YeahiLuvDemStripaz

South Shore Surfcasting

11 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Anyone here have any good tips on fishing *the south shore? I've had great fall run action on the Sound this fall, but each time I've been out on the jettys on *the south shore... it's skunk city... no bunker, barely any few birds, and no splashes.  

Beach and Jetty access (especially after Labor Day) is really not a major issue on *the south shore and I've never seen cops try to hassle anyone. Just wondering if anyone has any good tips for the beach, which feels like it should be a money spot. 

Edited by TimS
Overly specific location removed - we don't discuss over specific locations here...please keep these type of questions as general as possible - that's the only way people will respond :-)

Everyone here is going to tell you to get out and fish. This is my first year in this sport and that sounds like a very general piece of advice but it is the best piece of advice. I am no where near the level of some people on this site so I try to learn the water I am fishing and research things that apply to what I find. take notes of things that are successful and things that are not. Look around you when people are around and take note of what the guys that know what they are doing are throwing. 

Just go down to any beach west of Moriches and look around .There's no cheat code 

Honestly speaking... I live on the South Shore and for me ..again for me.. piss poor.  I have had the majority of my action on the North Shore.

Word has it that early November surf at Captree and Fire Island inlet were producing.

I took a recon stroll on Saturday morning and only noticed a few googans ...  white buckets are always a dead giveaway.

I'm switching to sweet water for the rest of the winter 

Slack lines for me

Strictly a south shore guy. Four triggers for me for the past few weeks.

Change of tide, best on the backside.

First light to about 8 AM.

Last hour or so of daylight into dark.

If you find birds out of reach but fairly tight, there will be fish inside the birds. 

I have had success on all of the above but the fish are getting smaller every few days. Don't count on any more bluebird days. Plan on throwing your favorite sand eel imitations or a bucktails.

Good luck and tight lines.

I've been using my Arra 1083 paired up with a Diawa BG 4000 spooled w/14lb. test Fireline, hammering Dinks day & night all up and down the South Shore w/4inch shads. This should be enough info now get out and fish!!! FYI if the Herring get close to the Surf there is a very good chance some decent size fish could be on them.

On 12/5/2017 at 0:10 AM, YeahiLuvDemStripaz said:

Anyone here have any good tips on fishing *the south shore? I've had great fall run action on the Sound this fall, but each time I've been out on the jettys on *the south shore... it's skunk city... no bunker, barely any few birds, and no splashes.  

Beach and Jetty access (especially after Labor Day) is really not a major issue on *the south shore and I've never seen cops try to hassle anyone. Just wondering if anyone has any good tips for the beach, which feels like it should be a money spot. 

Just a little advice,  their is never a true money spot.  You should just love the sport ,and when you put the time in  you will under stand the money spot is not easy to find nor give away

10 hours ago, Fishingdude66 said:

Just a little advice,  their is never a true money spot.  You should just love the sport ,and when you put the time in  you will under stand the money spot is not easy to find nor give away

Agreed!! 

On 12/5/2017 at 0:10 AM, YeahiLuvDemStripaz said:

Hit the south shore yesterday mid afternoon because I saw Birds working hard while I was driving down the road. Grabbed the gear and went. Caught 5 in 45 min, nothing to write home about but tons of fun off of bucktails from the beach and Jetties. Last licks. Get out there! Just fish. 

1 hour ago, Cascade said:

Still plenty of fish in the suds, most are micros, rats and king rats but........

Yep, bring your light tackle and have some fun.

Besides a Bucktail I've been using a small minnow, probably about 4.5 inches in white. I have no clue who makes it but it looks like a bomber or a yo zuri. Slow retrieve got me 23 rats yesterday.