish than another?

Thanks.

I bought the groutable peel and stick 2 years ago for my kitchen. The stuff has stayed down very well. I primed the floor before putting the tiles down. The grout is a little bit if a pain but not horrible. With the grout there is no way for water to get under the tile and loosen the glue. Look into it.

Just curious as to why no laminate? 

I have done a couple peel em and stick em floors and it is easy to do. 

14 hours ago, i07nyc said:

I bought the groutable peel and stick 2 years ago for my kitchen. The stuff has stayed down very well. I primed the floor before putting the tiles down. The grout is a little bit if a pain but not horrible. With the grout there is no way for water to get under the tile and loosen the glue. Look into it.

Yeah, though the grout as you said is a minor pain. How has the grout held up? I am afraid it would get "dirty" in a kitchen real fast.

I used a medium grey grout, if I remember I think it was platinum. I sealed it and have had no problems. 

17 hours ago, hwsmike said:

Is this pattern even made anymore? There are much more stylish, ahem...up to date tiles these days. :dismay:

16 hours ago, FEW3 said:

What's the budget for materials?. 

Don't want to sound insulting, but that pattern is 80's

Yeah, well the house is from the 30's and the sleek contemporary stuff they put out now just would be out of place with the house design and decor.

"There are much more stylish, ahem...up to date tiles these days"

Would you like to post some examples of what you are speaking of?

People still buy vinyl?  You could probably just get an inexpensive laminate and have it installed as a floating floor for like $3/sq foot or less.  Put it right on top of that vinyl for a fresh look.  Whats on the existing floor?  You can't put vinyl on top of vinyl and removing existing vinyl floor has to be a pain.  Why not float a laminate floor?

1 hour ago, Fly By Nite said:

Why not float a laminate floor?

Cause they too are ugly or not fitting in a kitchen for this house......

Steve,Look into vinyl plank flooring. Some clik n lok together, some stick together. but the allure company sold in the box stores is decent stuff. Its a floating vinyl that has peel and stick edges, and can go over an existing floor without the use of a padding. If you poke around the stores, or a little interwebs searching, I've seen these for about $1.25 foot in the past on clearance.

If ya want low budget stick downs....go to the dollar store...

A single sheet lino isnt as hard as most peeps think.  Grab some of the brown paper roll 3' wide ,and make a template. Theres usually an end from the roll that the stores markdown. Most of the  linos these days dont even require glue..