Wigeon

Ryan Shazier Injury

58 posts in this topic

9 mins ago, Wigeon said:

And  I’m not even going to address how stupid the rugby comparison is.

:dismay:

Rugby has nothing on Australian rules football.....you have to love the umpires.

refs.gif

Rodney Harrison during half time just eluded to the tragedy, he then when on to say "as a player seeing that happen to one of your brothers, you need to be thinking better technique, use your shoulders and wrap him up".

7 hours ago, Riverboat33 said:

Shazier had spinal stabilization surgery today.

Major loss for the Steeler defense.

But it was his fault for poor tackling technique, 22 guys flying around at full speed trying to knock each other down, it's not tackling practice.  The defense is trying to get to the ball carrier anyway they can, and the offense is trying to stop them.

Lucky they were not playing the PATS, Gronk would have speared him while he was helpless.

Having watched the video again and again and I really can not fault his tackling form, about all he did wrong was lower his head, but that is all it takes for something bad too happen. He kept his shoulders squared placing them into the other guy's numbers, head to the side and away from the receiver's body as much as possible, he didn't dive in either, instead he drove with his feet as he attempted to make the tackle by wrapping up the reciever.

If he had not gotten injured on that play, you could actually have said his form was pretty much what you want from a guy making an open field tackle. 

Regardless, Brain has a point in that analyzing the form, discussing the form, saying what he should have or shouldn't have done will not undo his injury. The man needs support and prayers at this point. 

38 mins ago, iphish said:

Rodney Harrison during half time just eluded to the tragedy, he then when on to say "as a player seeing that happen to one of your brothers, you need to be thinking better technique, use your shoulders and wrap him up".

The thing is, Shazier used his shoulders and attempted to wrap up.

The fact that he was injured on that tackle was purely a freak accident that occurred when all the right variables fell into place.

12 hours ago, Wigeon said:

And  I’m not even going to address how stupid the rugby comparison is.

:dismay:

That is a lucid and well thought out rejoinder which may have overloaded your cortex....When you catch your breath I expect to see more of your work in The Atlantic or perhaps The Economist in the coming months..

9 hours ago, Beastly Backlash said:

Having watched the video again and again and I really can not fault his tackling form, about all he did wrong was lower his head, but that is all it takes for something bad too happen. He kept his shoulders squared placing them into the other guy's numbers, head to the side and away from the receiver's body as much as possible, he didn't dive in either, instead he drove with his feet as he attempted to make the tackle by wrapping up the reciever.

If he had not gotten injured on that play, you could actually have said his form was pretty much what you want from a guy making an open field tackle. 

Regardless, Brain has a point in that analyzing the form, discussing the form, saying what he should have or shouldn't have done will not undo his injury. The man needs support and prayers at this point. 

You and I, as well as Romo and others must be watching too different video of the tragedy. He lowered his head & lead with the crown of his helmet and never got his arms wrapped around the receiver, watch at 17-21 second mark. Better technique to prevent injury of both parties is with the shoulder only.  It was a very violent game last monday night, more than usual. Very tragic for Shazier, hopefully he can recover enough to lead a normal life.

Edited by iphish

4 hours ago, iphish said:

You and I, as well as Romo and others must be watching too different video of the tragedy. He lowered his head & lead with the crown of his helmet and never got his arms wrapped around the receiver, watch at 17-21 second mark. Better technique to prevent injury of both parties is with the shoulder only.  It was a very violent game last monday night, more than usual. Very tragic for Shazier, hopefully he can recover enough to lead a normal life.

He never finished wraping up due to the injury.

All it takes in one fraction of a second to adjust your head's position improperly, unfortunatly in his case he had everything going right until he adjusted his head just a little too low (more then likely because he was bracing for the impact subconciously), but he was proceeding to make a form tackle using his shoulder to drive and arms to wrap up.

1 hour ago, Beastly Backlash said:

He never finished wraping up due to the injury.

All it takes in one fraction of a second to adjust your head's position improperly, unfortunatly in his case he had everything going right until he adjusted his head just a little too low (more then likely because he was bracing for the impact subconciously), but he was proceeding to make a form tackle using his shoulder to drive and arms to wrap up.

Not just his head but  led with his helmet crown a desired effect, he should have hit with his shoulders, first. It was a brutal violent game, lots of hard hit tackles to lame, injure and intimidate the other team. 

On 12/7/2017 at 4:10 PM, Beastly Backlash said:

I have been all for eliminating the equipment for a long while. With equipment, you have a false sense of security and you begin to use the equipment as protection and as weapons vs actually protecting yourself as you naturally would otherwise. 

Anyone that knows anything about concussions or brain micro trauma will tell you that helmets have little effect on prevention of concussions or brain micro trauma. 

I agree about the false sense of security.