Wigeon

Ryan Shazier Injury

63 posts in this topic

I don't know why, but those injuries have always creeped me out. I think it's the permanence of being paralyzed. Keep my fingers crossed for the best.

Posted (edited)

Just saw a clip on twitter of a trainer telling Tomlin “He has no feeling in his lower body”, you can read his lips clearly.

Also there are a few blue check doctors on there giving some frightening analysis based on the way he reacted to the hit.

Edited by Wigeon

Scary thing is how his body went limp and he lost the drive in his legs. Good thing is, it looks like he may have been able to generate some force with his lower body when he rolled off of his arm.

Hope he is alright.

With the way these guys hit and some of the collisions I've seen over the years, it's odd that some of the worst injuries come from some of the more benign hits...

More Twitter chatter, nothing confirmed, just rumblings that they are going to move him asap from the hospital to Duke Medical Center which is known for treating major spinal chord injuries.

Not good.

Being a PT and seeing people who have been paralyzed, the hit looked scary.  The way he rolled over, his legs appeared to have no "tone" in them, which would suggest an injury to his spinal cord.  How severe, we won't know for awhile.  If you watch the video, he generates the rolling motion with his trunk, but doesn't have any control of his legs; they are kind of a long for the ride.  This would suggest he has a lumbar cord injury.

Sometimes the injuries are transient, in which you can essentially "bruise" the spinal cord and cause a temporary paralysis.  This is called neurapraxia.

What's a little confusing (and may be a some good luck) is that his head is the principle point of contact.  In cases like this, the patient will lose all movement in his arms AND legs.  Shazier was able to clearly move his arms following the his, which would suggest the nerves in his neck are ok.

Hopefully it's nothing serious and he'll be back on the field.

Either way I'll be praying for him tonight.

2 mins ago, Wigeon said:

More Twitter chatter, nothing confirmed, just rumblings that they are going to move him asap from the hospital to Duke Medical Center which is known for treating major spinal chord injuries.

Not good.

If it is a cord injury, he may have a burst fracture in his spine.  They'll take him into surgery to try and remove any compression to his cord from a fractured vertebrae.

Sounds like they took him in for some imaging and didn't do any surgeries which is really good news! They diagnosed him with a spinal cord contusion and they are going to keep him under observation.  We'll see how things progress, hopefully he gets full recovery.

Despite the injury some have said he was at fault using the crown of the helmet to lead in the tackle.